History Based Modeling (SolidWorks) Dumped And Replaced With Direct Modeling (CoCreate)

?Working with our former 3D CAD system was frustrating because large models would cause the system to crash ? and we were losing data! With CoCreate Modeling, we can work with large models easily; design is faster and the team is more flexible.?

?We used SolidWorks at first,? says Terpstra. ?But we couldn?t easi ly modify the 2D drawings we already had. This caused a great waste of time and many unexpected hours of work.? He also found that it was difficult to manage 2D and 3D models in a single project."

"However, the biggest trouble for the Leenstra team came from trying to load large models. ?Large assemblies were time-consuming, and we experienced a great deal of frustration as models crashed during design and even caused data loss.?

"That?s why the company switched from its original 3D CAD solution, SolidWorks, to a CoCreate solution, adopting Explicit Modeling and CoCreate?s integrated data management tools to help make product development faster and more flexible. Best of all, the CoCreate family of products supported the level of innovation that Leenstra relies on for its success."

"With CoCreate Drawing Manager and CoCreate Model Manager, engineers can load and manage 2D and 3D data into one project. As well, CoCreate Modeling includes CoCreate Drafting, a 2D application compatible with CoCreate Modeling?s 3D environment. ?That means the designer can easily make or adjust drawings as part of a project,? says Terpstra."

"Best of all, CoCreate Modeling handles modeling data differently than SolidWorks, significantly reducing the data volume of models. Large assemblies work better in CoCreate?s 3D environment. Terpstra notes that his data now loads faster and is much more stable once in the system."

"With 2D drawings working compatibly in the 3D environment, and with large models now performing so much better, Leenstra engineers now spend the bulk of their time designing machines instead of trying to work around the wrong design software. And that means Leenstra does more of what it does best: creative engineering."

Reply to
Joe788

Seems they lacked due diligence when evaluating the first CAD package they bought. Much like you, they went with the CAD du jour based on adverts and demos rather than actually making a list of their criteria and evaluating competing CAD packages based on their needs.

Had they loaded one or two of their projects they would have seen the issues up front. The issues would not be unknown to real users or any competent person evaluating a program. Complaining about issues after the fact is as dumb as buying something without knowing anything about it or basing your purchase on your needs.

I use SolidWorks for large assemblies and it has been a very stable platform where I have maybe 5 crashes a year and most if not all of them can be traced to something I did. So when someone complains about crashes I recommend they look for the source and not blame the symptoms.

Reply to
noneya

Well, ever hear of backup?

How bout a computer with enough ram, proper video & HD space to handle those LARGE ASSY's

simple minds need simple solutions

Been making 3D solidworks parts off of 2D Acad imported files for years. Not seeing a problem what so ever. IMO it works great. I just need to glance at the physical print once in awhile to make sure I have "lined" things up correctly & the Acad jockey "drawed it rite"

finally got a new computer eh?

wonder what kind of parts they "creatively engineer"? widgets? maybe transparent aluminum? using unubtainum materiel?

Reply to
cncmillgil

Please be aware of this is an advertisment from PTC......not a post from a customer.

I use SolidWorks daily too and have assys with 10000+ components without crashes. Today it's not really a problem at all in SW

// Krister

Reply to
Krister_L

Jon's serious social and mental disorders prevent him from interacting with real people to gain real information. Therefore, in Banquerville, press releases and advertorials ARE the "real world". ==================================================

Huffing does that -- you know, misconstrued realities'n'shit....

Jon The Huffer Banquer, Cad Troll. Extreeordinare....

Reply to
Existential Angst