Signalling for Newbies

Is there a good straightforward reference on signalling for newbies?
My (LNER) layout is nearing competion of the track laying, the points
will be electrically operated, and I'd quite like to have at least
some signals!
I need to know things like how you'd decide how far from a point a
signal should be, and what the rules would be for deciding how long a
section of road should be. I am a regular train passenger, but never
saw how it was in the old days.
And yes, I know it's arse about face. As previously stated, with two
small boys (and one big one) in the house, playing trains is the main
focus :-)
Guy
Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?
Good bet would be
You might find some stuff of use at
The little Peco booklet 'signalling the layout' is a good start, and IIRC the paperback book Signalling in the Age of Steam should cover all you need (not sure its still in print though)
HTH
Mike
Reply to
Mike
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 22:23:44 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@notigg.not.no wrote in message :
Yes, thanks very much, also thanks to Stevan for emailing the link to signalbox.org.
Guy
Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?
Another useful link...