LENZ Compact Controller - how good?

Hi all

Am ploughing through the masses of info prior to starting my layout build. Am wondering what people think of the:

LENZ compact

It "seems" to have large capacity, but I don't know what I am looking at frankly, so some comments or direction would be a great help

thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Not a bad entry level system, but does not support either programming decoders or any kind of feed back, through a computer interface. If that is a goal, you'll need one of the LZ100 systems.

Reply to
Joe Ellis

"mindesign" wrote

Perfectly happy with mine.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Note that you can program decoders using the Compact itself, you just can't get your computer in on the act as well. You can use the computer interface for driving trains and controlling points. It will only do programming on the programming track (no programming on main capability). This means you can't change acceleration/decelaration parameters after coupling/uncoupling 50 trucks (to represent the extra load).

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

To clarify a bit, it does support programming decoders, but not layout feedback or a computer interface. When you need either of those you can upgrade to a higher spec Lenz system and the compact can still function as a controller on that system, or can be used as a workbench tester. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Also the compact holds its second hand value well so can easily be sold on if upgrading.

Reply to
Nigel Emery

ok - many thanks all ...... what I ultimately would LOVE to be able to do is: schedule operational timetables.

however, as I am only recommencing the hobby after a long absence (apologies to those who have heard me say this over and over), here is what I would like to be bale to do once the layout is up and running

run several trains at once operate signals and points centrally operate accompanying sounds and lighting Do so wirelessly if possible.

Ultimately

all of the above PLUS a higher level of automation.

BTW I "imagine" a pretty basic PC or PDA (palm pilot etc.) would do all I need it to do as this functionality is extremely basic from a PC's processing power point of view. But what operating system would I have to use? is it a proprietary one offered by the "LENZ's" of the world or not?

Thanks again everyone for the tremendous support here - it means I will not have to RE-DO a whole range of things.

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

If you want to do all that with commercial offerings you are going to need a deep pocket, if you are comfortable with DIY electronics it can be done much more reasonably, designs and kits for appropriate I/O are available and a fair choice of software.

I suggest you go to this page and spend some time exploring the links. also this page and this page

Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

OK, so the Lenz Compact is out. (no computer interface capability)

You should look into the JMRI software. Sounds like it's exactly what you will need, and runs on nearly any platform (Mac, Linux, Windows). and with every major DCC vendor's system. Here's the link to the software:

and the User's group:

Best of all, it's open source, constantly evolving, and the price is right... it's free.

Reply to
Joe Ellis

Being Java based you'll need a PC > Pentium 1 as it is a bit CPU intensive other than that it'll do what you want and with a loco buffer or MS100 you can use it program decoders easier than using a command station.

I use the JMRI with MS100 to progam decoders and is just about usable on P 100 system, a little slow hence recommended system above.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Thanks - I have a P2 266 sitting in my hallway that I was about to toss out .... I imagine this would work fine - what do you reckon?

or of course I could use my silicon graphics workstation that was used to create the FX in the film The Matrix

nah - I think I will stick to the P2

:)

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Hmm so for someone like me, who;s planning a very small layout, with no aspirations for automated control etc a compact should be more than adequate?

Reply to
pmorgan_cym

wrote

My layout is slowly evolving into a double track secondary route around the edges of a room which is approximately 20'0" x 11'0". I envisage a

*maximum* of two double-headed trains runing at once with the possibility of an additional loco shunting in one of the yards. I'm hoping that the 2.5Amp rating of the Compact will operate that without too much trouble.

I've no plans to operate points or signalling using DCC so the Compact is purely there to operate trains and to keep the wiring simple. I've added a couple of LH30 controllers and will have plug in operating point around the layout. So far I'm more than happy with my investment.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

My current layout is a double track loop with a bit of siding in an area

2.4m by 1.2m (8' by 4'). Using the compact plus an additional LH30 controller I can have all 4 locos circulating at once (that is two on each track) at near their maximum speed (actually the maximum speed of the slower loco in each pair). If I am distracted, one of the locos will catch the one in front ... OK this is a silly way to operate trains, but it demonstrates the power capability and the children like it.

I am about to order some additional points to allow more interesting operation (at sensible speeds).

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

I'd have thought it would work fine from a technical perspective.

However, I would recommend trying out various controllers to learn the ergonomics in your hands; try to assess them objectively and not go in trying to replicate preferences for analogue controls.

I recently tried a Compact, the LH-90 and also the LH-100 push-button controller, and came away with the view that the push-button controller of the LH-100 was a lot easier to use than the Compact or LH-90, both in respect of speed control and loco selection.

However, on another occaision, I'd used a Fremo FRED (slightly different to the Uhlenbrock commercial version) and really liked that. One does loco selection on an Intellibox master unit, and "despatches" the loco to the FRED. The FRED comes into its own if one can afford to get one controller per locomotive (or at least one controller per active locomotive).

So, my current preference for ease of use puts the Compact (and LH-90) last of those three which I've tried. But that's my personal preference, yours might be different.

- Nigel

Reply to
NC

Should be fine for that application, the above adapters are availble at

amongst others.

Chris

Reply to
Chris