HF drill bits

Anybody else spring for that HF special on drill bits? You know the one that cost ONLY $79.95 and contained 2 or 3 good Titanium bits out of the whole bunch, the rest was good for making rings by hand. Mighty expensive drill index!

Reply to
granpaw

Titanium drill bits? Huh?

A while back, I bought the TiN coated set (fractional+number+letter) for

39.95. Every one that I have used so far has been sharp and straight (surprisingly). Of course, I looked at them in the store first. Unfortunately, I didn't examine box/index carefully enough, because it's missing a screw. However, the bits are serviceable. I only wish that I could find a bargain set in machine length. The jobber length of the larger sizes is to long for most jobs in my minimill.

-Greg

Reply to
Greg

You mean this set:

can get it for $79.95 in one of their flyers. This cobalt drill set is actually a good deal. The smaller size sets of cobalt drills that HF has been selling are Russian made, I am not sure about these.

Reply to
Phil Teague

You mean this set:

can get it for $79.95 in one of their flyers. This cobalt drill set is actually a good deal. The smaller size sets of cobalt drills that HF has been selling are Russian made, I am not sure about these.

Reply to
Phil Teague

LOL, you know, I had nothing BUT Horror Fright drills in my toolbox. After reading this group for long enough, I bought a set of U.S.-made screw machine drills.

A few days after that purchase I was drilling 0.25-inch deep holes in mild steel bar. I did my practice run with an HF drill, and after getting about 0.20-inches deep, the bit was burned. Switched to the American drill and it cut through like butter. And did so for the next 16 holes with no problem. Bit was hotter than Hades, but didn't burn. Even lasted through a few "oops"es.

Reply to
Miki Kanazawa

Reply to
JR NORTH

JR NORTH wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I finally figured *that* out after 90% of those bits were laying burnt on the shop floor. I did however purchase jobbers 1/8" titanium 12 in an envelope and have used 1 up in two years. Most of my bits now come from the local salvage yard, a little shapening and they are good to go some even new in wrappers?? It's a damn wonder what the workers in the fabrication plants here throw out, but I love 'em for it..

Reply to
granpaw

Cobalt steel (of course, they only say "cobalt"), 135 degree split points, Sounds pretty good for the price, if the drills are properly sharpened.

Note that if the index was made by HUOT, there is a clip on the divider extending into the side where the letter size drill bits live which can accept a HUOT index for drills in the #61-#80 size range, and

I have just such an index clipped into mine. (I got mine as a set from MSC several years ago for a bit over $100.00, IIRC, but those were plain made-in-USA HSS bits -- nicely ground ones.

I'm not at all sure that what is shown is the HUOT index, as this appears to have a latch for the index, which I don't have.

It would be interesting to check them out, if the price is good enough.

You mean "Titanium Nitride" (TiN)? You can put a TiN coating over drill bits made of licorice, and it won't make them drill any better. You have to start with good metal before you coat it.

Is the index at least a HUOT? I'll bet that it isn't. :-)

Is this the one which you are talking about?

I don't think that I would trust that one. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote in news:cfhblg$3rm$ snipped-for-privacy@fuego.d-and- d.com:

Must be a touch of senility setting in..I got my set a couple years ago from "Northern Merch." NOT HF...but yes that is the set...lower price, but still not worth the powder to make a small explosive device out of the index IMHO.

Reply to
granpaw