SW 2006 better ???

Too all,

Do you think 2006 will be better ?

It seems to me that "they"(SW) are stuck in a downward spiral that is feeding off it's own momentum. Let's just go back three releases. For the sake of argument, let's say SW2003 carried over 500 bugs from previous versions (this number is probably much higher). SW2004 is released with an additional 500 new bugs. That's 1000 bugs. SW fixes 350 bugs, but in the process creates 50, so now were down to 700. In the marketing driven haste to release 2005, it's decided that they'll carry over the 700, along with an additional 500 new ones currently in the released version. On & on ad-infinitum.

You can see where were going here. They can't even keep up, much less make headway. The hard evidence seems to bear out this scenario.

With this in mind, it's unlikely that 2006 will be better. It will probably be worse.

SW isn't really an engineering software company anymore. They're a marketing organization that "used" to develop pretty good engineering software. The user community no longer has enthusiasm for the software. Most experienced users won't reccommend it to people, and I think they know it.

What they seem to be focusing on are new users (new sales, and maintenance). Preferably those that are completely ignorant of their options. This probability is born out by all of the flashy useless gizmos in each new release. Useless for the real world, but very impressive when used in a carefully scripted demo. New sales, and probably an average of at least two to three years maintenance money per seat. All to feed the hungry lumbering marketing machine that Solidworks has become.

I don't have to tell you that this position is unsustainable. Eventually, they'll run out potential market.

If the real situation is even close to what I've surmised, they have alot more to fix than just their software. In fact, the software will never get fixed as long as the current company philosophy remains as it is.

Vert,,, very sad

Mark

Reply to
MM

Hey Mark,

Please, go somewhere else to post your stupid thoughts!

Yes I do think SW2006 will be better!

MM wrote:

Reply to
Stefan

I think SW are doing what any company would do. It's balancing act between winning new customers and keeping the old ones. If they don't keep ahead of the other mid range modellers with new widgets, the new customers will go elsewhere.

To them, it's much easier to keep old grumbling customers than to win new ones.

Look at Adesk. They've just bought out Acad 2006. What possible use could that be?

Reply to
Cam J

Mark, You're on dangerous ground. I agree with you. That's probably a bad sign for you.

Mr. McEleney: more meat, less sizzle, please.

Reply to
That70sTick

Which one you have Timon or Pumba? or you have them both to take care of the bugs

Reply to
pikaboo

Stefan,

Who the FUCK are you asshole !

I've been using SW and posting here since the beginning of SW AND this news group, so FUCK OFF !!!

Eventually,

Reply to
MM

Mark Mossberg has contributed a lot more to this newsgroup over YEARS than AT LEAST 90% of the participants here. In contrast this is the very first post I can find in the Google archives by any "slukov". If you want to have your opinion respected here, contribute something other than insults to those who have proven their value over time. Otherwise, go somewhere else yourself.

'Sporky'

Reply to
Sporkman

Mark,

How about this, have all your CAD buddies to contact SolidWorks and tell them that they only want to purchase an older version of SolidWorks (2001Plus, 2003, you pick). Make sure they tell them that having new features is not important, they just want the old code.

If SolidWorks honors their request, then the pressure to stay ahead of the competition will be reduced. The programmers can just work on fixing old problems, and life will be great!!

While you at it, suggest that the SW marketing department develop some nice cozy ad campaign about being stable and ultra conservative.

BTW, interesting pseudo stats.

CG

Reply to
CAD Guy

Look back a couple of threads; spell check. In my CAD app. "Rubber" ok buttons with it's cute graphics...

A little story... When I was younger (and still had hair!), I worked for this scanning electron microscope company as an electronics engineer. I actually loved the job, 100 hour weeks and all. We were transforming the state of the electron microscope. But the industry historically is based on "resolution", not what we did best (it was an "environmental" microscope, you could image ANYTHING, wet, dry, living or dead..) anyway, we were loosing sales to the other guys that had better rez. Went through a couple of VP of Sales. Then, we got one that convinced the President that what the microscope did was second to user niceites, like the color of the thing, and the fact that the user interface should be "more like Windows"... puke...). They fired my boss, a brilliant engineer that transformed this machine. I was working on new amplifier designs that were state of the art. I was told to stop, and "listen" to the marketing guys, who wanted "nicer looking accessories".. well, I promptly quit.

