"horizontal modeling" (TM) samples ?

I'm looking for more PRACTICAL information on the now famous "horizontal modeling" methodology, to get a better idea of what it means exactly. As I understand it, it says "do a few complex features that depend on a layout sketch" instead of "a lot of simple features". Is it correct ?

Ideally, I'd like to find 2 models of the same part, one being "HMI", to graph their dependencies with the

tools. Any link ?

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

heh. For information on Horizontal Modeling (patent pending) practices, please consult the prior art as described in this forum and others relating to parametric modeling since their inception as "best practices".

Half-serious joking aside, I have nothing else to offer.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Well Philippe, as I understand it, horizontal modeling compares to bottom up or top down modeling in the following ways... (brief example, not the end-all interpretation)

Say you have an Assy consisting of two parts that fit together. For this example, assume that both parts can be created from within.

Bottom Up:

- model part A, independent of part B

- model part B, independent of part A

- etc.

- create Assy inserting A and B and relating them

Top Down (also called in context):

- create Assy

- from within the Assy, create part A

- from within the Assy, create part B in context and dependent on part A

Horizontal:

- create Assy with reference geometry; layout sketches, planes, etc., anticipating the needs of parts A and B

- model part A in context and dependent on the reference geometry

- model part B in context and dependent on the reference geometry

As you can see, we all use a combination of these techniques anyway. Which is why the validity of the horizontal method being patented is called into question. Bottom up is the "safest" way to model because if a part gets changed it doesn't automatically change any other part - it ensures the integrity of your parts but not necessarily the assy. Top down is the "riskiest" approach since any part can effect any other part. And horizontal is simply a "layout sketch" methodology where you have master reference geometry controlling your parts. It ensures the integrity of the assy and the parts. When you want to change a part, you change the reference geometry. The layouts control everything.

Anyone... please correct me if I'm wrong... !!

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

Philippe,

Be careful !!!! The Delphi lawyers'll getcha !!!

I think I'll patent "shifting into third gear" or..or maybe second will be better. After all, almost everyone shifts into second even in traffic.

I'll strike up a royalty sharing deal with all the major auto makers. They'll have sensors in thier transmissions, and every time the car shifts into second, money will be deducted from the car owners bank account automatically... yeah...CHA-CHING..

Mark

Reply to
Mark M