Six jaw chuck

Among various stuff that followed me, there was this six jaw chuck:

this is a plain back chuck, and I wonder if it makes sense to keep it and adapt to my Clausing lathe. I can buy plain back mounting adaptors for my lathe easily. I did it once when I had to machine it to fit the four jaw chuck. This machining actualy improves lathe accuracy.

The question is, do I really need the six jaw chuck.

When was the last time that you had to use it, and for what reason?

Ignoramus5931

Oh, and do you have an idea who made it?

Ignoramus5931

I have one like that on my brieley drill grinder, mine is a bernerd.

They are basicley used as an alternative to collets, if the chuck is a zero set i would keep it. I suspect your chuck was used in a grind shop, they were grinding large diameter items and needed a high degree of accuracy. As far as a lathe goes i prefer collets. I have a bison six jaw zero set and never used it on my logan 12". These chucks are very pricey new.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

It appears that that chuck was crashed, based on the gouges in the jaws. Before I spent much time figuring if I could used it, I'd check that it was still useable.

Reply to
Pete C.

That's a chuck from a T&C grinder. Without reversible jaws it's usefulness on a lathe would be limited.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

--What he said. But if you can find a manufacturer and get replacement jaws it's a keeper. Still and all if you've got a need you might want to consider finding instead a Buck Adjust-tru chuck. I've got a 6-jaw one of these on my Myford and it works a treat. Having the ability to shift the center of rotation is a huge advantage..

Reply to
steamer

I do not think that the chuck was crashed. I think that it was ground (accidentally) in a grinding machine. It is not quite the same.

Ignoramus13162

It was ground that way on purpose, in order to be used for flute grinding.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

IIRC, Bison is Polish. Well respected. Mounts on a faceplate. Offset screws calibrate it.

Mart> Oh, and do you have an idea who made it?

Martin Eastburn

Here is one place that has been there for years.

Rather extensive selection on the bottom of the page.

Mart> Among various stuff that followed me, there was this six jaw chuck: >

Martin Eastburn

I'm among the clueless here. What can you do with a 6 jaw that you can't do with 4?

Mart> Here is one place that has been there for years.

CaveLamb

Yep, i have a bison 3 jaw chuck that i bought in 1973 and it's as good as new. When ever i need to buy a brand new chuck bison is my first choice. Very high quality at a good price. As i recall bison is now part of toolmex.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

hold a hexagonal part!

Ignoramus13162

And with more jaws, more surface touching the work. Less pressure and the same holding power. Chuck soft materials and have plenty of holding power.

Mart> >> I'm among the clueless here.

Martin Eastburn

It depends. Where it is particularly good is when holding thin-walled cylindrical stuff. 3-jaw chucks try to deflect it to a vaguely triangular shape. 4-jaw chucks try to deflect it to square, and

6-jaw to hex --with less effect every time you add a jaw or two. :-)

I used mine when making a circular waveguide antenna for Wi-Fi frequencies using about 3.5" ID Schedule 80 aluminum pipe. I turned the ends smooth, and then threaded them for retaining rings to keep out weather. One end had a disc of aluminum, the other end plastic from a can of peanuts to keep out rain.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Mine is a Burnard Pratt chuck -- and I wish that I had the external jaws for tt too. It is on a mount which makes it an adjust-tru style (I forget who has copyrighted which names for the same feature. :-)

And looking at the jaws, I think that this one was for a cylindrical grinder, not a lathe, but I'm not sure.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

[ ... ]

It looks like it was kissed by a cylindrical grinder, which should not have damaged it. The shape of the jaws looks like it was for such a grinder, too.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

It's good for facing tubing, threading same, working thin rings. Good for making photo adapters for cameras, optical mounts, stuff like that. Backplates can be machined up from solid if you don't care for the prices they ask in the catalogs. Make a dummy spindle end first for fitting purposes.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

You are most likely right. Take note that two of the jaws are not identical to the others. Likely removed to hold a part that required clearance at the two locations. You are not required to use all of the jaws.

Do keep in mind, a three jaw chuck with master jaws (two piece jaws) can serve almost very purpose that is served by a six jaw, by using soft jaws. They are heads and shoulders better than a six jaw in that you can surround the part by nearly 100% jaw, preventing distortion of the part. In addition, by some creative machining (on a mill) you can machine the jaws to hold irregular parts---square, hex, etc., with little effort. Even hold parts off center, as desired. Bottom line? Don't lose a lot of sleep by not having a six jaw. I worked in the trade for many years and used one only infrequently. By sharp contrast, I used soft jaws almost daily.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Ok, copy all...