Not all 12x30 lathes are created equal

This Pratt and Whitney 12x30 lathe
http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/tmp-6362.jpg
probably weighs as much as three times more than this 12x36 lathe
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumbere044
And probably two times more than my 14x48" Clausing.
This is based on my guess that P&W weighs two tons.
It is coming up for a local liquidation sale.
Ignoramus26563 wrote:

I'd love to have that lathe. I have a P&W 10" tilting rotary table and I have to use an engine hoist or forklift to get it onto the Bridgeport table.

This is lot 214 on this page
http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/staticgallery.php?gallery 11&page=9
PRATT & WHITNEY 12" MODEL C/M1694 ENGINE LATH Lot: 214 : PRATT & WHITNEY 12" MODEL C/M1694 ENGINE LATHE: S/N 601: W/32" Bed; Variable Threads & Feeds; 4-Jaw Chuck; 3-Jaw Chuck; Tail Stock; Controls
The auction ends in 6 days or so. It is near Chicago.
I had a pratt and whitney micrometer once, it weighed about 120 lbs. (no shit)
http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/misc/ebay/Pratt-Whitney-SuperMicrometer/ebayhist.html
It was actually purchased by a regular reader of rec.crafts.metalworking.

I also hasten to add that I saw it in person and had the impression that it is very used.
When I asked about the tolerance that it would hold, the owner was relatively evasive.
I would hate someone to bid on it and not see me disclose my opinion.
It may be in a better condition that my uneducated opinion suggests, but I cannot avoid disclosing my opinion.

Ignoramus26563 wrote:

It may well be worn, but it will also be a super well made machine worthy of significant restoration.
I used to live in CT and spent quite a bit of time at P&W plants for various reasons. Nothing they ever made was anything but top notch. Indeed they made a lot of these machines so they could build their turbines when sufficiently good machines were not readily available.
What do you think it will go for?

Here's what I know.
1. The owner told me that everything works (speeds, feeds, etc)
2. The bed surface seems to be somewhat worn, but no deep grooves like in my old Clausing. (note that I only had a VERY cursory look).
3. The owner of the shop that is closed is a reasonable guy, you can call him 960 North Ridge Avenue, Lombard, IL 60148-1209, (630) 426-9200 I have a feeling that he would not mind loading it on a truck for shipping. But of course you have to talk to him.

Prices vary, and I have no idea, maybe between $300 and $1,000. Most likely near $500.
Shipping will kill this deal for you.
On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 14:35:22 -0600, Ignoramus26563

Similar lathes (American) were going for between $500-1300 a week or two ago on Ebay.
Gunner

The turbine manufacturer and the tool manufacturer are two different companies that were loosely connected for a only few years in the twenties. http://www.prattandwhitney.com/history.htm
I'm currently working on modifications and accessories for several P&W machines that probably date to the 1940s, but are still running production in a modern plant.
--
Ned Simmons

Is there any parts support for them?

FWIW, P&W Machine Tools was acquired by Moore Products (formerly Moore Special Tool), which in turn was acquired by Siemens. But they kept the P&W name, although it was altered to something like "Pratt & Whitney Measurement Systems."
I'm probably somewhat behind (what else is new?), but the company was out of the machine tool business decades ago, and concentrated on high-end metrology -- thus your big bench mike.
So I think it's unlikely that there is enough continuity there to have kept the parts business up. However, it may have been picked up by someone else, like the situation with LeBlond.
--
Ed Huntress

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 15:03:18 -0600, Ignoramus26563

Not to my knowldege. One of the first things I did on these machines was to document some of the parts that are no longer available from the last of my customer's scrapped machines.
--
Ned Simmons

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 12:06:55 -0600, Ignoramus26563

It doesn't look nearly as used as the one I have. I can mount a indicator on my cross slide and it will 9-11 thousands movement on the tailstock ways when I move it up and down. However if I adjust the tailstock right it will turn withing .001" from one end to the other.
I have to say that even as clapped out as mine is it's still the sweetest lathe I've ever run. I'd love the have that one but getting it here would be impossible.
Looks like it would fit in a flat rate box! :-)
Martin - twice/three as heavy as my Sheldon 11-44"
Pete C. wrote:

Martin sez:
"twice/three as heavy as my Sheldon 11-44"
Hey Martin; You're over in oil patch country; does your Sheldon have overlarge sindle bore?
Bob Swinney
My Sheldon 11-44 has a small bore - MT4 in place of a chuck. I was a bit dissapointed with the bore - but Dad and I bought it in 1952 and took it home from the hardware store!! Those were the days for tools...
Yes - oil and gas is under my place - still waiting for a driller.
I think easier places are getting it first - but working the way here. Lease but no well on my site. Slant drilling and pool rights.
I have a friend near by that has a high pressure gas well capped. It was to much to play with when lower pressures were all around. Now they are (oil/gas company) considering the cost of big heads and equipment might be worth it.
Back the lathe - Have a very nice MT4 to double angle collet set - for 1" down.
Martin
Robert Swinney wrote:

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 09:23:51 -0600, Ignoramus26563

assuming the ways are in good condition..that would be a Lifetime lathe for someone.
Gunner