Norman prototype?

I see Mark Howard's engine which provoked so much discussion a while ago appears in SEM this month - I'm pretty convinced that Roland was right in identifying it as a varient (prototype/experimental?) of the early Norman - will you be writing to SEM to get it 'on the record' Roland?

Reply to
Nick H

Sadly relations between SEM and I mean that I will not. In any case Mark had that opinion and elected not to use it. I have not a shred of evidence and am not a great believer in speculation for its own sake :-) ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

I think Mark had already submitted the ID & ASST item when you hit upon the Norman connection (the delay in material appearing in SEM seems to get longer and longer - still waiting for the follow up to my Inglis piece). To my mind the similarity of the timing chest/mag bracket, governor weights and that long throttle lever move it beyond the realm of idle speculation. If any of these parts have casting numbers it would be interesting to compare with a known Norman - as I mentioned, there is a complete Bungalite set in Stamford museum.

Reply to
Nick H

Fair point. As it happens I had an enquiry at about that time from (what turned out to be) a Bungalyte owner. I put he and Mark in touch so they could swap info. Don't know what came of it though ? ttfn Roland

speculation

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Hi Chaps

Sorry, I've not been too attentive recently - busy, xmas etc.

You were right Nick, the article was submitted before Roland came up with his suggestion - actually it was Eric Brain who produced and made the submission, which may account for the speed with which it got published - thanks again Eric.

Having done some more research based on the Roland's suggestions and those of the NG, I can only but agree that the similarities are too numerous to dismiss. I now firmly believe the engine to be in some way connected to Norman. Maybe a prototype, maybe a lesser known water-cooled version of the D1? I am hoping that there is an SEM reader out there who has seen one before - here's hoping.

Based on some limited evidence and plenty of speculation related to the magneto serial number, it seems that it may have been built around the same time as the D1 was in production. Whether this and the visual similarities make it a Norman only time will tell - possibly!

Regards

Mark

speculation.

Reply to