80 year old waterpump that still works

And the company is still around also.

I want to look THAT good at the age of this pump.

Ignoramus27467

And, notice the cloth insulated wires. That's a gem.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Great looking pump! What make is the electric motor?

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Westinghouse is the motor brand.

Amazingly, both Westinghouse and the original maker of the pump (McKay equipment), are still around.

This pump was used by an "old lady" until her house was demolished.

I would like to posit a hypothesis that I came up with yesterday, which is that makers of equipment that is very long lasting, themselves last longer. Some examples are Quincy compressor, McKay equipment (maker of the pump), Champion compressor, etc.

Ignoramus4694

Ignoramus4694 fired this volley in news:C5KdnV_B3I3L-F_WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

And Santore & Sons, Inc (pyrotechnics) in business continually since 1898.

(Of which I am affiliated)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Why was her house demolished?

Next question, what caused you to find this pump and buy it?

Note: Lycos is dead so I set up a new gmail account for this group.

Wes

Wes

Yep. And the reaosn is that probably, long lived products mean good reputation and ability to charge premium prices.

Ignoramus4694

No idea.

I bought it from a guy who was selling off his equipment. He had a huge hangar full of Stuff. He was in excavating business and is getting out. I bought this antique pump for $5 (and the ARO 4000 lbs pneumatic chain hoist for $35, and a huge Greymills parts washer for $40, and a Snapon YA212A MIG/TIG welder with tank for a undisclosed price, and more stuff).

I love gmail and moved most of my correspondence there. Gmail, google calendar, and google docs changed the way I live my life, literally.

Ignoramus4694

I avoid all things Google and do quite nicely. I see Google as the world's largest source of all things SPAM (not just Google Groups).

Reply to
Pete C.

Also a box with a four jaw chuck for Craftsman 12" lathe, steady rest for same, dog drive plate for same, and a set of change gears for same lathe, all for $10.

Ignoramus4694

Google pays me several K per month. Because of it, it has a special place in my heart. But I am sure that you are missing a lot frmo not using gmail, calendar and google docs.

Ignoramus4694

cool pump. amazing it's got a leather belt. lol.

my local newspaper did like an informal "contest" for local residents to send in who was running the oldest appliance in the area. was probably the funniest and most interesting thing they ever ran in the newspaper. i just did a search at the newspaper's website, no luck (they have a SUCKY search engine). i wish i could remember the details, i think a woman won who has a refrigerator from like the 20's, and i believe they said it's been in continuous use(?). is that possible? did they even have electric refrigerators in the 20's? i can't remember the details of the article but it was damn funny.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

Me too... been heavily using pretty much everything Google offers for a good while now.

Not so crazy about their newsgroup reader though... use MT Newswatcher for that.

Google Voice is one that really changed things... works well, and all it's call forwarding and voice mail features/flexibility are amazing. Being able to call anywhere in the US toll free 24/7 saves me a bundle every month as well.

Erik

PS, wow, haven't even heard the word Lycos since I can't remember when...

Reply to
Erik

I love Google Voice, too.

Ignoramus4694

So they pay you for helping them SPAM I take it?

I run my own mail server and have no issues at all with it. I have my own web mail available that has no advertising SPAM on it, there are no SPAM tag lines on my mail, etc. Virtually no SPAM mail makes it through my filters either.

On Calendars, I don't know what they calendar could possibly do for me and I admit I haven't looked at it since I have no apparent use for it. My primary calendar is a good old fashioned paper calendar on the wall in my office, and since I work from home it's pretty much always readily available. I have virtually no need to consult it when I'm not near it so the paper one works well.

I haven't looked at Google docs at all, so I can't say how little use I might have for it.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yup, fridges were around, just cost a big fraction of an average family's income to own one. Iceboxes had to serve for a looong time for the not-so-wealthy. One design had the coils on top of the box, you'll see them now and then in old movies where an early form of product placement seems to have been practiced. Freon wasn't around, so the individual units had nifty stuff like sulphur dioxide or methyl chloride as the refrigerant. There were a few high-end apartment buildings that had whole-building refrigeration, one pump in the basement, tubing in the walls and each kitchen had a box and a set of coils. Had one of those leak in S.F. while I was still in the Bay Area, was either SO2 or ammonia for refrigerant. Had to clear the building for several days. I had to get rid of an SO2-charged unit, we used it for years for powder storage. My dad salvaged the motor, they didn't have sealed units back then either. The b-in-law helped me haul it off to the "recycle area"(dump), where we set it next to the Freon fridges. Just hope the guy draining them had the proper equipment. Weighed a ton.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I expect so. If Google would pay me a sizable amount, without giving me ethics agida, I might reconsider dealing with them.

Reply to
Pete C.

I have a popular website. This is my hustle #1.

Ignoramus1414

Post a link and we will all go and visit your site right now.

Reply to
BERNIE THE BUNION

GMail *does* have a POP3 interface, Chris, that eliminates any need for a browser.

Reply to
RAM³