Ball hopper Lister L

Evening all,
Thanks to a tip off from a certain peterborough
based member of this NG, Sunday steve and i traveled off down to
oxfordshire to collect quite a rare Lister L. There are a few important
bits missing, including the magneto , the piston and conrod, and the
crankcase inspection plate, the engine is in a bit of a state but i
think it is worthy of restoration, luckily the S/N is still readable on
the crank shaft and dates it to around 1927, but im sure a letter to
David edgington will reveal a more accurate date, It will be going into
storage untill i have finished a couple of my other projects, and will
be fasttracked up the restoration list and will perhaps be next winters
project. If anyone has any L type parts i'm missing that they would be
willing to part with in return for beer tokens i would be very
intersted to hear from them??
Photos on webshots ,If theres any other Listeritis sufferers out there
would like a look. :-))
Regards Gary Millward

gary millward
Gary,
You're not trying to wind Martin up are you? ;-))
Good to see the Warsop in the background in a much better state than when I dropped it off...Has Steve got flat toes yet?
Cheers
Dan
Reply to
Dan Howden
Dan, I would'nt want to wind Martin up. Anyway he's got that lovely M type to play with. :-))
The warsop dont seem to want to play anymore, i think a full strip down is on the cards over xmas. Lets hope steves toes stay intact, i need him to push these big lumps of iron around. :-))
Regards Gary
Reply to
gary millward
Thats it wind me up, Gary and I think you are playing one against the other any way. I'll puncture a few of his tyres next time I see him, that should at least slow him down :-))
Martin P
Dan Howden wrote:
Reply to
Campingstoveman
Martin, the bitterness seems to be creeping in :-))
Gary M
Reply to
gary millward
I'm not bitter you B*****d. Ah thats better, of my chest now:-))
Martin P
gary millward wrote:
Reply to
Campingstoveman
I must admit to a bit of good sport here....I spotted the Lister soon after it was listed on ebay, and not having funds or space for it myself I figured that it would interest Martin or Gary. Hence I 'e-mailed item to a friend', sat back and waited for one of them to press the button. I think Gary had the advantage of not being married ;-))
Dan
Reply to
Dan Howden
Ouch that hurt :-((
Martin P
Dan Howden wrote:
Reply to
Campingstoveman
For a model made for the Canadian market, there are a fair few about, are there not?
Regards,
Kim Siddorn.
Reply to
Kim Siddorn
Kim, I allways thought the canadian ball hopper listers were rare here in the UK (I'm open to correction,) one possible reason for them being sold here could be due to cancelled orders in canada.
I would be interested to know why the canadians prefered this style of hopper instead of the Parellel hoppers or tank cooling so prefered here in the UK ??.
Regards Gary M
Reply to
gary millward
IIRC the shape is said to have been copied from the Baker Monitor engines. In theory the hopper shape allows for the expansion that takes place as water passes through 4 degC on its way to and from freezing. I can only imagine that this is due to the inherently greater strength of a sphere over a cylinder owing to more even distribution of stress. Appletop Petters seem to have sold especially well in Scotland (and I've never seen one with frost damage) so there may be something in it. Open to correction as always. ...and now back to decorating and a dead dishwasher :-(
Roland
Reply to
Roland Craven
well folks i could'nt resist it. I went to secure the workshop for the nite and had to have a play, the engine is as rusty as a dog and after a good clean of the keyways and some emery paper on the crank both flywheel keys came out with the help of a key drift, then a bit of heave ho and both flywheels are free on the shaft, just need to finish cleaning up the crank and they should slide off I can't believe it
Gary M
Reply to
gary millward