Recommend quick change drills/bits?

I bought some cheapies from Lowe's recently. They are supposed to be titanium coated. They are the type with the aluminum color shanks. Some of them were noticeably crooked coming-out of the shank. Junk. I had some others (Hitachi I guess) with the same aluminum color shanks, also junk. On the other hand, I still have a few small diameter Black and Decker quickchange bits (solid black) that came with a cheap bit set, that are still working good after some abuse. I would like a more complete quickchange bit set. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Out of curiosity... What do you think about tri-shank drills/bits?

Reply to
John Doe

Also, just ordered some "snappy" quick change bits, drills, and chucks from Amazon and have been happy with them.

Reply to
Swingman

+1 on the Snappy products.
Reply to
Dave - Parkville, MD

Anyone used those for very long? I wonder if they will hold tri-shank drills/bits? Not a big deal, just wondering.

Anyway, looks good to me. Still enjoying the square drive screw set I got from that store many moons ago.

Reply to
John Doe

Scott Lurndal

Yup, Snappy is the standard

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

  • 2 (or more) on the Snappy. Been using a set for 5 or 6 years at least. ...Lew...
Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

besides the fact that link didn't go to "tri-shank". They are good for use in a chuck that has POOR griping. :-) With an Albrecht you don't need them. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Yeah, obviously...

Reply to
John Doe

"Snappy" uses a collet similar to one on a router to hold drill bits in the holders. Most their stuff has a life time warranty also.

Reply to
Leon

I got a set of Ryobi at HD (less than $20). They seem to work okay.

Reply to
HeyBub

+2 on the Snappy products. The hex-screw on the cheapies is too small and strips out real easy. Not so on the Snappys. Definitely worth the $.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

And I guess that is three sided. Maybe I could have used a router bit today, making two small pits in a board to accommodate screwheads on the board it was being glued to.

In the process of acquiring those Snappy quickchange adapters, online since they probably are not available locally. I am surprised they do not cost more, I guess most people just do not need quickchange and/or are not willing to pay for an extra item to make any of their round drill bits usable as quickchange drill bits. Sounds great to me.

Reply to
John Doe

If there is a Woodcraft store near you they can be had there. I saw them at a WW show and was impressed when the demonstration included using a counter sink bit to drill into steel.

Reply to
Leon

I've had good luck with DeWalt bits, ditto on B&D. Both are on the pegs at all the stores around here, YMMV. Tool King here usually has the humongous DeWalt sets, they're online, too. The "Bullet" point drills work well on sheetmetal.

Some of the specialty wood working suppliers may have some other offerings, Rockler Hardware, Woodcraft and McFeely's are all outfits I've done business with.

As far as TiN, it's usually used to disguise tomato can-grade drills. Something about that shiny gold coating pulls folks in. Once it's gone, the twist usually unwraps. Look for black oxide or full polish, cobalt if you're drilling steel.

Stan

Reply to
stans4