Bachmann Harry Potter set - any good?

Hi

I have been looking at the Harry Potter Train Set from BACHMANN and am wondering if anyone here has it and if so, is it an "ok" set?

It seems like good value, but not if the detail levels and build standard are of a low quality. I am unconcerned about the track and

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Phil: The loco is the Bachmann Hall but in a very gloss finish - paler than the Hornby colour, and with a larger Hogwarts logo. Some point out that it was in fact a Hall that was used in Scotland in the film albeit called a castle. The coaches have NO interior or windows, and are the original Mainline mouldings - a complete disappointment - and glossy. The track is Bachmann's ready ballasted steel track (black plastic) as is standard in their sets - whereas their nickel silver is on a grey bed (according to Walthers Catalogue)

Reply to
Phil

sounds pretty average .... but I wonder if it is worth it to "matt down" and detail, as I can get three sets for $110US+del.

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

In message , Phil writes

In fact, if you want to be really pedantic, one of them is a modified Hall and the other isn't but I can't remember which is the model and which is the real thing.

ISTR that the coaches are a far too light shade of red as well.

Reply to
Spyke

"Spyke" wrote

The model is the Modified Hall - Bachmann's original Hall has not yet seen the light of day despite suggestions that the first examples would be in the shops before Christmas.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I am now wondering if an interior detailing kit is available as well as a glass set?

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Phil: (Mid posting): Just forget the Mk1 coaches - and replace them with either the Hornby or Bachmann current Mk1s in Maroon not pink, and without holes in the sides (remember them - for attaching the body) I prefer the Hornby colour matching - but that is of course a (locodrive) Castle. If permitted (actually my brother gave it to Lin) , I would repaint it into standard BR(WR) colours - the supplied shade and gloss being so naff. You may consider the coaches a cheap way of buying bogies with plastic wheelsets?

Reply to
Phil

so you're not a fan then

;)

Reply to
mindesign

Ah, but did they specify which Christmas? :-)

Reply to
Bob Hope

"Bob Hope" wrote

Cynic! :-(

John.

Reply to
John Turner

well for those who were following this thread I have just bought the set

I took on board all the comments regarding this set and feel they were well made. The reason I have "risked" this purchase is because was able to get 3 sets to $96US+delivery to Australia of $45, so all up they have cost me $141US delivered, which I feel the locomotives and carriages are easily worth that. If they turn out to be too tragic, I also think I will be bale to recoup my expenses on eBay.

Thanks again all for your help.

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Well, let us know what _you_ think of it.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Reply to
Graeme Hearn