Kevin Funk would be proud of this

If only he could see this...
http://www.estesrockets.com/cgi-bin/ecommerce.cgi?clothing
-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Kevin would have showed more...
You [should] not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harm it would cause if improperly administered -- Lyndon Johnson, former President of the U.S.
Bob Kaplow wrote:

True! And the gal would have bigger, uh, payloads.
,
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Has the identity of "Ms. Rocket Boosters" ever been revealed?

<Groucho on>
Have Ms. Rocket's Boosters ever been revealed?
</Groucho>
BTW, re: Kevin Funk, I know I've seen the name, in rocketry context, but other than that, I'm drawing a blank. Can somebody gimme a little bio here? Is he still around? The past-tense verbs being used have me wondering.
Doug

Avid rocket guru from the San Diego area. He had Muscular Dystrophy for a very long time and passed away recently from complications (correct me if I'm wrong).
He had one of the best satirical senses of humor in Model Rocketry (or anywhere) history.
--
-Fred Shecter
remove zorch two places to reply

Long time member of DART (Section 317) and Editor of their newsletter WARP 9. WARP 9 was a hoot to read, Kevin always had a keen wit and the newsletter showed it. Later on he wrote a column "The Unstable Rocketeer" for AmSpam. I guess he was most known for his Miss Rocket Booster Poster. Later on he formed Discount Rocketry which he ran till his untimely death last year.
<Sigh> We miss you Kevin.
Bruce Canino wrote:

So, who took over Discount Rocketry? The website is not only active, it's current.
David Erbas-White
from the site "Max Thrust":
"Discount Rocketry is now back online with new owners. The site can be found at www.discountrocketry.com.
The site has been down to the death of the owner Kevin Funk. The new owners, Jim & Ruby Myres have been active in model and high power rocketry and are also owners or the Scale Rockets website at http://www.scalerockets.com .
The current website will remain the same with the same product offerings including Estes, Quest, Aerotech, Custom Rocketry, Cosmodrome and Neubauer kits. Orders are being taken by Fax, Phone and online with Paypal.
For more information contact Jim Myres at (760) 224-0949 or email us at snipped-for-privacy@discountrocketry.com."

http://www.scalerockets.com/nosedesigner.html
shockie B)

Wait a dog-gone minute. Kevin from Discount Rocketry is gone? Geez, where have I been. DR was one of the major sources for rocketry stuff that we use each year in my school projects. When exactly did this happen? Is DR still up and running? If so, who's running it?
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
-Fred Shecter
remove zorch two places to reply
found the obit for any and all who are interested. Although I never met him in person, I had many conversations with him over the phone. I considered him a true gentleman and a man I was proude to say I did business with. I wish I had seen this earlier. I for one, will miss him.
ESCONDIDO - Kevin L. Funk, 49, an Internet entrepreneur, died Thursday, Sept. 2, 2004, at his home following a stroke complicated by muscular dystrophy.
Born in Flushing, N.Y., on May 19, 1955, he spent 24 years in Altadena, Calif., six years in Bryn Mawr, Pa., and 17 years in Escondido. Despite his disability, he attended Pasadena City College, Long Beach State University and the Art Center in Pasadena on crutches.
He was well known nationally among model rocket hobbyists and served several terms as president of Dart, a San Diego area rocket club. He also wrote articles for national rocketry magazines and published the clubs newsletter for many years. In 1991 he began selling model rockets and in 1996 established Discount Rocketry.com an Internet website which he operated from his bedside and wheelchair.
Mr. Funk is survived by his parents, Elizabeth and Richard S. Funk of Escondido; a brother, Gary Funk; and sister-in-law Fabienne Buckle of Fresno; and a nephew, Alexander Funk of Bakersfield.
In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations to the Muscular Dystrophy Association or Elizabeth Hospice in memory of Kevin L. Funk.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
Never met him (to my knowledge), but I wonder if I ever 'ran into him' and didn't know it. It appears that we both attended PCC around the same time.
David Erbas-White
Reece Talley wrote:

David, you attended PCC as in Pasadena City College? When? Are you located out on the west coast?
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
Reece Talley wrote:

Mid-to-late 70's. In and out due to work, pneumonia, etc. Believe it or not, my mom teaches there now...
David Erbas-White
writes:

pic?
--
Tater
KC9ESF

http://www.magnumrockets.com/magrbhat.jpg
So why do I get a 404 error trying to go there? I navigated to here:
http://www.estesrockets.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view,415
Is this the one everyone's discussing?