crossley 1040

firstly : Happy New Year To All !

i'm after some small parts for the 1040 - a fuel priming cup (can these be bought ? and 2 brass needles ,as my own engine has 2 stainless steel needles which im not sure if the engine ever ran on them .

anyone know of a scrap engine that may have them parts ? any help would be appreciated .

i'm considering having the mag done by a man in Co.limerick - as its still giving a weak spark - this bring me to ask a qeustion to fellow

1030/40 owners , the gear that drives the magneto , if it was to be removed -to get the magneto off the bracket , is there any markings as to the correct way of putting it back on ??

i've added pictures of the crossley ,and of the cooley vintage rally ,and the national ploughing championships vintage section if anyone would like a look :

& regards - john dungan , =C9ire

Reply to
jdungan100

There is no reason why the stainless needles should not be original - stainless was used in this context from the 1920's as the needle rotates in its jet and when both jet and needle are brass, wear is accelerated. Stainless work hardens very quickly and tiny fragments of that well know material, s**te, are hammered into the inner surface of the jet, thus arresting wear.

Put the engine on compression at TDC - a finger over the plug hole will do it. Mark the previously-cleaned gear face where they meet with something like Tipex. That said, there must be an established way of timing the magneto, this just gets you up and running quicker - unless the timing is out already, of course ......

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

All politicians are like nappies . . . . .

i'm after some small parts for the 1040 - a fuel priming cup (can these be bought ? and 2 brass needles ,as my own engine has 2 stainless steel needles which im not sure if the engine ever ran on them .

anyone know of a scrap engine that may have them parts ? any help would be appreciated .

i'm considering having the mag done by a man in Co.limerick - as its still giving a weak spark - this bring me to ask a qeustion to fellow

1030/40 owners , the gear that drives the magneto , if it was to be removed -to get the magneto off the bracket , is there any markings as to the correct way of putting it back on ??

i've added pictures of the crossley ,and of the cooley vintage rally ,and the national ploughing championships vintage section if anyone would like a look :

& regards - john dungan , Éire

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Looked at the pictures - the magneto may well be OK. Put it in the airing cupboard for six weeks to dry out the armature windings, clean the points properly, take out the pick up brush holder & clean that too. Your spark may then be crackin' !

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

thanks kim . i'll certainly give the airing cupboard a try out .

i forgot to mention - half the reason i'm after new(old) needles is because one of them is bent.

thanks again for the advice - john

Reply to
jdungan100

Just straighten it, John, do it by eye and roll it on a flat surface until it's OK. Carbs on stationary engines are hardly rocket science!

Save the pennies, be frugal ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn . wrote

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

John,

I'm afraid I can't help with any of your questions yet. I'm just trying to be a bit cheeky really. I'm just starting (brought indoors today) the restoration of a Crossley 1030 and I was wondering if you had any info that my be useful? tools? documentation? etc. I would be intrested in where you where thinking of sending your mag as mine needs a bit of work (i think. I have not touched it yet). Any info you have will be more than I have I can assure you I only realised it was a crosley yesterday.

Regards

Pete

snipped-for-privacy@eircom.net wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted from Internal Fire Newsreader

Share your knowledge in... uk.rec.engines.stationary ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Pete

i'm sure one of the lads could advise on where to send your mag - as i'm in ireland .

i don't have any documentation ,sorry - should i pick some up ,i'd gladly scan it for you though - good luck with your restoration . regards -john

Reply to
jdungan100

Pete, If you buy a copy of Stationary Engine and look under the help section you will see a couple of names. Or maybe tell us what you think it needs and one of us will point you in correct direction.

Mart> John,

Reply to
Campingstoveman

The answer as usual is in SEM. Inside front cover; David Edgington's lists item 43 - Crossley 1030/1040 and 1050 instruction spare parts booklet, 28pp £3 !!! At about the price of a pint per month SEM has to be good value . Not only would it save an awful of meandering in the dark but its sometimes even a good read :-) ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Roland,

You cynical old bugger :-)), the cold has obviously retreated and your back to your old self.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Evening O' vapourising one. Not at all I just get a bit miffed about this electronic world where many folk expect to be able to sit in front of a screen and have the world come to them without effort. Apart from anything else its very isolating and leads to all sorts of ills like paying 130 quid for a 15 quid Lister D. It also means your knowledge is limited to what someone else already knows and you are denied the joy of the fresh discovery. I should say that this tirade is directed at the fool emails I get rather than any posters to this group. The best advice for anyone new to the hobby is still join a Club and subscribe to SEM (despite my trenchant views on some of its editorial policies). If we all jabbered away here until our last breath we still would not cover

1% of what has been in SEM (the key parts of which are still available through the reprint service or have been published separately). Such small knowledge as I have has come from talking to real people alongside extensive reading and study. Sometimes the resources of the Net have added to that but they did not and IMHO can not provide the base knowledge. There - now see what you've done :-) regards Roland
Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Thanks guys for the info.

I have sent off for the booklet via David Edgingtons web site. And will get hold of a copy of the magazine.

Thanks again

Pete

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted from Internal Fire Newsreader

Share your knowledge in... uk.rec.engines.stationary ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
pete (peteang

"Roland and Celia Craven" wrote (snip):-

Hear, hear! SEM is an invaluable archive. Likewise Pat Knight's A-Z of British engines and Charles Wendel's American gasoline engines should be high on anyone's shopping list. Intelligent perusal of these would save many a query - although it has to be admitted that it is sometimes nice to appear a right smart a*** simply by regurgitating information thus gleaned ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

There now you feel better all ready :-))

Mart> Evening O' vapourising one.

Reply to
Campingstoveman