Producing Scale Drawings On the Computer.

G'day all,
Just out of curiosity, who here uses their computer to create scale drawings for their modelling? Indeed, does anybody else?
What sort of software do you use, and on what platform?
I use a G3 iMac, and a positively ancient vector drawing application, FreeHand 3.1. Yes, it's nearly as old as I am!
At the moment I'm working on drawings of the Kintetsu 30" gauge electric multiple unit stock, and some NSWGR freight vehicles in 7mm/O scale. The latter are for a friend who has become a cottage industry kit producer.
Just wondering.
Mark.
Hi Mark, I use AutoCAD LT ( a "light"version of AutoCAD) on a Pentium 4 PC. It may be a bit pricey for some but it was what I was used to using at work. There are some other capable CAD programs out there for less but I am unfamiliar with them so will not attempt to compare with AutoCAD. Lynn

electric
The
producer.
Lynn Caron wrote:

Lynn, like you my initial experience of CAD was through work, and that influenced my choice of a system and software for home use. I reckon a lot of people probably start out the same way.
All the best,
Mark.
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 18:09:20 UTC, Mark Newton

I do.

I use Generic Cadd, a DOS program on a PC. It is a full-fledged 2-D CAD program. The nice part is that I can input data in 12" to the foot format and when done scale by 1/87.09 and have an HO drawing. Very handy.
--
ernie fisch

Ernie Fisch wrote:

That sounds like a very useful feature. I can do something "sort-of" similar with FreeHand, but only up to a certain size limit, after which it's back to the calculator!
I take it that 1/87.09 is the exact ratio for HO? I've been a bit lazy, and simply used 1/87.
Gotta go, the prototype police are knocking my door down! <VBG!>
All the best,
Mark
On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 10:23:30 UTC, Mark Newton

Actually it is 87.086 to the nearest three places. Only an engineer would give an RA. 1/87 works quite well, being less than .1% off.
The really nice part is that once the drawing is scaled it can be dimensioned in the actual HO dimensions, all done by the computer. Very handy.
--
ernie fisch

Ernie Fisch wrote:

1:87 is correct everywhere but in the US and Britain. 3.5mm:1 foot is correct in Britain. 1:87.1 is incorrect in the USA. ;-)

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 04:09:20 +1000, Mark Newton wrote:
=>What sort of software do you use, and on what platform?
DC2, a CAD program very like Autocad, running in DOS. I've also used miscellaneous bit-map drawing programs that come "free" with Windows. Those ar nearly useless IMO.
Some general observations:
a) If you can't draw with paper and pencil plus the usual tools (triangle, scale, etc), you can't draw with a computer either. That's the most important single fact about drawing programs.
b) For simple quick and dirty jobs, paper and pencil is faster than a computer. A computer is good when you have a lot of repetitious stuff, such as 36 windows on the side of low rise building; and it's good for complex drawings of complex machinery, etc.
c) For most people, the learning curve for a CAD program is steep - so steep that unless you will do a lot of drawing with it (ie, a drawing a week or more), you will be relearning the program every time you start it.
d) The printer will produce a nice, clean copy of the drawing - cleaner and neater than I can do it with paper and pencil, anyhow. So the CAD program is sometimes worth using even for simple drawings.
--

Wolf Kirchmeir
Blind River, Ontario, Canada
On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 04:09:20 +1000, Mark Newton wrote:

I use Autocad 2000 on a very ancient Pentium 1--200 mmx running Windows 95. It is a terrific program and I found it to be somewhat intuitive once I understood that learning a CAD program is like learning a new language. You cannot "freeze up" when reading the instructions.
(Autocad light is the same for what we are undertaking)
It will not draw for you--you must have all the skills associated with mechanical drawing and understand the processes for generating drawings.
Learning the program became manditory when I decided to have the parts for my next kit laser cut--a small carpenter gothic church. Most laser cutters use autocad files.
As a bonus, the program is being used more and more in my line of work-drawing sets for films and TV. So learning the program will become doubly benificial.
Bruce West Main Street Heritage Models http://www.mainstreet-heritage.com
Toss "wospam" to e-mail
MainStHtge wrote:

It's interesting you mention that, Bruce - a lot of the local live steam blokes get parts like engine frames laser cut now, by the same means. Also, some have had spoked wheels cut from plate using a high-pressure water/abrasive particle machine, and it also use autocad files. It's all amazing stuff.
All the best,
Mark.

mandatory. Think "mandate" <Spanish/Portuguese "mandar" - to order

Think "benEfit". < Italian "bene" < Latin "bona" - good or well..
separate - always remember there is "a rat" in the middle of separate.
My worst one that I always have to look up: occurrence. Or is it occurance? Anyone have a good mnemonic for that one? I can never remember which is correct.
Jay "misspell" is most misspelled word in English.
Jay Cunington writ: My worst one that I always have to look up: occurrence. Or is it occurance? Anyone have a good mnemonic for that one? I can never remember which is correct. ----------------------------------------------- If it occurred, it's an occurrence. If it occurad . . . well, then you'll know it's wrong!<g>
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Resources: Links to over 500 helpful sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore.html

Thanks, Bill. I'll remember that. I think.
Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!
On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 22:09:49 -0400 (EDT), Bill wrote:
=>Jay Cunington writ: =>My worst one that I always have to look up: occurrence. Or is it =>occurance? Anyone have a good mnemonic for that one? I can never =>remember which is correct. =>----------------------------------------------- =>If it occurred, it's an occurrence. If it occurad . . . well, then =>you'll know it's wrong!<g> => =>Bill =>Bill's Railroad Empire =>N Scale Model Railroad:
Basic rule: If there's a related verb (occur) , spell -ence (occurrence.)
The verbs ending in -end (defend, pretend) have their own quirks, though - you'll just have to memorize (or memorise).
--

Wolf Kirchmeir
Blind River, Ontario, Canada
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

Would colour coding help?
"E Litella"

More than color coding would. :-)
-- Cheers Roger T.
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Home of the Great Eastern Railway
Larry Blanchard wrote:

It's an inexact scIEnce.

All one has to remember is that are no rules in American English, just memory!
Jim Stewart wrote:

You also need leather balls to play rugby!
Bob Boudreau
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

You're not wrong. Presumably that's why they are given away. :-)

Again, you're not wrong - it never ceases to amaze me the number of people who think that the computer will somehow "do the drawing" itself.
I've been fortunate, in that my dad started his engineering career in the drawing office, and my mum was an accomplished watercolor artist. Under their combined tutelage and guidance I have developed into a reasonably competent draftsman/illustrator.

This is what we have found while preparing drawings for the wagon kits. The ability to draw something only once, and then duplicate it as required, is a godsend when dealing with wagons like ours.

Reckon! When I first started, I wondered if I'd ever get the hang of using computers to draw with. But, as the old saying goes, practice makes perfect. The fact that there is so much commonality between applications for the Mac is also a great help.

It certainly will. We recently replaced our rather ancient laser printer with a small, inexpensive HP inkjet model, and the quality of the output is bloody brilliant.
All the best,
Mark.