slightly OT

Another Computer question:

I believe there are a number of computer literate people on here so I am asking this question.

I am wading through the results of upgrading from Windows Me to Windows Xp. My database program, Symantic's Q & A, will not work with Xp. It turns out Symantic has sold the Q & A program to an overseas company and they do not currently have a version compatible with Xp. My question is, what data base program can I buy that might be able to import the data bases I created with Q & A.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Bill,

Q&A was / is a fairly simple relational database program. I believe there are several you can download and try for 30 days free like Lantica Software's Sesame.

You can also go to download.com and check out the database section. Some might even be feee.

Here are a couple of links that can possible help

Hope this helps Ron R

Reply to
unimodeler

Bill,

Are you us>

Reply to
Ron

Bill,

I'm not a computer expert and don't know *anything* about Windows, but I do have some experience with personal-computer databases in general (though not Q & A). Usually the easiest way to transfer data from one database to another is by "exporting" the data from its current database in some generic format -- e.g., as a text file with records distinguished by "return" characters and fields within each record distinguished by "tab" characters -- and then "importing" the data from that generic file into the new database. Therefore, I recommend that you proceed by: (1) determining the formats in which your current database can "export" data, and then (2) finding a new database that can "import" data in one of these formats.

Charles Metz

Reply to
Charles Metz

You can use xp home or xp pro as well -- do this >> in xp right click on the program that you want to run - select *properties* >> select >compatibility< tab at the top. >> Check, check box >Compatibility mode< set to >Windows 95< Also check, check box >Input Settings< -- Turn off advanced text services!

Now try symantec program

BBA

Reply to
Billy Bad Assr©

Home!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Thanks to all for the advice. I will have some fun trying a couple of these tonight.

Bill Shuey

"William H. Shuey" wrote:

Reply to
William H. Shuey

If you have not done so, go to Microsoft's site and download the XP rescue program. Loss of power or not allowing XP to shut the computer down can lead to loss/corruption of the registry so bad that it will not reboot. It fits on one 1.44 floppy and the only way to reboot if the above happens. You won't even to be able to use the F10 key for auto recovery.

Personal experience fixing customer's computer I still like DOS :-)

-- Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEearthlink.net Springfield OH

Reply to
Chuck Ryan

Hmmm - how about --> do this >> you will need (admin privileges) your xp os install disk -- insert the xp disk into the cdrom drive. On the desktop click *START* Highlight/Click >RUN< assuming that your cdrom drive is "D" type in the following (without the quotes) "D:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons" .and click ok

This command will copy the recovery program to your hard drive -- this way you won't need your xp install disk or a boot disk to recover or re-write a systems HD boot parameter - plus you can do many things - like start and stop system drivers --

BBA

Reply to
Billy Bad Assr©