O scale finescale (proto 7?)

Perhaps this post should be headed "Curate's egg" in reference to my knowledge base. Bear with me if I ask what seems, to the initiated, inane questions.

OK, got that out the way. I am interested in "returning" to modelling British outline, but unlike my early 4mm Hornby attempts, I have learnt a little more since then through modelling the US scene, first in HO scale, and now in On30. I am also enarmoured of the detail in 7 mm (my ageing eyes also appreciate the larger scale) so I want to try out building loco's, rolling stock, track and buildings in this scale. In finescale 7mm. Hopefully I will be able to build a small modular layout which can fit inside my existing train shed ,without disrupting my On30 layout.

Layouts, track - although handlaid bullhead should be interesting - wagons and coaches I am not too worried about, I can apply what I have learned here and feel confident enough to be satisfied with the outcome (even if others are not so kind). My first question about the area I know least about, 7mm locomotive construction, refers to DJH kits (I fell in love with the Ivatt

2-6-0). I see wheels and motor/gearbox are sold separately, which enables the modeller to choose his/her own preference in these areas. I also have been looking at the Slaters range of wheels, with their 3/16" axles. Does anybody know if the DJH kits take this axle size? Or is there something dark and evil lurking here to trap the unwary Antipodean modeller?

I have joined the Gauge O Guild, and once I can keep my head above water I will probably annoy them, but in the interim I am trusting that the friendly and helpful nature of the members of this news group will shine through (grovel, grovel).

All comments - except about a recent Ashes cricket series - gratefully received.

Steve Newcastle-not-on-Tyne, NSW Aust

Reply to
Steve Magee

I think you need to be careful with your terminology (or decide what you're target is).

There is old O-scale (coarse) which is pretty much obselete for indoor standard gauge in the UK, it serves some collectors and some garden rail people (particularly 16mm scale narrow gauge).

There is O-scale (fine) which is what most Gauge-O members seem to run. Within this, there is the debate over reducing the track gauge (and thus tightening the flangeways) by 0.5mm to improve running.

And there is ScaleSeven, which is about as finescale standard as you can get. Most ScaleSeven modellers seem to make use of O bits and pieces, but the track and wheels are a lot more precisely engineered.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

You have some real experts on UK style 0 gauge just near you in Sydney, readily contactable through the BRMA, I suggest you give them a visit. Keith

Reply to
Keith

Said I'd ask some inane questions. It's finescale I'm interested in, Scale 7 may be a wee bit beyond my standards.

Yes - just starting to pick up on that.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Magee

My first question about the area I know least

Almost everyone uses Slaters wheels unless they are extremely rich, or have a lathe and turn their own. I would be very surprised if any kit-maker marketed something incompatible with 3/16th drivers and 1/8th bogie/pony. And with the peculiarities of manufacturing to the fore, it is cheaper to buy Imperial ground steel than metric!

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes