Can someone explain power sources to me?

I'm looking at buying either a MIG or TIG setup. I'm leaning toward a
ThermalArc TIG either the 185 or the 200 amp inverter, but I really
don't know.
Anyway, that's not what this is about. I've seen a lot of specs
saying single-phase, 3-phase, and both. Now I read this from the
Miller web site:
To select the right product, you need to match it to the type of
primary power available: single-phase (home, garage, barn) or
three-phase (industrial), 115, 200, 230, 460 or 575V. For primary
power flexibility, look to Miller's inverter-based products featuring
Auto-Line or Auto-Link. They automatically accept single- or
three-phase power, as well as multiple voltages without any manual
relinking of jumpers.
Now my question is this: Does single phase not require 220 volts? I
want to be able to set all this up in my garage and I already have a
sub-panel out there. It'd be great if I could run it on just 110
volts instead of 220. Can anyone enlighten me or at least point me in
the right direction?
rvb
Reply to
rvb
Regular residential power is single phase and it is available at either 110 or 220V depending on how you make the connection to your panel. Your lighting circuits run on 110V ( really 120V ) but your stove is connected such that it runs on 220V (really 240V). Both are single phase. When selecting your welder you obviously want to get one that will run from the power you can provide so it is essential you check the power input requirements. From the Miller description they have some models that can detect what they are being powered with and automatically set themselves up to run from that source. Others have this as well. If you have a sub-panel in your garage then there is a chance it was wired with a 220V line and neutral from the main panel. Check it out if you don't know for sure.
Billh
Reply to
billh