Scale drawings

Hi guys,
I'm sure that this topic must have come up before, but here goes.
I have only recently begun a layout after a few abortive attempts.
As an ex-millitary modeller, I like to scratch build and convert models
that are not readily available. For me, the inclusion of a breakdown
crane with it's associated match and engineering trucks would be a
great addition to my stock.
Since I'm modelling in 'N' Gauge (1:148), there now seems to be little
in this catagory, either RTR or in kit form. I'm told Fleetline used to
produce a whitemetal kit, but I've had no luck finding one.
Does anyone have, or know where I might find a scale drawing of such a
vehicle, or recommend a book that might include such a drawing (rather
than just illustrations)?
At this stage I'm not too bothered as to the actual UK vehicle in
question, but I'm modelling BR post big four to the 1960's so anything
that made the transition would be good.
Thanks in advance....
Marshon
Reply to
marshon
"marshon" wrote
I can't help with drawings, but there are some pictures of breakdown cranes & associated match trucks etc. on my
website. Click on 'British Rolling Stock & Plant' > 'Plant' and scroll down to the bottom of the page.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
My copy not to hand but I believe there were several drawings in Peter Tatlow's book LNER wagons . . er . . .
A Pictorial Record of LNER Wagons P. Tatlow - OPC - 1976 - ISBN 0 92888 92 7 One of the earliest books on goods wagons it includes stock from all the companies absorbed by the LNER as well as LNER built vehicles. The book consists mainly of photographs with relatively few drawings but provides plenty of material for the kit basher.
Also if attending shows check through the old mag stands, seem to remember a few cropping up now and again over the years, 'fraid I cant me more specific as most of my stuff in storage at the mo.
HTH
Mike
Reply to
Mike Smith
I've uploaded PDF scans of an article by Peter Tatlow in the Nov. 1971 Modeller with details and plans of a LMS/BR 30T Ransomes and Rapier crane. This crane was a bit bigger and a bit more modern than the Cowans Sheldon one shown in his LNER wagons book.
I suspect that there are plans and details of some of the larger cranes in the model railway magazines somewhere but I haven't turned up any references so far.
Jim
Reply to
JimG
Model Railways 1972 June & July - BR 72 Tonne Diesel Crane Model Railway Constructor 1976 June - NER 25 Ton crane Model Railways 1972 October & follow up info 1973 March - LMS 30 Ton built by Cowans, Sheldon & by Ransomes & Rapier.
There are also a number of smaller (sub 16 Ton) listed in my index.
Reply to
Kevin Martin
Kevin,
Thanks for the pointer to the October 72 Model Rail - I think that's the article I was remembering, done in typical Model Railways fashion with plenty of detail and Bernard Wright's sketches. This crane is very similar to the one in the Railway Modeller drawings.
I couldn't find the references to the 72T crane in the magazines noted.
Where's your index?
Jim.
Reply to
JimG
Sorry Jim
That should be 1992 not 1972.
The index is on my PC & is a self compiled one. I may one day make it available but it needs a fair amount of work.
Reply to
Kevin Martin
Thanks to everyone, especially Jim, that was exactly what I was looking for.
I'll check the other back references if I can get hold of the magazines.
Something to build in the coming cold winter evenings.
Thanks again,
Marshon
Reply to
marshon
Kevin,
Several times I have considered indexing all my magazines (going back to the late 50s) but usually give up after starting when I realise the enormity of the task :-)
Jim.
Reply to
JimG
If you feel that the Model Rail article might be the preferred one, give me a shout and I'll scan that one. The crane is very similar to the one in the RM article, albeit manufactured by Cowans Sheldon. But the article is/was a typical Model Railways item under Roy Dock's editorship, with 7.5 pages of drawings, pictures, sketches and text. I haven't found the follow-up article that Kevin mentions but, typically, that would contain even more good information.
Jim.
Reply to
JimG
Sorry again Jim
Another typo in my posting (but not my index), that follow up letter is actually the Model Railway 1972 *February* issue page 93. It is a letter by J. Brownlie giving details on the numbers of cranes in Scotland. The numbers didn't match because the Districts were in the process of being rearranged. Not much use really, but in my index for sake of completeness.
Reply to
Kevin Martin
Any scans that contain scale drawings would be great.
Reference images seem to be available on-line, but true scale drawings are few and far between.
Thanks again guys
Marshon
Reply to
marshon