Coming out of the shadows

Hi all and Merry Christmas.

I have been lurking around the shadows of this group for a while. Now is a good a time as any to make an appearance.

I used to be an engineer (time served apprentice) before I moved into electronics 15 years ago. Just listening in is starting to bring the stuff back to me.

I have been keeping my eyes open for a lathe (I am wanting to build a steam engine, had the book for Minnie by LC Mason for years now). My neighbour had told me of a Myford Super 7 he knows of, but I probably won't get it now. :-( (It apparently had all the attachments, chucks, milling etc, and I think it was a long bed model). I am looking for a lathe with a milling attachment (saves space and costs, not that I need to save space, I have loads, but having just finished my contract, cost is important).

Does anyone know of any clubs/members in the Ashfield area? I would be interested to find out. (Please do the obvious to my email address to reply privately, or reply to the list)

Apart from steam engines, I am interested in hearing what other projects people are working with. It seems that most home engineers tend to go for steam engines or locos. One of my future projects is to complete a robot arm (and other robotic ideas) and interface them to my computers. (I built a satellite ground station simulator using computers when I was in the air force, putting electronics into motion is the next step for me.)

BTW... On the flooring topic, when my workshop is set up, I will probably be using duckboards against the machines over the painted concrete floor. This is what I remember when I was coming through college and at the factory.

Best regards, Dave Colliver.

Dave

Should you do so then ensure that the software to control the motors, whether stepper motors or linear motors with feedback control, is running in outboard processors.

Running under Windows (assuming that you are) will introduce errors caused by Windows disappearing up its own rectum for tens of milliseconds at a time.

A nice modern microcomputer with lots of I/O, more than enough to drive keyboard, LCD, motor drivers and almost anything you desire simultaneously is the V850ES/KF1 from NEC. It's guaranteed to pull the rug out from under the 8051-derivative and PIC marketplace. (it's a 32 bit RISC microcomputer with 128KB Flash and 6KB of RAM in an 80pin QFP package)

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Shame you don't follow your own advce and do likewise.

Happy christmas,

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply. Website:-

Anthony Britt

Stupid Boy.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Stupid boy.

(Note that boy should not be capitalized, n*****ts).

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply. Website:-

Anthony Britt

Dave if you fancy an eighty mile each way trip read below.. THATS IF MY DETECTIVE WORK IS RIGHT AND YOU LIVE IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE next sesion on the 7th january. BTW EVERYONE......NO ONE WAS INTERESTED LAST TIME.

Here's a good chance for people living in the UK to learn more about operating machinery.

Every Wednesday 1pm ?430 pm Accrington Technical College invites you metalworking people to use there machines for what ever you want.

If like me you would like to have the chance to operate machinery that you have never operated before and be supervised doing it?.this is your big break.

Complete newbies to metal working and engineering are welcome.

Or if you fancy a go on one of the machines below your welcome.

2 horizontal grinders.

Richmond vertical Millar with DRO

2 Parkson vertical millers with DRO.

1 Ajax horizontal miller with DRO.

1 Elliot shaper

1 Midsaw vertical bandsaw.

1 qualteas mechanical hacksaw. 1x Bridgeport series 1 veriespeed with DRO

2x Colchester triumph 2000 lathe

3x Harrison 600 lathe

3x Colchester student lathe

1x Harrison m250 lathe

3 Elliot bench drills

1 Elliot radial arm drill

as well as all the necessary tooling rotary tables and dividing heads.

The reason I'm telling you all this is because the session is in danger of being withdrawn if more people don't turn up?..there are about 15 people that turn up now regularly

The price for 10 sessions is £40?that's all?..yes only £4 a session?..

The materials are supplied free of charge.

So please everyone ??enrol .

To enrol please contact Don Kitson, Accrington Lancs, 01282 603031 snipped-for-privacy@g3trk.freeserve.co.uk all the best????mark

Reply to
mark

Talking s**te again Bean, why don't you dissapear up your own rectum, rather than giving bad advice.

-- Steve Blackmore

Reply to
Steve Blackmore