Lathe deal at HF

Yesterday I helped a friend pick up a 12X36 geared-head lathe at the Harbor Freight store in Las Vegas (Decatur) . It was this one

On sale for $1500 plus $100 for the stand. ($600 off the regular HF price, about $1000 less than Enco) They still had one left in stock, but reportedly more on the way. Seems like a lot of machine for the money, and (according to the friend) at about $1.50 a pound, costs less than tomatoes. Odd though, there's no mention of this deal on the web site, in flyers, Inside Track Club, or even at the Henderson location.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

I have this lathe. It's a good value for the money. I also paid $1,599 including the stand. The store managers have the ability to offer lower prices. When I asked for a discount off the retail I was offered the $1,599 price.

Reply to
Rich

That is a nice look> I have this lathe. It's a good value for the money. [...]

The manual shows 60 rpm min. speed, the URL says 50; which one is it? You say "a good value for the money"; does it have any obvious problems? What tooling came with it?

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

Reply to
Rich

Ditto on the 60. Faceplate, two chucks, extra set of jaws, steady and follow rests, two dead centers, one live center, drill chuck and arbor, extra set change gears, adjustable wrench, set allen keys, world's cheapest screwdriver, tool box, sleeve for spindle to dead center ( I think that's what it is), T and L chuck keys. I probably forgot something. Oh, and a manual... in actual English! But it's not the best written, refers to multiple levers as "feed" lever. :-)

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

I was at HF on Interstate avenue in Portland Oregon today. I couldn't belive the price and they said they had one left still in the crate.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard Weich