Bachmann Class 40 - latest news.

The fist of the new Bachmann class 40 (D325, green with split headcode
boxes) arrived in stock today.
Reply to
John Turner
In message , John Turner writes
What do you think of it John? Any news on the blue on yet?
Reply to
James Christie
"James Christie" wrote
Well my initial reaction (without any serious attempt at comparing it with prototype photographs or drawings) is that it looks like a class 40, runs like a dream and is nicely finished.
I'm not totally convinced by the size of the split headcode panels, they look a little on the large size but quick reference to
suggests they were bigger than I recalled, so maybe I'm being a little unfair.
Certainly a massive improvement on both the Lima and Joueff versions, if only in terms of running qualities, but I can't really imagine anyone preferring those earlier releases.
Cheap at around £50 discount price!!
John.
Reply to
John Turner
£50 off??!!
(ahh, it was a nice dream while it lasted...) :)
Pete
Reply to
mutley
In message , John Turner writes
Does your shop have a website John?
Reply to
James Christie
HTH
Reply to
David Skipsey
In message , David Skipsey writes
Ta.
Reply to
James Christie
I'll second that - I saw one in action on Saturday and it really does look the business and runs beautifully - looking forward to getting my hands on a blue centre headcode version :)
They look about right to me - bodes well for the 66 and split-headcode 37 now that Bachmann are getting it pretty much spot-on following the original 37 debacle.
Yet you can bet the Lima/Jouef 40s will still fetch silly money on eBay. :-S
btw John, is it prototypical 6-axle drive or have Bachmann listened to the pleas for more all-wheel-drive locos when they shouldn't have? ;o) -- ***
*** Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk) MSN: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com
Reply to
Rich Mackin
In message , Rich Mackin writes
It could be difficult making it all-wheel drive. Aren't the carrying wheels smaller than the drivers?
Reply to
John Sullivan
"Rich Mackin" wrote
Just two axles powered on each bogie, but still pulls a prototypicaly load on my layout, so who cares?
John.
Reply to
John Turner
John Sullivan wrote:-
He didn't say "all-wheel drive", he said "6-axle drive". A 1Co-Co1 has 8 axles. The drive wheels are all the same diameter.
(kim)
Reply to
kim
Rich Mackin wrote:-
Oh yeah? Will the Bachmann's UK Class 66 have working lights, built-in DCC and sound FX chip as per its continental H0 rivals?
(kim)
Reply to
kim
Only if UK modellers are willing to pay the equivalent of 160-200 Euros, which is what Roco/Mehano etc cost these days. From what I've seen on various groups, they're only willing to pay this for c*** on E-Bay... Brian
Reply to
BH Williams
I do. I was surprised that Bachman so extensively redesigned their Peak chassis without correcting its only serious flaw. Its not just that only 4 wheels per bogie are driven but more that the bogie pivots in the wrong place and hence looks wrong on curves. It does lose out on traction with half the axles sprung and thus reducing the available adhesion on the driven axles. I find the 'new' version pulls two coaches less that the old one, only equivalent to a 24 in fact and way less than Hornby's 50 (without its traction tyres). So as of now I'm not buying a 40, if it had 6 axle drive I would definately buy one or more. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.
Reply to
Keith Norgrove
In message , kim writes
I suggest (kim) that you reread the question I was answering, where all-wheel drive _is_ mentioned.
Reply to
John Sullivan
I'm not too fussed about 6-axle drive, but if it does what it's supposed to, then I'll be eagerly awaiting the blue 40s :-)
-- ***
*** Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk) MSN: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com
Reply to
Rich Mackin
"kim" wrote
Will it be the same price, I think not? I for one don't want sound and DCC fitted, so why should I have to pay extra for those that do?
John.
Reply to
John Turner
"John Turner"
Hear, hear.
This debate is also going on over this side of the Pond.
By all means make locos "DCC Ready" and or "Sound Chip Ready" but make either DCC or sound an extra cost upgrade. Don't foister it off on those of us that don't want it, in order to keep the price(s) down for those that do.
-- Cheers Roger T.
Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.
John Turner wrote:-
Some of us would like to at least be offered the choice. I can buy a Bachmann Class 24 with built-in DCC so why should I not be allowed to buy a Class 66 with same?
(kim)
Reply to
kim
Roger T. wrote:-
Here is a newsflash. Model manufacturers are in business to make a profit, not to keep prices down. DCC is coming whether we like it or not. Since it is infinitely cheaper to fit chips at source than it is at home it makes sense to offer them already fitted.
(kim)
Reply to
kim