SW 2006 better ???

I would be doing back flips if most the old features and basic functions actually worked!!! A few crashes a day is way easier for me to take than all the bugs and broken functions that are piling up version on top of version. As a customer, I feel like I'm being lied to and mislead.

It's seems like only the software world can excuse themselves of such poor quality and broken products and yet demand so much money for it. I sure would like to see this change someday. To a degree, I guess it has. Kind of reminds me of the US auto industry of the 1970's. As the world flattens, I sure hope they get hit with a lot of pressure. The software industry needs a good dose of what has happened to the manufacturing industry.

Reply to
abc

It's hard to imagine anything like that short term (though I've wished for it in the past). With CAD software it's more like there's no real competition for Detroit's Big Three. That's getting better. At least it's not just the Big Two (one of which might qualify as a Big Pretender) of mid-range mechanical any longer. But, users still have to invest more than they want to educate themselves and quit spending good money after bad to save their legacy data while hoping that the next release will be the One. Discounted "upgrades" for annual maintenance, planned obsolesence, forced retirement, no patches for historic versions; all part of an evil scheme to move money from your pocket to theirs for as little real value as possible.

Software lemon law? Class action suits? Pretty unlikely; EULA's being what they are.

Flip side; it's too easy to get caught up in frenzy over issues like this. Make sure the software is really where the fault lies.

Reply to
Jeff Howard
[...]

You just described what happened to Pro/ENGINEER and PTC. Makes me wonder where I'll hop to next as history repeats.

Regards,

Reply to
Anonymous

Same here,

Though in my case, I could no longer justify the subscription fees (out of my own pocket) based upon the not so impressive track record of SW over the past five years. What a pleasure it would be to open up SW in any version and have 99.73% of all the functions work as intended. Shouldn't SW be less expensive now that it is being outsourced to countries with lower salaries, wages and an unlimited supply of free beta testers.

The once big three automobile manufacturers were unable to visualize or understand how quality equals profit and in the long haul wins market share.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

I have mentioned this user "Value" issue to my VAR in a continuing exchange of emails of late.

I said up-time and consistent glitch free operation is what I expect from the tools in my shop (which are up virtually 100% of the time, whether molding or machining). I expect the same from my software & computers. However, I only get 100% uptime on my Macintosh.

Window OS is patch on patch, and though SolidWorks may be better than Win XP (meaning fewer bugs), neither one is ANYWHERE NEAR 100% uptime. The 2 together are definately on an uphill struggle.

My VAR, GoEngineer, said that John M, CEO, has addressed the matter of reliability & bug fixes and cleanup in a recent speech, and I said to GoEngineer, I want to see action. I am tired of words.

Bill Gates has been BSing the whole world for 4 years on his various OS & application efforts and now I think eve MS has hit a wall on improving things quickly. Statistically they have taken the OS too far to keep everything stable ALL THE TIME. I think BGates is too busy jet setting the life of leisure to actually get anything done anymore. It is time to split Microsoft into 3 companies. OS, Internet, and MS Office. Put in separate CEOs who have to answer to shareholders and watch things happen.

I'm not going to hold my breath on either MS or SolidWorks. I just want to see results.

Bo

Reply to
Bo