Current LEUP Info?

Hello fellow terroris.. uh rocketeers,

Can someone point me in the direction of the most recent instructions for obtaining a LEUP? Hopefully a set of instructions that have actually managed to keep up with the ATFE's asinine changes.

Also...

  1. Is it true that you now must have a storage magazine to get a LEUP? If so, what type(s) of mags are acceptable? Especially, what do you have to do to legally transport your magazine to a launch? (I read somewhere that they we're going to require the mag be bolted to your vehicle or some such nonsense.)

  1. Do most LEUP holders make their own magazine, or do they buy them? If you buy them, where can I purchase an approved mobile magazine?

  2. How long can I expect this BATFE BS to take?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Mick Newton

Reply to
Michael Newton

You do ont put rocket motors or propellants in magazines.

It's done now.

27 CFR 555.141-a-8

I just gave you the best help ever imagined: an exemption.

Just Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Yes, OR you can use someone else's storage, if that is available to you.

Reply to
RayDunakin

If it has AP in it it must be stored in the magazine. HSA

HSA overrides this. It was nice while it lasted huh.

Reply to
Robert DeHate

Now if only the ATF would recognize it...

Reply to
RayDunakin

Where? Cite it.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

They do. Look at enforcement actions as a guide.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I'm more concerned with what the dealers will recognize.

Reply to
Michael Newton

P O I N T ! !

Just Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Mick,

I see you've got a lot of useful information so far in response to your post. Here are some links that should be useful: ATF Regs and specs

that current regs call for padlocks with 3/8" diameter shackles. There's a notice of proposed rulemaking that will change that to 1/2" if adopted. (Good luck finding locks with 1/2" dia. shackles.....there's not many out there).

Based on a suggestion from a fellow club member, I'm going to convert a metal tool box into a type 4 magazine. Here's the box from Sears that i'm plannng on using

Also, the NAR website has a "how to" article in the cabinet section regarding filling out the application.

Hope that helps some.

Reply to
Bill Wehner

Looking around hardware stores a while back, it appeared that 7/16" was the largest commonly available size. (I suspect that's why they proposed 1/2" - it's sort of like passing a law that requires an insurance policy of a type that no company actually issues, or something...)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Bill,

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

So, as near as I can figure out from the numerous .pdf files on the site you sent me the following would be the minimum required to obtain a low-explosives user permit (please keep in mind that I am not a lawyer. )

(1) A type 4 magazine, which must be stored in a non-inhabited weatherproof building, situated at least 75 feet from any inhabited building, 75 feet from any highway, and 50 from any other magazine. (2) Approval from the local fire marshal. (3) A correctly filled out license application with photo and fingerprint card. (4) $100.00 grease money for the Gestap? BATFE.

Does that sound about right?

Did you know that according to item #18 in the "Questions and Answers" section in "18 U.S.C. Chapter 40 and 27 CFR Part 55", it's legal to purchase and use dynamite on your own property without any permit or license? But, I'm required to have to have a $100.00 BATFE permit in order to possess an H impulse motor, which used to be considered a toy! I've used dynamite before, and I can assure you that it's quite a bit more powerful than any HPR motor I've ever seen.

"You want to blow stuff up with dynamite? No problemo. Knock yourself out."

"You want to fly a model rocket? What, are you some kind of psycho? You must be one of those terrorists I've been hearing about."

Also, it's perfectly legal to possess up to 50 pounds of commercially manufactured black powder if you use it to shoot something with a muzzle-loading rifle. But to use .8 grams of the same material for an ejection charge in a rocket you need a permit!

Unf'ing believable.

Regards, Michael Newton

Reply to
Michael Newton

Ray,

Thanks for the reply. I'll be looking around for a type 4 magazine soon.

Regards, Michael Newton

Reply to
Michael Newton

A pumphouse is a building, whether or not it has a pump in it at the time.

Yes.

NO! Read further. 27 CFR 555.141-a-8 exempts ALL PADS from Federal lisencing requirements.

ALL.

Do NOT put rocket motors or propellants in a magazine. It is actually illegal !

Propellants are EXEMPT from the explosives regulations.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Didn't quite get that right. An outdoor magazine must be 75,75,50,.... an indoor magazine must be stored in a uninhabited building. It doesn't say where that uninhabited building must be located, OR define what a building .

Question 18 - 18. Are binary explosives subject to regulation under Federal explosives laws? Doesn't indicate that it's legal to purchase and use dynamite. However, the Q&A are prior to May 24 and for whatever reason do not reflect the passing of the HSA.

Question 38 - 38. I want to buy a small quantity of dynamite from my local dealer to use on my property. Do I need a Federal user's permit? No, provided the dynamite is purchased in your State of residence and not transported across State lines. A user's permit is required when a nonlicensee acquires or transports explosive.....

No longer applies because of HSA you need an LEUP to purchase explosives from your state.

Joel. phx

Also, you must know your local rules because some places (like Phoenix) might have greater restrictions.

Correct.

No, politics.

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Your best bet is a mortise lock, which doesn't even have the tumbler requirement.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Dynamite is not used as a propellant (IAFAIK) anywhere. It IS an explosive and you are required to have an LEUP to purchase non-exempt [low] explosives, even instate.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

According to some reports, if the magazine is inside a building, the building itself doesn't have to meet the distance requirements. If this is true, you could put the magazine in a shed right outside your back door. The big question here is, Will the ATF and local fire marshal accept a shed as a "building" suitable for storing an indoor magazine?

Reply to
RayDunakin

Jerry,

Yes, I saw that section. But, does the BATFE classify AP motors as a PAD? I kind of doubt it. The BATFE now classify AP as a low explosive. But then they also state that visco safety fuse is an explosive requiring a permit, and later in the same document state that it's exempt if used with your 50 lbs. of muzzle-loader fuel.

I think I'll make up a motor with 50 lbs. of black powder, then I'll sharpen the nose of my rocket and go deer hunting.

Huh?

Regards, Michael Newton

Reply to
Michael Newton

There are 2 types of type 4 magazines; indoor and outdoor. The 75' distance rules apply to a outdoor type 4 magazine. For the indoor type

4 magazine those distance rules do not apply. I reread and reread the orange book until it finally sunk in. My local fire marshall thinks the same but as we all know local regs can differ greatly.

I have told by 2 fire marshalls that a shed would do fine as a type 4 outdoor magazine provided it had a solid foundation and appropriate locking mechanisms.

Too me rocket people are being directly targeted by the BATFE. I wonder if the BATFE actually know about 18 U.S.C. Chapter 40 and 27 CFR Part

  1. Judging from other peoples experience with some BATFE agents they probally don't.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
moonglow