What's Up with Windows Installer in SolidWorks 2004

I have never liked the Windows Installer method for SolidWorks and had always opted for the Traditional method.

Now that all users are "forced" to employ the WI method with SWKS

2004, many individuals are probably dealing with it for the first time?!

The recent reports of installation, service pack appliication and rollback problems would suggest that the WI method is getting more troublesome; however, I have to wonder if the sudden increase in use of the WI may simply be acting to shed light on issues that are no worse than before?

On the other hand, perhaps the increasing size of the SolidWorks program (and its Ad-In applications) have begun to bring the WI method to the brink of failure.

To use SP2.1 as an example, how can it take longer to update SolidWorks SP2.0 (with a relatively small 7Mb patch) than it did to install the Entire program in the first place?

How can upgrading with a 7Mb patch result in a text-based log file that is 1.2Mb in size?

How can the associated eDrawing update (also roughly 7Mb) use the WI so efficiently while completing the process with relative lightning speed?

I'd certainly be interested to know what percentage of the users were relying solely upon the Traditional installation method, prior to the release of SWKS 2004.

I have to think that the usage of the WI method used to be rather small by comparison or it worked rather well with previous SolidWorks major releases and is just starting to break down in 2004.

What's the consensus?

Per O. Hoel

Reply to
Per O. Hoel

I have always used the traditional method of installation. I have not updated my department to 2004 due to the feedback I get from this newsgroup. The service pack woes alone are enough for me to hold back for a long while.............. Bruce Chapman Manager - Product Engineering Rayco Mfg, Inc.

Bruce Chapman

We've always used the traditional install in the past. We have 3 seats that I maintain plus two home seats that I maintain. With the problems it's causing me I'm close to reccommending we drop Subscription service in the future if they don't bring back the Install Shield option. The WI problems and support time required just aren't worth it.

Dave H

Reply to
Dave H

Per,

My download of SP2.1 from SP1.0 was somewhere around 75MB. Where did you get a patch that was only 7MB?

Were looking at Unigraphics now that we've been purchased by a company that already uses UG.

Malcontent

Reply to
Malcolm_Tempt

2.0 to 2.1 was 7 MB.
Reply to
Dale Dunn
0.0 to 2.1 = 151 MB

that already uses UG.

Reply to
Jacob Filek

Yep, that's true, imho. I've done two WI in the past and they were just as bad or worse, TI is much easier and faster as well as uninstalling them. I would think SW Corp has/had enough data that the TI was used the most often? With previous Windows versions being phased out, the WI has to be a M$ compliance issue. The users are being forced to use the WI... so, more complaints.

..

"Per O. Hoel" wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

here's a nice upgrade process.

I'll just ignore the fact that WI at one point told me it would be over 4 HOURS to complete the upgrade!!

overall time was roughly an hour.

  1. begin upgrade.
  2. insert CD1.
  3. insert CD2.
  4. "Upgrade done. Wanna reboot?" Sure!!!
  5. Wait.
  6. Wait?
  7. Uh...why am I still waiting???
  8. "Please Insert CD3"
  9. Huh?
  10. Insert CD3.
  11. Wait.
  12. "Unable to reboot automatically. Please do it yourself."
  13. Ooooo-kaaaayyy.
  14. Reboot.
  15. Wait.
  16. Restart SW.

What the heck is up with CD3 AFTER the upgrade is done?

--nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

I don't know if it was just by coincidence but when i turned off my printers and plotters to my computer the install picked up speed quite a bit.

Reply to
Rocko

We've always used the traditional installer.

I wonder if some of the long patch times are due to having other SW installations? The three of us have 2001+ still on our machines for old products and all had fairly painful (we weren't timing them) upgrades (two of us from SP0, one from SP1).

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger