Bachmann DCC Controller 36-500

Hi All,

After reading the reply to my earlier post "Help" I have been looking at various DCC controllers, as money is going to be a bit tight in the beginning due to all I have to purchase (track, points, point motors, etc) I thought this was a reasonably priced starter DCC controller, and as it is supposed to be fully compatible with the Lenz system if I wish to upgrade later I have the comfort of knowing that it will not cause me to change everything.

Now for the questions, Does anyone know of any issues with this controller? will it suffice as a starter outfit for my proposed layout (see "Help")?

Any advice would be welcome.

I live in the South West of England (Plymouth), and suggestions to clubs or societies to visit would also be gratefully received.

Eddie.

Reply to
Edward Bray

Hi Edward The Bachmann controller does what it sez on the tin! It controls

9 DCC loco's and 1 DC loco or 10 DCC. It has 4 function keys that can control the lights on the loco. It also allows on track programming of loco addresses - more or less end of story. Bachmann are suppose to be bringing out other control modules that plug into the side of the main control. They demonstrated this new module at this years Alexander Palace exhibition which basically allowed another person to control loco's. At the moment to my knowledge points, signals etc are not catered for but are supposed to be on the drawing board!

I bought one for my 7 year old Grandson to get the hang of DCC. Within 3 weeks he had 'outgrown' the controller and wants a more sophisticated device - more expense for Christmas! I think the best route for DCC is to look at the Lenz Compact. It is small compact, efficient, controls up to 99 loco's, allows sophisticated programming and it has enough 'add on's for signals, points etc that you can throw a stick at. After 3 weeks of using the Bachmann device it took my Grandson all of 2 minutes to master the control and selection of a loco on my Compact and now with a bit of help from Grandpops he is into programming CV's.

Mine came off Ebay at £70.00 including the transformer so not all that more expensive than the a new Bachmann. Chris Warcup

Reply to
Chris Warcup

Thanks for your reply Chris,

Had a look at the Lenz compact and that with the transformer will set me back about £130, I was looking at £120 for a large Gaugemaster anyway (Q or TS) along with associated wiring I don't expect there is a lot in it. I will order one tomorrow from Hattons. Could have a basic set up up and running by Wednesday.

Eddie

Reply to
Edward Bray

Don't know where you are looking at for your prices - certainly the list price for the Lenz Compact is around £120. But if you shop around, you can get them considerably cheaper, and if you opt for a transformer from another supplier (it doesn't have to be the Lenz one, although that is good) you can be fully kitted out for £65-70. I paid £80 for my compact, and that was with the Lenz transformer.

Although I've not got anything against the Bachmann EZ-DCC controller - it is very basic, you can only control 10 loco's, and you cant do anything more with them than you could with DC control, it is more an introductory controller, rather than something with which to run a layour such as the one you propose. With the Lenz Compact, you can program all the CV 's in a loco decoder, so that your shunting locos can be programmed to have a top speed of 30mph etc. All your locos can have their own individual performance, determined by you, based on their characteristics.

Reply to
John Ruddy

controller?

Eddie,

As I understand it you are limited to 10 addresses (control of 10 locos) and you cannot gain access to configuration values (CVs) very easily. The CV is what is used to tune up your locomotive performance e.g. acceleration, switching on/off emf (a must for geared drive locomotives (Hornby,Lima etc).

I have said this to no end of people. Once the DCC bug bites (and it will when you learn what is possible), you are better off saving up for the more expensive controllers. I use the Lenz Set 100 which is a top of the range outfit. But because it is forwardly and backwardly compatible plus expandable it is ideal. Other makes of DCC are now offering similar facilities. Providing they are NMRA compliant you cannot go wrong.

Certainly, delay going DCC until you have sufficient funds for a decent outfit otherwise you will be disappointed. Steve

Reply to
titans

If you're looking at Lenz then do give our very own John Turner a try. Actually I think you could benefit from a chat with him.

Reply to
Ed Callaghan

Hi John,

Thanks for the info, best price I have found so far is £82 for the Lenz Compact and a further £34 for the Lenz TR100 from Hattons. I would appreciate it if you could point me to a cheaper source.

Also as an aside, can you use the Lenz TR150 transformer, it seems a little dearer at £44 but a lot more power for little extra money.

Regards, Eddie

Email me direct by removing ??? from email address or try eddiebray at blueyonder dot co dot uk

Reply to
Edward Bray

Hi Steve, and many thanks for your reply.

I have already decided to go down the Lenz Compact route as It has been recommended and I have spent all day researching and reading reviews.

I have decided to make my layout a representation of the GWR Brent-Kingsbridge branch line concentrating on the Kingsbridge Station area, but, with one difference. I am going to complete what the GWR did not and that is to take what was the terminus line, through to Salcombe. This was originally planned but never came to fruition. Line closed in Sept 1963.

The through line will run all around the perimeter of the loft and will return from Salcome in the same direction that it left going towards Brent.

If I ever complete the first part of the layout then I may expand the far end of the loft and actually build a Salcombe station based on another GWR station setup.

Running stock will be a 45series Prarie Tank with a couple of coaches. And I will have a Bachmann 08 class shunter to play with as I really like that model.

Other than the Grandson's "Thomas" engines already quoted I do not expect to buy any others for a while, so feel that the Compact will be more than sufficient for my needs.

Thanks again for your reply,

Eddie.

Reply to
Edward Bray

I trust you mean you'll oder a Lenz compact. A Gaugemaster with associated wiring will cost at least GBP130. As others have noted, you can but DCC systems well belwo list.

Good luck and have fun!

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Hi Wolf,

Bought a Lenz Compact starter set with Transformer, Points controller and a couple of decoders for £160 as well as some other bits and pieces. Looking forward to playing trains now.

Could do with a little help explaining to the missus how I have just spent £520 (about 800 US$) on train toys (her words not mine).

Eddie.

Reply to
Edward Bray

If you don't smoke, point out expensive and unhealthy that pastime is compared to toy trains. If you do smoke, quit, and use the money saved to finance the trains. That's what I did. :-) If I were still smoking at the rate I did when I quit, I would be spending about $10 _a day_ on cigarettes.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Hi Wolf,

Used that one to purchase my boat. Haven't smoked for 20 years now, suppose I could start again and then offer to quit :)

Or just be>> Hi Wolf,

Reply to
Edward Bray

"Edward Bray" wrote

Bought my first brand new car within 6 months of quitting the evil weed - used to do 60 a day! Now I can't stand the smell of the things, and the sooner mainland UK follows Belfast's lead, the better.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The message from "John Turner" contains these words:

There are none so pure as the converted ........ !

Reply to
Colin Reeves

"Colin Reeves" wrote

LOL - not pure, just seen the light. :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

A little too much of the Crown Royal, Wolf? -)

Reply to
MartinS