Bachmann Class 40 - latest news.

The fist of the new Bachmann class 40 (D325, green with split headcode boxes) arrived in stock today.

--
Best wishes,
John Turner,

What do you think of it John? Any news on the blue on yet?
--
Regards,

James Christie
"James Christie" wrote

Well my initial reaction (without any serious attempt at comparing it with prototype photographs or drawings) is that it looks like a class 40, runs like a dream and is nicely finished.
I'm not totally convinced by the size of the split headcode panels, they look a little on the large size but quick reference to
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/53amodels//picture/40139a-ZC-161284.jpg suggests they were bigger than I recalled, so maybe I'm being a little unfair.
Certainly a massive improvement on both the Lima and Joueff versions, if only in terms of running qualities, but I can't really imagine anyone preferring those earlier releases.
Cheap at around 50 discount price!!
John.
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:44:08 +0100, "John Turner"
50 off??!!
(ahh, it was a nice dream while it lasted...) :)
Pete
--
http://www.ukrecmodelsrail.co.uk an unofficial website for the newsgroup
http://www.bristol-rail.co.uk an archive of photos from the Bristol area

Does your shop have a website John?
--
Regards,

James Christie
http://www.53amodels.co.uk /
HTH
--
DAS,

All opinions are mine and mine alone

Ta.
--
Regards,

James Christie

I'll second that - I saw one in action on Saturday and it really does look the business and runs beautifully - looking forward to getting my hands on a blue centre headcode version :)

They look about right to me - bodes well for the 66 and split-headcode 37 now that Bachmann are getting it pretty much spot-on following the original 37 debacle.

Yet you can bet the Lima/Jouef 40s will still fetch silly money on eBay. :-S
btw John, is it prototypical 6-axle drive or have Bachmann listened to the pleas for more all-wheel-drive locos when they shouldn't have? ;o) -- *** http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/ *** Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk) MSN: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com

It could be difficult making it all-wheel drive. Aren't the carrying wheels smaller than the drivers?
--
John Sullivan
OO in the garden http://www.yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk/railway/railway.html
John Sullivan wrote:-

He didn't say "all-wheel drive", he said "6-axle drive". A 1Co-Co1 has 8 axles. The drive wheels are all the same diameter.
(kim)

I suggest (kim) that you reread the question I was answering, where all-wheel drive _is_ mentioned.
--
John Sullivan
OO in the garden http://www.yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk/railway/railway.html
"Rich Mackin" wrote

Just two axles powered on each bogie, but still pulls a prototypicaly load on my layout, so who cares?
John.
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:22:29 +0100, "John Turner"

I do. I was surprised that Bachman so extensively redesigned their Peak chassis without correcting its only serious flaw. Its not just that only 4 wheels per bogie are driven but more that the bogie pivots in the wrong place and hence looks wrong on curves. It does lose out on traction with half the axles sprung and thus reducing the available adhesion on the driven axles. I find the 'new' version pulls two coaches less that the old one, only equivalent to a 24 in fact and way less than Hornby's 50 (without its traction tyres). So as of now I'm not buying a 40, if it had 6 axle drive I would definately buy one or more. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit <http://www.grovenor.dsl.pipex.com/ Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

the
I'm not too fussed about 6-axle drive, but if it does what it's supposed to, then I'll be eagerly awaiting the blue 40s :-)
-- *** http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/ *** Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk) MSN: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com
"Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept." wrote

planning
No lights Andy.
John.
John Turner wrote:-

So UK customers will get half a Class 66 while the rest of Europe gets a whole Class 66.
(kim)
"kim" wrote

whole
My comments related to the Class 40, not the 66. I'm not sure of the Bachmann spec for the 66 yet, so cannot comment on whether that will have lights or not.
John.
Rich Mackin wrote:-

Oh yeah? Will the Bachmann's UK Class 66 have working lights, built-in DCC and sound FX chip as per its continental H0 rivals?
(kim)

now
37
and
Only if UK modellers are willing to pay the equivalent of 160-200 Euros, which is what Roco/Mehano etc cost these days. From what I've seen on various groups, they're only willing to pay this for c*** on E-Bay... Brian
"kim" wrote

and
Will it be the same price, I think not? I for one don't want sound and DCC fitted, so why should I have to pay extra for those that do?
John.