Frustrated with 2004

Just venting, but why can't SW Corp. slow down and stop releasing so many darn releases/SP's and just release one that has all bugs fixed.
I think 2004 is the worse release so far. We all know, that we as subscribers, are their program testers, it truely sucks that we have to pay them to fix their own screw ups.
Anyone using Inventor have this many problems? Would like to know.
Hate to say it, but even Microsoft at least fixes/releases their screw ups for free.
My opinion.

No personal experience, but this article blasts Inventor pretty heavily. On some relatively simple stuff, too: http://makeashorterlink.com/?P231327B6
--
Arlin
(remove '351' from email to reply)

Michael, Vent away, it's good to get it out sometimes.
I would be interested to here exactly what problems you are having that make you think this is the worst release. I've run into 2 bugs (and was shown a third) that are irritating but do have work-arounds. Other than that, I find this to be the very best SWX release ever. <anal retentive prismatic engineer/designer disclaimer right here>. I don't consider myself a "non-paid tester" - I consider SolidWorks to be a partner in our business and as such we both have responsibilities to each other. They produce the finest software I've ever used for mechanical design and I help them make it better. This might be an unpopular opinion, but it works for me.
Yes, Inventor users have the same issues. IV8 has a "migration" error that is rendering the initial release useless for some users. Take a look at the IV7 newsgroup and you will find many of the same complaints about IV as you will about SWX (it's moderated so the flaming is kept to a minimum). AutoDesk is working on the problem and will have it fixed soon I'm sure. Point is, all software has bugs, all software works in ways that may not be "the right way", and all software will have it's advocates and detractors.
If you can make a business case for time lost, lower productivity, and consistently poor software performance, switch to something else. If you are interested in working with your software vendors to provide the tools you need to get your job done better and faster, then take the road more traveled and submit bugs to your VAR, submit enhancement requests, gather with other users (user groups/conferences) to learn from them, and help make SolidWorks even better.
And every now and then come in here to vent away.
Richard
Richard:
Thanks for saying that so nicely.
Michael:
I'm not as nice as Richard :o)
Sometimes its a little too easy to take potshots at someone who won't defend themselves against specious claims. It's like going home and kicking the dog. It's not his fault, but he won't bite you, so he gets to bear the brunt of your frustration.
By blaming the software or the software company, you make the situation something that you can't control. Situations you can't control are frustrating.
If people had to post a specific example of what was bothering them every time they posted a flamer, you would see two things: many fewer flaming posts, and a lot of utter nonsense debunked.
The thread earlier about "loft weirdness" had a specific example. Yes there was something screwed up in the software, but the poster got a way to get where he needed to go, and he learned something about lofts. The guy who just said basically "PDMWorks sux" with no specific reason went home and kicked the dog. The guy who had a "fillet bug" posted a file, and learned something about multibodies, it turned out to be user error. The guy who had a "drawing bug" learned something about settings and fixed his "problem". You, who offer nothing specific, I suspect, will just go home and kick the dog.
What if, just what if, the problems were something you *could* control? Wouldn't you feel better about that? Chances are very good that the problem *is* something you can control. That's good news.
As Richard so nicely said, SW04 really is a nice release. Sure, there are some specific problems here and there, but this is by far not the worst. That means that if you are having problems, there's a good chance that there's some sort of rational explanation that you can control and hopefully fix.
So it's your choice. You can kick the dog, or you can learn something and get some help.
matt.

yeah Michael roll over at your masters feet like mutt....
Comparing SolidWorks to a dog is pretty a pretty interesting concept. I decided to take it to strange new levels...
SolidDog Professional (the best dog money can buy!) SolidDog Maintenance (yearly shots, tags, checkups etc.) SolidDog Training (make SolidDog sit, stay, rollover etc.)
Care and feeding of SolidDog...
*) Take SolidDog out for a walk often (defrag your hard drive)
*) Buy premium food (use Windows 2000 or XP Pro)
*) Avoid feeding SolidDog junk food (beta software, untested shareware etc.)
*) Build or purchase the super deluxe dog house (brand name RAM, MB, video, plenty of cooling when it's hot etc.)
*) Keep SolidDog's home CLEAN and organized! (erase temp folder often, update drivers)
Troubleshooting...
P) SolidDog relieved himself on my carpet! S) See "Care and Feeding" if problem persists, call your VET (VAR)
P) SolidDog doesn't have as good of a spline as PRO/PitBull S) Send in an enhancement request to improve SolidDog DNA
P) SolidDog is SLOOOOW! S) Upgrade SolidDog's living conditions, send in E/R, talk to other SolidDog owners to see if they have tricks/tips
P) Why can't SolidDog do what I tell it! S) Sign up for SolidDog advanced training, send in E/R
Heh, this thing practically writes itself!
Mike Wilson
ROTFLMAO!! Very creative, Mike! 8^)
..
"Mike J. Wilson" wrote:

BTW,... What!? No "SolidSnacks"!? (rewards for users who report bugs)
.. ;^)
"Mike J. Wilson" wrote:

Where's Scooby when we really need him??? Bring him out, Mike - he needs to show up in this thread somewhere. :-)
WT

News==----
Newsgroups
Encryption =---

He's busy getting kicked in the face... http://www.mikejwilson.com/misc/kick_the_dog !.zip
Ooooh that's gotta hurt!
I used the "Deform" feature along with Animator.
BTW, I'm using 2004 SP1, and it STILL has the 'endless loop' bug I sent in over a half year ago. Basically, when you enable the Screen Capture feature of Animator, PhotoWorks will keep rendering the scene over and over again and you have to do the three finger salute to disable SolidWorks to get it to stop.
Mike
:-) You gotta like it!

