Ball hopper Lister L

Evening all, Thanks to a tip off from a certain peterborough based member of this NG, Sunday steve and i traveled off down to oxfordshire to collect quite a rare Lister L. There are a few important bits missing, including the magneto , the piston and conrod, and the crankcase inspection plate, the engine is in a bit of a state but i think it is worthy of restoration, luckily the S/N is still readable on the crank shaft and dates it to around 1927, but im sure a letter to David edgington will reveal a more accurate date, It will be going into storage untill i have finished a couple of my other projects, and will be fasttracked up the restoration list and will perhaps be next winters project. If anyone has any L type parts i'm missing that they would be willing to part with in return for beer tokens i would be very intersted to hear from them?? Photos on webshots ,If theres any other Listeritis sufferers out there would like a look. :-))

Regards Gary Millward

gary millward

Gary,

You're not trying to wind Martin up are you? ;-))

Good to see the Warsop in the background in a much better state than when I dropped it off...Has Steve got flat toes yet?

Cheers

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Dan, I would'nt want to wind Martin up. Anyway he's got that lovely M type to play with. :-))

The warsop dont seem to want to play anymore, i think a full strip down is on the cards over xmas. Lets hope steves toes stay intact, i need him to push these big lumps of iron around. :-))

Regards Gary

Reply to
gary millward

Thats it wind me up, Gary and I think you are playing one against the other any way. I'll puncture a few of his tyres next time I see him, that should at least slow him down :-))

Mart>> Evening all,

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Martin, the bitterness seems to be creeping in :-))

Gary M

Reply to
gary millward

I'm not bitter you B*****d. Ah thats better, of my chest now:-))

Mart> Martin, the bitterness seems to be creeping in :-))

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I must admit to a bit of good sport here....I spotted the Lister soon after it was listed on ebay, and not having funds or space for it myself I figured that it would interest Martin or Gary. Hence I 'e-mailed item to a friend', sat back and waited for one of them to press the button. I think Gary had the advantage of not being married ;-))

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Ouch that hurt :-((

Mart>> I'm not bitter you B*****d. Ah thats better, of my chest now:-)) >>

Reply to
Campingstoveman

For a model made for the Canadian market, there are a fair few about, are there not?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Kim, I allways thought the canadian ball hopper listers were rare here in the UK (I'm open to correction,) one possible reason for them being sold here could be due to cancelled orders in canada.

I would be interested to know why the canadians prefered this style of hopper instead of the Parellel hoppers or tank cooling so prefered here in the UK ??.

Regards Gary M

Reply to
gary millward

IIRC the shape is said to have been copied from the Baker Monitor engines. In theory the hopper shape allows for the expansion that takes place as water passes through 4 degC on its way to and from freezing. I can only imagine that this is due to the inherently greater strength of a sphere over a cylinder owing to more even distribution of stress. Appletop Petters seem to have sold especially well in Scotland (and I've never seen one with frost damage) so there may be something in it. Open to correction as always. ...and now back to decorating and a dead dishwasher :-(

Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

well folks i could'nt resist it. I went to secure the workshop for the nite and had to have a play, the engine is as rusty as a dog and after a good clean of the keyways and some emery paper on the crank both flywheel keys came out with the help of a key drift, then a bit of heave ho and both flywheels are free on the shaft, just need to finish cleaning up the crank and they should slide off I can't believe it

Gary M

Reply to
gary millward