UPDATE: Descon 12

Hi All,
There are two SOLUTION pages updated on RMRDESCON.COM:
Norman Dziedzic Jr - TF/CLUSTER-1
Drake "Doc" Damerau - The First Spaceship on Venus - Cosmostrader
Both are in various stages of construction or complete and have not
flown yet.
Norm's was submitted with a target of 0.2 mission point.
Doc's was submitted as compliant for full 1.0 mission point. What say
you RMR? I question the "comedy" aspect.
Regards,
Nick
Reply to
EMRR
The few reviews I saw didn't mention any comedy. Since I didn't read the rmr thread, which may have clarified the situation, my mind initially read the contest as 'comedy or sci-fi'. I have talked to several others who weren't sure either. I can go either way, my entry will be sci-fi but not comedy.
Dick Stafford
I am not too sure about the comedy aspect, maybe Doc could clear that up, but I am surely impressed with the amount of time and energy he has expended in these projects! I haven't found time to open the box yet!
Reply to
THS
His performance exceeds his appearance :)
But at least his appearance has a mazi-Andromeda in them.
Jerry
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
He said he read a review on the movie and the guy beat it up a bit and said it made him laugh... I think this was Bob K's point in another thread.
RMR needs to determine if he should get the full point, fall back to 0.6 (missing all and missing comedy), or if we want on this one area to split the difference of the comedy - or - sci-fi and call it 0.9 points (with comedy -and- sci-fi for 1.0).
Please input your opinions....
Nick
Reply to
EMRR
I was (perhaps falsely) under the impression that it was a comedy. I did a google search using "Comedy Sci-Fi Spaceship" and I got a ton of hits. I did lightly peruse a review on the movie and the guys thought it "sucked" but was hilarious. Perhaps it was the "cheesiness" of it that amused him.
I'll leave it to the consensus.
-- Drake "Doc" Damerau
NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply
Reply to
Doc
Thanks Jerry. (I think) ;-)
-- Drake "Doc" Damerau
NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply
Reply to
Doc
Comedy is largely subjective..I for one am quite impressed!
Chris
Reply to
THS
Since I'm the one who first proposed "best sci-fi comedy ship", let me clarify what *I* was thinking. I'm not claiming that EMRR is in any way beholden to this original proposal; it's merely an explanation of what I had in mind.
Here's the original post:
...now, what I specifically had in mind was a rocket ship or space vehicle, or possibly even other hardware (i.e. Bender, Marvin the Robot, the Jetson's maid robot, etc.) taken from a movie, TV show, book or other popular media, which was both science-fiction AND *intended* to be funny . In this sub-genre, I would include the above mentioned shows, plus other candidates like the SNL skit ships, Saturday- morning cartoons like the Jetsons, Josie & the Pussycats in Outer Space, etc., the MST3K 'dog bone', Wallace & Gromit's moon rocket, My Favorite Martian's saucer, the Winnebago from 'Spaceballs', Mixer / Iron from 'Hardware Wars', the spaceship from 'Pigs in Space' (Swinetrek? Swinepork?), etc. etc. etc.
I wouldn't consider the Cosmostrator or Buck Rogers' ships to be 'comedy' sci-fi, even if they may get a chuckle nowadays for their kitschiness, because I don't believe it was their original intention to be funny. Even the 'Vulture' from 'Salvage 1' would be a bit suspect, since it was 'light' sci-fi drama with an occasional joke, but overall the genre was light drama, not comedy. If you wished to extend the field to sci-fi which is considered 'kitschy' by today's standards, you may even be forced to admit almost every sci-fi film or serial made prior to 1968 - even some attempts made more recently, such as 'Battlestar Galactica'.
There it is, just my $0.02 worth.
Reply to
BB
I did not bother to make an entry because of the comedy requirement. If doc found a way around that rule, more power to him.
Last I quit reading the thread it was going to be flying win a bag o's from space balls and other assorted venue.
I've got a great Jupiter II Plastic Model I could convert to fly like a snitch on 38mm , that's the ticket, and with the Carot planet master eposode I can claim campy comdey as well ! But that would not be using the fliss kit points or Micro Maxx, ohh well, to many rules for me.
art
> --
Reply to
Art Upton
This movie was featured on Mystery Science Theater 3000, so maybe you could get comedy points after all.
While exploring the planet, the crew is endangered by some kind of disgusting brown and red goo (lava? mud?) that bubbles up out of the ground.
Joel: "This planet has a saggy diaper that leaks!"
Reply to
RayDunakin
Leaky diapers are ALWAYS a serious matter!
Reply to
BB
granted , that's funny to us now, but back then they took it seriously.
Reply to
Art Upton