Which Style Drill Bits to Buy? / Opinions on Craftsman Drill Bits?

Has anyone had experience with Craftsman brand drill bits? I bought a

30-piece Black & Decker drill bit set for $10 from Wal-Mart a few years back. At the time, I didn't have ANY drill bits, so I was glad just to have SOME drill bits. I am not happy with how well they have worked (some broke), so since then, I just went to Sears and bought a single bit in the size I needed. I bought one "cobalt" style drill bit, and it went through a hard steel pipe pretty quick! Well, it is time to quit playing 1sies-2sies and to just buy a whole set. They have 3 different 29 piece (1/16" - 1/2", by 1/64" sizes). Black Oxide is $60. Titanium Nitride is $90 and Cobalt is $100. I am thinking about buying the $100 set of 29 cobalt drill bits. I would just use those for hard metal.

Besides that set, I was thinking about getting a $60 set of black oxide drill bits. I was planning to use those for for wood, plastic or soft metal.

Does anyone care to share their experience with Craftsman drill bits, or experience as to which set of bits I should buy/not buy? If it helps, my drill is a cordless 14.4 volt Craftsman, and I use it maybe once a week.

Thanks!

Reply to
JWho

From what I understand..the drill bit set..letter, number and fractional, thats being sold at Costco for $49 or so..is a pretty decent set. Several machine shop maint. department have bought them and are quite happy with them.

Gunner who knows that many of the exact same make, model and type of tool sells at both sears and HF..and usually for 1/2-1/3 at HF

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

Crapsman is for homeowners. For sure those are just cheap imports. I suggest you look at an industrial supplier's stock of US made drills. HSS is all you need, fancy coatings or cobalt are mostly irrelevant if you're just drilling stuff on a drill press. Look at Enco

or MSC
and you'll rapidly see lots of US drill manufacturers. $100 should get you a real nice set, by the way you might want to get the 116 piece set not the 29 piece set.

And buy 1/8" or 9/64" drills by the 10-pack and always use those for the first hole, let those cheap drills do all the piercing work. After that you can step drill using much lower pressure and this will make the drills in your set last much longer.

You should not be breaking drills. If the workpiece is clamped and you are using a drill press or mill, breaking drills should not be an issue. I occasionally break small drills when I'm using a handheld drill motor, no sweat.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

You can get many of those 118 piece sets for as little as $30 if you look around. Try and find a deal on a 135-degree split point set as these tend to wander less if you are starting a hole without a pilot.

In addition to these, get yourself a step drill for use with thin metal. They look like a cone with steps and they're much easier to use than twist drills when you need to make a hole in sheet metal or thin plastic.

Avoid the temptation to buy twist drills any bigger than 1/2" diameter. It's easy to wreck things and spill blood if you aren't careful with them, and most holes will turn out better using a hole saw for the larger sizes.

Reply to
Tim Killian

The Costco/Sam's club drillset Gunner mentioned (115 drills) were $39, and now are $29 at Costco, w/ the 135 deg tip someone mentioned, and w/ 3/8 shanks for the 3/8-1/2" drills. Above avg case, titanium coated (altho I can't vouch for its toughness yet), a MUCH better set than the one my supplier put together for me (albeit in Huot cases--not all that much better than the Costco).

Worksmith is the brand I think, w/ an 800 number for customer support! The drills are stamped, the case marked well (but not stamped).

I got THREE of these sets--one for the fadal, one for the lathe, one for the drill press table--at $39. At $29, I can't imagine more bang fer yer drilling buck.

Also, very good overall advice in this thread.

Proctologically Violated©®

Thanks for the suggestion to look at Costco.

Reply to
JWho

Thanks for the links. I checked them wuickly, but will have to go back and wade through all of it. There are a LOT of options and brands I have never heard of.

I assume I used them wrong, as well as them being of poor quality. At $10 for 30 bits, I think I got wat I paid for. :-(

I don't own a drill press, just the Craftsman 14.4 volt cordless drill mentioned in the original thread. A drill press is definitely on the "future purchase" list.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Reply to
JWho

Thanks for the suggestions. I was not planning to buy a drill bit larger than 1/2". If I needed one larger than that, I would not miond just going to buy a single. For 1/2" and below, I have reached the breaking point of not having the correct sized drill bit. I want ALL of them from 4/64" -

32/64", and I want them in one single set. I guess you have had a "I DON'T HAVE THE PROPER TOOLS!!" rant at some point in your life. I am pretty much there on drill bits. :-)
Reply to
JWho

Don't buy the cheapest ones you could find like my father used to. I am keeping this to remind me. The whole 99cent set was like that.

Boris Mohar

Thanks for your suggestions.

Reply to
JWho

1sies-2sies

WOW! I think that is one to avoid. :-)

Reply to
JWho

I guess you mean if you're using a handheld drill? I have a 2-1/4" diameter twist drill at work that does a fine job in Aluminum. 3/4" and 1" are no problem in mild steel. Holesaws work OK in thin metal or wood, but often stop and break in thicker material, even with all kinds of cutting lube applied.

Reply to
ATP*

I have one that's better than that. I picked up a cheap set some years back, twist drills and brad-point (wood drills). I was using a brad point in the drill press making some pilot holes in a piece of hard wood. All of a sudden, it quit drilling... Upon closer examination, it had literally "unwound" the flutes and "wound" them in the opposite direction for half the length of the bit... I think I still have the damned thing around somewhere... I call it a "bit for a reversable drill...

Sorry I don't have a picture of it.

Jerry

As an aside... Small drills in a hand-held drill WILL break. The problem is that you end up putting a side load on it. I drill with the mill, if at all possible, on the little stuff.

Reply to
Jerry Foster

LOL! Thank you for the laugh.

Reply to
JWho

Large bits can be dangerous with a drill press too. I saw the aftermath when two yokels decided to drill out the core of a cable spool using a

1" bit. The cable spool was heavy steel, probably 16 gage, and they just plopped it on the table of the machine with no clamps and went at it like they had a 1/4" bit. The twist drill grabbed the spool and I'm surprised they weren't hurt. The 2 HP motor on the drill press completely smashed the spool before flinging it across the shop.

People don't realize that the torque transmitted to a part increases rapidly with the diameter of the bit. There's a reason they put those side handles on 1/2" drill motors.

Reply to
Tim Killian

They're out of stock at both my Costco's. They have a pretty boy kit instead. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

For 16 gage a hole saw would be the best choice. I clamp the hell out of anything on that drill press.

Reply to
ATP*

Thanks for the tips on the drill handles and clamps. I didn't really think about stuff getting moved if the drill bit stuck. I was thinking the clamps/drill press vise was just to hold the workpiece still so you could drill an accurate hole in it.

Thanks!

Reply to
JWho

lol...I bought a set exactly like that, many years ago.and they did the same damned thing..unwound. I sat there..baffled...looking at the drill bit for the longest time..utterly befuddled.

Practice and eye hand coordination will lessen the breakage. I often drill and Tap 4-40 in machine tool bases, with a drill motor. I broke a tap about 3 yrs ago.

Gunner

Gunner Asch