Bachmann Class 40 - latest news.

Wait for the mehano 66s then, they have the option of coming pre installed with loksound sound decoder.

Freightliner

Reply to
FuNky2k

In message , kim writes

I have not heard that Hornby's live steam enterprise is a fiasco. From what I have read it has been a great success. Perhaps you would like to provide chapter and verse to support your statement, quoted above.

Reply to
John Sullivan

"kim" wrote

Not at all, I always thought the Hornby *live steam thing* was a commercial blind alley, and still do. We had a relatively small flurry of sales around last Christmas, but have not sold one for some time.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"FuNky2k" wrote

Well I hope it's an improvement on many of their models, but as I believe it's going to be HO scale only I suspect it will have only minority interest over here.

Note it also has the *option* of sound -rather different to having it forced down one's throat.

there doesn't seem to be much information on it there.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Fortunately some of their models are much better than their website!

Looks great, although apparently it can't pull the skin off a rice pudding!

Pete

Reply to
mutley

John Sullivan wrote:-

It has been "such a great success" that Kohler has been replaced as marketing director by someone whom Hornby hope is more in touch with customers living in the 21st Century.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

over 8000 sets sold so far this year. (apparently) The concept broke even at 2000 sets. A great success by any standards and regardless of whether it can be/will be repeated.

The new marketing director has been brought in to help launch a 'new' range of products in new marketplaces. Not that Kohler was the previous marketing director anyway.

Pete

Reply to
mutley

John Turner wrote:-

Is it true that some motors slow to a crawl, glow hot and lose magnetism when driven by certain types of feedback controller?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Pete wrote:-

At no more cost or effort Hornby could have developed its own DCC system instead.

Oh I see, he was the tea boy and he needed a new electric kettle.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

neither here nor there, or anything to do with your claim that live steam was unsuccessful and that Kohler was 'replaced' in his job as marketing director.

Pete

Reply to
mutley

Pete wrote:-

1) Live steam is a dead end 2) Simon Kohler made a point of personally associating himself with the launch of live steam 3) Simon Kohler is no longer marketing manager of Hornby 4) His replacement comes from the electronics industry

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In message , kim writes

Life is a dead end.

Reply to
John Sullivan

"kim" wrote

Kohler was never a director as far as I'm aware. I believe he is/was (delete as appropriate) Marketing Manager.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"kim" wrote

Having never had that problem myself I cannot speak from personal experience.

However, (the original) Graham Farish company, recommended that their rather naff N-gauge motors should not be used with feedback controllers.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Phil: I'm waiting for a West Country version of the Live Steam... now that could get expensive 8-(

Reply to
Phil

It is interesting to see the sets selling for under £500 now. My local model shop (Holt MR) sold out of the sets he had, I think it was about 5 but has had little or no interest in the additional locos, I think he has sold one silver fox or whatever the silver A4 is?

Simon

Reply to
piemanlarger

I take it sound is not for you john? Personally I think it is superb on the Broadway locos I have. in fact, I am selling the US ho stuff I have that does not have sound as they just dont compare! If only there were decent sound systems for UK stuff, who's ever heard of a quiet steam engine!

Reply to
piemanlarger

The message from Phil contains these words:

Especially the chain-driven valve gear...

Reply to
David Jackson

John Turner wrote:-

As far as I can tell from reading the business press the two terms are interchangeable. He was the man in charge of marketing which is what is important. You do not have to be on the board of directors in order to be a marketing director.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"Adrian" wrote

I suggested it was a commercial blind alley because I honestly do not see it as a long term strategic product for Hornby. They may indeed have made money on it, and power to their elbow, but I don't see it figuring in their range in five years time.

John.

Reply to
John Turner