Kevin Funk would be proud of this

If only he could see this...

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
shreadvector

Kevin would have showed more...

Bob Kaplow

True! And the gal would have bigger, uh, payloads.

,
Reply to
raydunakin

Has the identity of "Ms. Rocket Boosters" ever been revealed?

Reply to
Steve Decker

Have Ms. Rocket's Boosters ever been revealed?

BTW, re: Kevin Funk, I know I've seen the name, in rocketry context, but other than that, I'm drawing a blank. Can somebody gimme a little bio here? Is he still around? The past-tense verbs being used have me wondering.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

pic?

Reply to
tater schuld

Avid rocket guru from the San Diego area. He had Muscular Dystrophy for a very long time and passed away recently from complications (correct me if I'm wrong).

He had one of the best satirical senses of humor in Model Rocketry (or anywhere) history.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Bruce Canino

Long time member of DART (Section 317) and Editor of their newsletter WARP

  1. WARP 9 was a hoot to read, Kevin always had a keen wit and the newsletter showed it. Later on he wrote a column "The Unstable Rocketeer" for AmSpam. I guess he was most known for his Miss Rocket Booster Poster. Later on he formed Discount Rocketry which he ran till his untimely death last year.

We miss you Kevin.

Reply to
Bruce Canino

So, who took over Discount Rocketry? The website is not only active, it's current.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

from the site "Max Thrust":

"Discount Rocketry is now back online with new owners. The site can be found at

The site has been down to the death of the owner Kevin Funk. The new owners, Jim & Ruby Myres have been active in model and high power rocketry and are also owners or the Scale Rockets website at

The current website will remain the same with the same product offerings including Estes, Quest, Aerotech, Custom Rocketry, Cosmodrome and Neubauer kits. Orders are being taken by Fax, Phone and online with Paypal.

For more information contact Jim Myres at (760) 224-0949 or email us at snipped-for-privacy@discountrocketry.com."

Reply to
Roy Green

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

So why do I get a 404 error trying to go there? I navigated to here:

Is this the one everyone's discussing?

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Mark Hamilton

Wait a dog-gone minute. Kevin from Discount Rocketry is gone? Geez, where have I been. DR was one of the major sources for rocketry stuff that we use each year in my school projects. When exactly did this happen? Is DR still up and running? If so, who's running it?

Reply to
Reece Talley

Google will tell you when it happened and the DR website will tell you who runs it now and how they're doing.

You knew that.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

found the obit for any and all who are interested. Although I never met him in person, I had many conversations with him over the phone. I considered him a true gentleman and a man I was proude to say I did business with. I wish I had seen this earlier. I for one, will miss him.

ESCONDIDO - Kevin L. Funk, 49, an Internet entrepreneur, died Thursday, Sept. 2, 2004, at his home following a stroke complicated by muscular dystrophy.

Born in Flushing, N.Y., on May 19, 1955, he spent 24 years in Altadena, Calif., six years in Bryn Mawr, Pa., and 17 years in Escondido. Despite his disability, he attended Pasadena City College, Long Beach State University and the Art Center in Pasadena on crutches.

He was well known nationally among model rocket hobbyists and served several terms as president of Dart, a San Diego area rocket club. He also wrote articles for national rocketry magazines and published the clubís newsletter for many years. In 1991 he began selling model rockets and in 1996 established Discount Rocketry.com an Internet website which he operated from his bedside and wheelchair.

Mr. Funk is survived by his parents, Elizabeth and Richard S. Funk of Escondido; a brother, Gary Funk; and sister-in-law Fabienne Buckle of Fresno; and a nephew, Alexander Funk of Bakersfield.

In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations to the Muscular Dystrophy Association or Elizabeth Hospice in memory of Kevin L. Funk.

Reply to
Reece Talley

Never met him (to my knowledge), but I wonder if I ever 'ran into him' and didn't know it. It appears that we both attended PCC around the same time.

David Erbas-White

Reece Talley wrote:

Reply to
David Erbas-White

David, you attended PCC as in Pasadena City College? When? Are you located out on the west coast?

Reply to
Reece Talley

Mid-to-late 70's. In and out due to work, pneumonia, etc. Believe it or not, my mom teaches there now...

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White