Inexpensive step bits?

I have some Klein unibits and love them (bought them years ago).

I need some other sizes and see a lot of "titanium nitride" step bits (harbor freight and others) for just

12 - 15 bucks.

When I bought my Kleins a long time ago, they were a very specialty item...in fact, I think only Klein made them.

So, what's the deal with these inexpensive bits? any users out there? are they any good?

At that price I could buy 2 or 3 bits for what the Klein would cost.

Just need to drill 050-060 aluminum at most -- I never drill steel.

Reply to
mkr5000

I have a set from HF. They seem to work OK so far, but I don't have any nice one's to compare to.

-Brian

Reply to
rtandems

Did you get that pair for 12.99 ? !

I paid 40 bucks a pop for these old Kleins.

What the heck -- worth a try.

Reply to
mkr5000

I think I bought my first Klein back in 85 or so for about $65.

I bought some at Harbor Freight recently, but haven't had time or occasion to try them.

Reply to
Elliot G

Actually, I got three for $8.99:

rtandems

The HF bits are fine for mild steel and softer material. They cut very well, and don't dull very fast. ON SS, they wear quickly; FI on 22GA sheet, mebbe 25 holes per stage. JR Dweller in the cellar

mkr5000 wrote:

Reply to
JR North

I have a gen-u-wine "Unibit" & a 3-bit HF set. I can't tell the difference. Used for mild steel & softer.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Reply to
RoyJ

I use step bits quite a bit in the field. As expensive as they are they are still a lot cheaper than a slug buster set. I have used the Klein, Greenlee, and a number of others. I have found that the tip and the diameter I use most tend to wear out on all of them fairly quickly. When I saw the HF ones I went out and bought two packages. As near as I can tell so far, the don't wear out any faster than the more expensive ones. Sad to say, but even if they do, the price is worth it. Also, since I have hourly techs they are even cheaper still since it doesn't copst as much to replace when they leave one in an atic or drop it through a floor grate.

Reply to
I R AN IDIOT

Great -- nice to have the confidence my money won't be wasted. Hell, I'll just buy 2 or 3 sets.

You never know they could jump in price to 13.99 or something. LOL

Reply to
mkr5000