overriding dimension values in drawings

hi, got a couple questions for 2001: 1. Can anyone tell me how to override dimension values in drawings??? I tried thru properties but it keeps the original dimension.
2. Also I have a drawing consisting of several assemblies, I want to show only one assembly with hidden lines and the others as no hidden..... is this possible and if so how.
3. How do you make x-sections for assemblies, I know how to do it for parts but there is no option in assemblies...... or is there?
just like to thank everyone for helping me over the last little while, today is my last day of work before heading back to school and need to finish up a couple projects.
taker easy
: hi, : got a couple questions for 2001: : 1. Can anyone tell me how to override dimension values in drawings??? I : tried thru properties but it keeps the original dimension. : Shown dimensions (ones you created to define a model feature) can be changed. This will modify the part when drawing/parts regenerated. Created dimensions (ones you created in the drawing with 'Insert>Dimension') may not be modified. These are just a measurement of a linear/diametral distance. They will usually update if you modify the part.
: 2. Also I have a drawing consisting of several assemblies, I want to show : only one assembly with hidden lines and the others as no hidden..... is : this possible and if so how.
Highlight the assembly view you want to change to no hidden lines. RMB Properties, then, from the VIEW MODIFY menu, select View Disp and No hidden. : : 3. How do you make x-sections for assemblies, I know how to do it for parts : but there is no option in assemblies...... or is there?
You need to pick an assembly datum at the highest level of the assembly which you have left unblanked (blank all other datums on datum layers) when you create the section view. : : just like to thank everyone for helping me over the last little while, today : is my last day of work before heading back to school and need to finish up a : couple projects. : : taker easy : :
Underlining is handled in 'Properties>Text style' with a check box : : :
: > hi, : > got a couple questions for 2001: : > 1. Can anyone tell me how to override dimension values in drawings??? I : > tried thru properties but it keeps the original dimension. : > : > 2. Also I have a drawing consisting of several assemblies, I want to show : > only one assembly with hidden lines and the others as no hidden..... is : > this possible and if so how. : > : > 3. How do you make x-sections for assemblies, I know how to do it for : parts : > but there is no option in assemblies...... or is there? : > : > just like to thank everyone for helping me over the last little while, : today : > is my last day of work before heading back to school and need to finish up : a : > couple projects. : > : > taker easy : > : > : :
I think the question was: can I modify the value in a dimension on a drawing?
The answer is Yes for 'created' dimensions only. Created dimensions can loose their references, in which case they show up a violet in color, and you can, in most cases 're-attach' the dimension.
The issue of 'shrink' is a deeper issue.
First, can you create a system of units to use for drawings only? I believe so, but have not tried this. In any system of units, 'shrink' is no different than using 'mm', or 'in'.
Second, The system of units would be associated to the drawing (via a *.dtl file) at drawing creation. Existing drawings can also be modified, but any dimensions created before the new system of units was applied would have to be changed individually.
Third, much easier than changing all of the part features by using family tables, is the concept of 'shrink' as a feature that can be shown on the feature tree and supressed or resumed as needed. Pro-E has this but you must purchase Mold design.
Fourth, I have tried to use extern|copy|geom to reference a new model (with shrink) from the original model (without shrink) and apply a new system of units to 'shrink' this new model. I believe that this works for isotropic shrink, but I have not tested it thouroughly.
/Rant Lastly, Having used CV and Solidworks, I believe that Pro-E is well behind the curve in respect to this feature. Making you purchase Mold design to be able to apply shrink may make sense to the marketing dapartment of PTC, but not to designers like myself who have no need of the features included in mold design (automatic mold selection, etc...), but need shrink. So I do without, for now. Rant/
Just my $0.02