Can a carburetor be TIG welded?

Growing up (32 as of this), I always heard that carburetor "pot metal" could not be welded.

Nowadays, I've heard that almost anything can be TIG-welded (with varying degrees of success/quality).

Can the mounting flange for a carb be welded?---I am referring to a

1960s-era Carter AFB. I've always thought carbs were aluminum, but I've also always heard the term "pot metal" applied to them.

TIA

Reply to
heater451

You might have some luck with the self fluxing aluminum solder rods. Most welding stores carry some brand of them. I have some UTP ones and they might just work for you. Just be real careful on the heat.

You might want to practice on a junker first.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I'd use Devcon or Belazona or the Locktite equivalent if the break is a clean break and you have both pieces....these new epoxies are wonderful and are incredibly durable, and work great on aluminum or pot metal.

Might want to give it a try before you start putting a lot of heat into something like a carb or throttle body. r/ Steve

Reply to
Stephen (Despammed)

Try this alumnimum brazing kit from McMasterCarr part no. 7797A11 $4.48

-tim

heater451 wrote:

Reply to
timm

I thought having it TIG'd would be quick and clean enough to limit the heat transfer, but you raise a good point.

Can Devcon or Belazona be sourced at a local parts store, or might I find them at a marine store?

They sound interesting enough to check into.

Reply to
heater451

A fairly well-stocked auto parts store or a good marine store like West Marine should have an equivalent brand of this kind of stuff. I forgot where I bought mine... may have been NAPA. I belive Loctite makes one of these kind of adhesives, also... look at their web page or

Stephen (Despammed)

Carter AFB = Carter Aluminum Four Barrel

Reply to
Kent Fowler

(Just happened back by the thread. . . .)

Kewl!--I always wondered what the "AFB" stood for in the name.

Reply to
heater451