News==----
Newsgroups
=---
One dirty word: Marketing.
And the Marketing works if you're not experienced with the software. I was all giddy and had to have the latest and greatest the minute it came out, I even ewwwed and awwwed over the demo back in the day, until I started realizing that I was getting burned in the process of jumping on everything the moment it was released.
As far as the value of the Service Packs, I believe it has diminished. I really think that bug fixes and software enhancement should be separated. Bug fixes should be free and software enhancement should be paid for. I would argue that all the other CAD companies make the end user pay for bug fixes, but even AutoDesk offers patches for free. Something like Express tools though was always reserved for subscribers. Bentley's Microstation is/was set up that way. The only value I see is getting the major upgrades when they are released (just don't install them right away).
In a perfect world I would like to see these benefits included in Subscription Services: A printed/online magazine with content like SolidWorks Express (which is randomly published). Doesn't have to have a lot of pages, just has to be delivered monthly. A moderated forum in which SolidWorks tech employees are actively participating all day. The forum should be formatted with vBulletin http://www.vbulletin.com /. A lot of message boards use this, not that there's anything really wrong with the current SW message board. E-Learning that follows the same format as the SolidWorks training books. More discounts on hardware and third-party software and a discount on SolidWorks World registration. A thorough searchable tech database published online (similar to Pro/E's). My VAR has one, but SolidWorks should have one that could be constructed by VARs across the nation accessible to everyone on subscription. Maybe it's time SolidWorks increased their prices so that they can make better software and put more value into the subscription services. Would any of you object to a slight increase in the cost?
Side note: I just looked down at my McDonalds cup to see "New! Chicken Nuggets made with white meat." "Change is good." What the hell was I eating before? I guess one day we'll see "New! SolidWorks 2010 made with stable, 99% bug free code." At least we'll know what kind of software we were using before. :p

bob z. has determined that after over 3 years of using solidworks and working with over 20 different people using the same software, the problems are directly related to the OPERATOR. yes, you are at the controls. so, yes, you cause the errors. sure, bob z. likes to blame micro$oft for all of the problems with solidworks, but we, as a whole, have allowed that to happen.
it is *your* fault that there are problems with solidworks. how do you draw? how do you maintain your hardware? how do you maintain your software? how do you maintain your O/S? do you like circular references? do you mirror parts in an assy and add about a thousand configurations? do you make sub-assy's of two parts and then put that inside of another assy with 2 more parts and then put that inside another assy with two more parts and on and on and on?
bob z. doesn't crash very often anymore. why? he is gettin better at using the software. he doesn't do stupid stuff anymore. is bob z. calling you stupid if you crash a lot? you can decide that for yourself.
Happy Holidays! 8~)>
-- bob z. p.s. five minutes alone, oh please won't you give us...
"people with less brain power than you are doing more difficult things everyday"
the police aren't targeting you. you are making yourself a target.
Is that a Pink Floyd reference? By the way.........nice post :-)
Noel

problems
as
do
parts
using

no, this time it isn't a pink floyd reference. it is actually pantera. bob z. hasn't listened to much pink floyd lately. bob z. has a hard time with them ever since he saw the 'movie' (you know the one, The Wall). now, listening to their music, (yes, it is only one album), bob z. gets really depressed. he feels really bad for that guy that lost his mind in that hotel room. scary stuff. fictional characters, story, etc., but depressing nonetheless. bob z. doesn't need any help with the depression thing...
o.k., back on topic.
it is very easy to become fixated on the little things that cause problems. why is this? is it some sort of human nature thing?
bob z. wants everyone from now on to see how long they can go after finding a problem with swx/micro$oft/insert your dog's name here before they say anything about it. bob z. bets no one in here can go a week before becoming the 'genius star pupil' who will solve the world's problems because they just found the latest bug.
-- bob z.
"people with less brain power than you are doing more difficult things everyday"
Bob Zee is an excellent example. Bob Zee used to be a dog-kicker himself, but it seems Bob Zee has come to see the light and understands now that Bob Zee's fate is in Bob Zee's own hands, or in Bob Zee's left hand anyway, I can't say just what's in Bob Zee's right hand.
Thanks for chipping in, Bob Zee.
matt
"It looks just like a Telefunken U-47"

bob zee wrote:

Uhh, I hope I don't push you over the edge there bob zee, but "The Wall" was pretty much Roger Water's autobiography.
I enjoy your song quotes and can usually can name them including "Five Minutes Alone". We seem to have the many of the same tastes in rock. Here's one for you:
"I make love to mountain lions"
And to stay OT - Solidworks sucks... and rocks.

you got good ol' bob z. with that quote. what's it from?
-- bob z.
"people with less brain power than you are doing more difficult things everyday"

http://www.lyrics.net.ua/song/17668
JJ
Shoot, I was just about to guess Jimi Hendrix ("Voodoo Child")