My point is (yes, I have one) is that SW is doing the same thing here; instead of fixing what's wrong, making it more robust, faster to use, they're ignoring these things for "new features" and a cute interface. I don't need a f**king spell checker, nor do I need animated buttons; I need the DELAYS that these things incur removed so that I can get on with doing some work... and not worrying every 5 minutes whether I saved or not...

Mike Tripoli

Reply to
Mike Tripoli

Ok, tell us why - or if you have nothing to add .........

Reply to
HumanAmp

Dear Mark,

It's time to get off the computer and put the mouse deep into you shitty a**hole. I'm sure you'll enjoy that much better than typing on the keyboard. Wait! Just thought about that. Why don't you put the keyboard after the mouse and let us know how much you enjoy your new experience.

Regards ;)

MM wrote:

Reply to
Stefan

Mike Tripoli wrote: ...(clip)...

Hear, hear. I wish SolidWorks' upper management would hear . . .

Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton Watermark Design, LLC

Sporkman

It's certainly easy to tell the difference between the company that once was SolidWorks and now is SolidWorks. In my little mind, the pinnacle was two or three releases after Dassault bought them out and then the management migration began, and yes, they became much less an engineering software company and much more a marketing company, particularly when Hirshtic (sp) cashed out.

The days of being able to get bugs fixed in a timely fashion are gone. Two releases a year prohibit that. I'd like to see a new release every

18-24 months (with service packs in between). This way they could get rid of the dual development teams and really work on fixing the problems instead of constantly reinventing the wheel.

Mark, just out of curiosity, what are people recommending if not SolidWorks?

Up until recently I had been frozen at SWx2003 (which is a personal copy that I own). I'm doing some customer work on 2005 and I'll be honest, the true advancement in features is really not worth the aggravation of the crashing and hanging that I'm experiencing. Most of the new UI "enhancements" are not. All of the UI changes are increasing the numbers of mouse selections. Remember the days when SolidWorks used to advertise that the UI minimized mouse selections? You haven't seen that in a while have you? It endemic of the process of creeping featurism. Trying to be all things to all people is impossible and SWx corp should stop trying. Unfortunately, this won't happen anytime soon.

Cheers,

Chris

Reply to
cdubea

HEY STEFAN!

Mark raised valid questions and opinions. You simply answered "Yes", with a rude remark. Are you waiting for someone to tell you why it'll be better? A press release from SW to put under your pillow? How about what Mommy should have told you growing up; if you don't have anything constructive to add, keep it zipped.

Mike Tripoli

Reply to
Mike Tripoli

just out of curiousity, did the company manage to make any money once they put in a nicer interface?

Reply to
Michael

Tick,

I really hope I'm wrong.

I'm not really tring to be negative. It's just that an honest, subjective, unemotional, assesment leads me to this place.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

Too much sizzle, Meat will shrivel!

Reply to
That70sTick

Depends on whether you like it well done or half baked..........

Reply to
Art Woodbury

Chris,

Personally, I try to avoid situations where I'm asked anymore. When this isn't possible I'll try and give them enough truthful information to make an intelligent decision. I used to be able to reccomend SW without any reservations. I don't have enough "recent" experience with other systems to recomend otherwise.

We were one of the first biotech engineering houses, here in So. Cal., to implement SW. There are probably hundreds of seats of SW out there that are a direct result of our choice back in 96. We have two big screen "theaters" where we have brainstorming sessions with our clients. Usually, after just one session, the client would ask us where to buy it. Now, the program is so unpredictable and cumbersome, that we try to avoid these. It make us, as well as the software, look bad.

Recently, I've been avoiding a certain "highly placed" individual whose been asking for a CAD reccomendation. I can't devulge "who" or "what", but lets just say it's a very heavily funded research organization, that's afilliated with a "major" university. I honestly don't know what to say anymore.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM