SolidWorks Sucks...

Just found this Forum... Glad to see that people still have hope in Solidworks. The techsupport people send me E Drawings for dummies ; )
I've been using Solidworks at work for a year now (not by choice). And I have to tell y'a if I had been givin the choice we would be running ProE instead of that low end package. Don't get me wrong Solid works is great for drawing pretty pictures and all. But to get actual work done. Pffffff... The 2005 version can't even do a cross section without the hatching. Telling you lots of fudging lot of waiting but certainly no performance. I'm going back to CAD. XYZ here I come...
Cheers!
M.Design
On Apr 3, 1:25 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I've been using SW for eight years and couldn't agree more. It's STILL slow and creates crap drawings. I happen to be in a bad mood right now because of crawling solidworks.
Now that is a credible statement. At least the slow part.

On Apr 3, 12:33 pm, snipped-for-privacy@semmlerclan.com wrote:

I can understand why you are PO'd, having never learned how to use it properly after 8 years. That must really be a bum feeling. Slow? If you are too slow, you can always go to a CAD appl which runs on high end workstations or mainframes. Why wait 8 years?
There simply wouldn't be 600,000 customers of SolidWorks if good productive work could not be done, and no 3rd Party Developers would waste their time if SolidWorks was not useful.
Well, it is obvious someone wants to stir the pot annonymously. semmlerclan.com just points to Google Canada.
Bo

I'm hardly anonymous and I assure you I know how to use SW. I have used it full time for the eight years creating REAL machine drawings. Ie. 8000 parts or more assemblies, thousands of drawings, weldments, machining drawings and more. I worked for a VAR for some time teaching and doing demos, I have my CSWP and was a certified instructor and tech support. I've probably forgotten more about SW than you'll know.
The fact is SW still has many of the same problems it has for years, for example hiding edges in drawings works like crap. Changing line weights in drawings works like crap. Creating views of cast parts that have all kinds of convoluted shapes and tangent edges is painful. Added to that SW is SLOW. It is brutally slow with large assemblies and even worse with those parts/assemblies' drawings.
SW doesn't crash as much as it used to but aside from that there are minimal advances. For instance they added weldments some time ago. Unfortunately you can't add a weld bead unless the parts are touching which, if you had half a clue, you would know that in real world weldments the parts are NOT touching, there's clearance. I also can't add weld beads between irregular shapes. The weldment cut list and it's corresponding balloons continue to be buggy (at least in SW 06 which I'm using right now).
I could go on and on but am not interested in trying to educate you in the limitations of SW. The truth is I am as frustrated as ever with it because it is grindingly slow with large assemblies. I have colleagues using ProE who do not have the same problems and appear to be more satisfied with SW than I. I also can't say I have ANY colleagues that aren't disappointed daily with SW.
There are a lot more than 600,000 people driving a Kia but that doesn't make it a good car.
On Apr 3, 5:59 pm, snipped-for-privacy@semmlerclan.com wrote:

If I had to do 6000+ part assemblies with weldments done right, then I, too, would probably pick a higher end tool for the job, and wouldn't blame anyone else for picking the best tool for the job.
Hi Devlin, you may know a lot about Solidworks but you dont know much about the Kia line of automobiles. They beat N American cars hands dowm with a 5 year warranty, better quality and all the extras. Kia is a subsidiary of Hyundai, excellent value for money. 600,000 people DO know what they are doing!!!
---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ----------------------------------------------
OMG Somebody from a Kia dealership has strayed in here!
John H
hehe not really :-)
just a happy owner of a fine Kia family automobile.
---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ----------------------------------------------
Phil,
Amen to that.
I bought my daughter a Sorento for her first car. Looked at a dozen other midsize SUV's in the process. The Sorento is built better and stronger than any of em. It has a full unibody with a hardened passenger area "ON TOP" of a full ladder frame. It's built like a freakin tank. Great warranty, and not a single problem in 45,000 miles.
Mark

The beefy frame is what attracted me to KIA.
TOP

A better argument might be that there are supposedly 2million+ users of Autocad/MDesktop, and that certainly doesn't make it a good package!
I think Solidworks has got where it has by:-
a) Having a name that everyone could remember, which helped greatly with marketing (compared with UGS Unigraphics or SDRC I-DEAS)
b) It was greatly cheaper than the competition when it appeared
c) It's now achieved a marketing critical mass where everyone's heard of it, everyone's heard that "600,000 people use it" and so managers who know bugger all about 3D CAD systems feel confident to buy it - this is the position Autocad reached many years ago.
d) Many of the licenses are virtually given away to students and educational establishments
e) It's an OK product but with probably as many flaws as strengths.
I was relishing the prospect of learning to use it when I started my present job 18months ago, but I have to say although I'm occasionally pleasantly surprised by what it can do, I'm also endlessly disappointed by its unreliability and poor attention to detail.
John H
John H,
I couldn't disagree with you more. It's ridiculous to say that a software took over the market because it has an easy to remember name. Being less expensive than ProE was a factor, but there still has to be a good product there to hold the customer for years. Kia does have 600,000 owners, but how many of them will buy a Kia as their next car? With SolidWorks, retension has been vital.
As far as the "as many flaws as strengths" statement. Well, the grass is always greener somewhere else. :) However, there's a reason ProE fell far behind and why Inventor doesn't dominant the market (which should've happened a couple years ago if what you are suggesting was true). It's because it is a great package for the price. And ya'no, it's even a better package for the price now more than ever.
Matt http://sw.fcsuper.com

I suppose you haven't heard of Beta and VHS then? Inventor has as many seats as SW. ProE doesn't because although it's technically superior it doesn't have the vendor network with local training and sales etc as much as SW and Autodesk, that goes a long way.
Retention of SW is because of market share. SW has reached a point where the market share drives the sales. It would be a completely different situation if 3D mech file formats were 100% cross compatible but that's impossible.
Instead of speaking in generalizations perhaps you could share with us specifics as to why ProE has fallen behind in market share? It's more complicated and more expensive for sure but it's definitel better.
On Apr 4, 12:46 pm, snipped-for-privacy@semmlerclan.com wrote:

Solidworks has retention because of market share? Pro-E had about a ten year headstart into the market over Solidworks. Solidworks is a better solution for many, alltough you have a point about large assemblies.
On Apr 6, 6:51 am, snipped-for-privacy@l-3com.com wrote:

SolidWorks got where it is because it offered better value in the late 90s up to now than IDEAS, Unigraphics, ProE or Catia, with customers finding SWks usable at a good price.
Gut feel says that any very successful product must travel well on word of mouth, & SolidWorks has had that because it offered a moderate level of ability for fewer dollars than the other 4 packages above. Swks also outplaced the "Inventors" in their lower dollar catagory.
CAD is just a tool, and even the high end CAD packages are not particularly pricey compared to the price of good designers and the work that has to be done.
Any time a CAD user says "SolidWorks Sucks", he has a choice of what he can move to for a higher end CAD package. It is a free market.
I would be interested to hear other's implementation stories regarding DB Works. We have been in the "implementation phase" for almost 1 year and still have issues with BOM's and balooning in large assemblies. Our typical assemblies consists of 6,000 to 10,000 parts containing weldments, machined parts and the associated motors, gears, belts, etc. to make things work. Most of our work must go out in top level drawings with complete BOM's. The issues of working in large assemblies in SW and the issues with DB Works are taking their toll on our ability to get work out the door. If you have a success story, I could use a little hope.
Which part of the world are you in? who is your reseller?

What are the problems specifically?
TOP

Did I say that was the only reason? From what I've seen of various CAD journals down the years, SWX has been THE most heavily advertised 3D package. Combine that with a cool, quite clever and easy-to-remember name, and it greatly helps the marketing effort.

Unless you create one-off, bespoke designs, changing CAD systems is a nightmare most companies won't contemplate unless there's an issue that's a complete job-stopper.

Not at all - the wider world hasn't heard of Inventor, but everyone has heard of Autocad.

The lack of PDM in the lower-end offerings is shameful, and the price when you include them is not attractive. You could get I-DEAS with PDM as standard for less than SWX (the merging with NX has killed that off). Sure, there were some things missing at that price (sheet metal for example), but it gives the lie to the argument that SWX is currently "great package for the price". I think it would be more accurate to say "an OK package for the price".
John H
John H