SWCP

I'm considering going for Certification. Any feedback from people about this? My var may let me for-go the training and just sit the exam. I'm fairly confident that I'll know the content. Does anyone have some pop-questions that may appear or give me an indication if I should do the training. (I've been using SWx since ver. 2003 and mainly do mechanical design.)

Cheers, Dominic.

Reply to
Dom

Name 3 history dependent items that you can find in an assembly tree.

Daisy.

Reply to
FlowerPot

Go for it. It can have advantages.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

"My var may let me for-go the training "

I dont believe attending any training is a requirement for taking the test. If your VAR says you must attend their training sessions in order to take the test I believe they are being less than honest. I used sw for about 2-3 years before passing the test (started on 98, took test on 2000 or 2001+) and still to this day I have never attended any var training.

This is not an answer to your question but thought I would mention it anyway.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

I am not a var, but.... I would do the training, not only to get a higher pass rate, but you "may" even learn something new.

I say this because, you started on 2003 and "may" not be aware, of all of the new functions that have appeared in subsequent releases.

Have you done much surfacing work? I do mechanical design too and have never needed surfacing to complete my goals. What if there are questions or tasks that include surfacing?

Does the exam include add-ins?

Before the flamers burn me, (I have not taken the exam, though I would love too), but I remember the college lecturer stating that no radio questions are in the exam and 70% of the class failed because of it, not me, cause I like radio! OMG, that was years ago!, lol

Reply to
pete

The basic CSWP does not cover surfacing but rather is one of the required optional modules to take along with the essentials (need one other). I believe the three basic options are Advanced Modeling (surfacing), advanced assemblies, and advanced drawings (I think- don't quote me on this)

Following is an outline of things you need to know:

Modeling: Creating and editing models Troubleshooting sketch and model issues Sketch properties Dimension properties Toolbars and their functions Reference geometry - surfaces, curves, helix, etc. Configurations Creating and editing assemblies

- time dependent features

- mates, mate groups, and their properties

- bottom up assembly modeling vs. top down assembly modeling

- assembly configurations and their use

- bill of materials and custom properties Drawing and Detailing Creating a drawing Creating and working with drawing views Section and detail views Drawing properties Drawing templates - custom and standard Linking custom properties to notes and template regions Creating parametric notes Design Intent Capturing design intent Design tables Link values Equations In-context relations File management "Save as" vs. "Save as copy" Exporting to different file formats (IGES, STEP, DXF, etc.) Importing files from other systems External references Custom properties Exploring SolidWorks Tools Feature Palette Setting up external references Creating form tools, palette parts and palette features Sketch tools Understanding the measure tool: Normal vs. Projected values Mass properties options Understand Check entity tool Working with Equations Working with Macros

here is a link to find out more:

Regards

Mark

Reply to
mbiasotti

Mates Patterns Sketches Reference Geometry

TOP

Reply to
TOP

I just passed the test back in June, and I did take a VAR prep. class which I felt was very helpful, but definately not necessary. It did give me very good idea of what would be on the test, and I passed.

As long as you read what is expected of the model, and capture the design intent, you should have no problem passing the test. If you know the essentials of modeling and assembly, with some advanced features, you should be OK. The written test has some off the wall questions, but some very simple ones as well. To prepare for this part, I went through the help files one day. If there was something there that I did not recognize, I reviewed it. This really helped and actually brought up some functions that I had forgot about or did not know existed. Reviewing these files probably helped me get 20 extra questions right. Go through the CSWP sample exam on the SW website, all of the models are similar to what is shown.

Good Luck.

Steve Danasko, CSWP

Reply to
GTCadGuy

Sorry you failed!

The question said name three, you stated four, which shows your lack of awareness, pmsl!! lol Only kidding :-P

Sorry I just had too! :-)

Reply to
pete

There is at least one more. What is it?

TOP

Reply to
TOP

in-context reference holders

Daisy

Reply to
FlowerPot

I would consider using i.Get.It because their training software includes cswp prep stuff

Reply to
Bill Briggs

Thanks for all your replies, I suppose I need to some study first and then see how confident I feel.

For those that have certification, what difference does this make to the way you market yourself to your customers? Most of my customers have so little knowledge of CAD they are just amazed by the simplest of things anyway. Will certification have a good chance of improving the profile of the business, or open the way to new opportunities? What are other peoples experiences with certification?

Cheers, Dom.

Reply to
Dom

Give Daisy a fertilizer stick.

In-context reference holders which are normally not visible. Just curuious how many times you have fixed an assembly by reording them?

One could also argue that equations are history dependent, but they do not depend on feature tree order, just order within the Equation folder.

TOP

Reply to
TOP