Another Quincy Compressor Question?

How long should it take a 5hp, Quincy 325 2 stage pump to fill an 80 gallon tank. I'm trying to determine if the compressor is operating efficently.

Thanks.

Joe...

Reply to
JB
4 minutes, 18.739 seconds... more or less
Reply to
Tom Gardner

Thanks Tom. I'll time her over the weekend. I'm thinking that it's taking longer than that :-(.

Reply to
JB

I forgot to ask...pump rpm?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

JB I would think that there are some variables here that you need to give up to the group so that an educated guesstimate at the answer can be made. Are you filling from 0psi to whenever the switch kicks out. What pressure are you filling to? How about you publish the time that it takes to fill the tank from kick on pressure to the kick off pressure, and what these pressures are. If your kicking out at near the max pressure of the pump then its going to take a lot longer to fill that if you lower max pressure. Max pressure is about 175psi ( I think) on a two stage and if your running to this pressure or above its going to take a long time. Also consider that the pressure switch may be going haywire and not shutting off reliably. If you google this newsgroup you will find this discussion has taken place in the last year or so. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:20:17 -0400, the inscrutable "JB" spake:

I'll let you silly top-posters figure out what order those posts and replies go in...

Question that come to mind are "Why are you having to start from zero PSI? What leaks which would cause that? Why don't you fix THAT? And to what PSI are you pressurizing?"

------------------------------------------ Do the voices in my head bother you? ------------------------------------------

Full-Service Web Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Mine turns on @ 150 PSI and off @ 175 PSI. It takes 1 minute 20 seconds. Don't have a clue how long it takes from 0 pressure, I rarely turn mine off. I have 3 phase delta service and an identical compressor.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I have been tryi ng to figure out why my compressor leaks down and will eventually empty after about a week. I finally narrowed it down to the pressure switch. Anyway, it is currently set to turn on at 145lb and off at

175lb. Except for the slow leak, the pressure switck works fine. It is a square D brand. I am looking for a source to get a replacement.

Thanks afor all the help.

Joe...

Reply to
JB

Interesting that it's the pressure switch leaking, although not much of a leak. Fittings tight? Soap might show where it's leaking. Graybar is a Square D dealer.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

You might have a very small leak around the edge of the pressure switch diaphram. See if there are screws in a circle around the section that sandwiches the diaphram to the bottom of the case. Just don't try to remove the screws while the tank is pressurized.

If you can snug the screws a bit, it may stop the slow leak. If it leaks after snugging the screws, you might need a new switch, although a good Square D product/parts distributor might be able to locate a new diaphram for your specific switch model.

WB ................

Reply to
Wild Bill

Why so much pressure?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Ask Quincy. They come that way, likely because higher pressure is used to provide a larger supply of air (at lower pressure). These are compound compressors with a cooler between cylinders, and what I consider to be slow speed machines. They do not resemble the small high speed clatter boxes that are marketed as compressors. They're serious machines.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Wild Bill,

Thanks for posting. I did snug up the screws around the edge of the pressure switch diaphram. They were in fact lose and tightening them dramatically slowed the leak. Unfortunately, it still leaks. I will probably have to replace the switch.

Thanks again for the help.

Reply to
JB

It came set up that way.

Reply to
JB

I have 3 Q's and the are set at @125 off, @95 on. I don't need higher pressure, it's safer and the Q's WILL last forever! Is there a cost advantage?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Damned if I know, but I'm pleased it operates at the higher pressure. I have an air system on my 1 ton Dodge that turns on @135 PSI and off @ 150. I use a slightly modified auto air suspension compressor to fill the tank, which is quite large, but I can pre-fill it with the Quincy if I desire. Couldn't do that with the lower pressure.

Quincy makes more than one model compressor. Could be you have models different from the ones in question, or yours have been set with different operating pressures intentionally. Are they dual stage? Do they unload?

I went to the dealership where mine was purchased to buy a seal for the crank, which had started seeping oil----when the compressor was something like 20 years old. I inquired at that time what it would cost to replace the compressor and was shocked to find it was something like $3,000. I had paid about $1,000 when I purchased it, new. They had introduced a lesser expensive model that was being sold with similar specs. Can't help but wonder if maybe that's what you have. I've noticed that single stage compressors are operated at lower pressure than are the compound models. At any rate, the turn on and turn off pressures were factory preset and have never been altered. Did you buy yours new, and are the controls set as manufactured?

Considering mine is over 34 years old at this point, and is still pumping dry air (no trace of oil) and has had virtually no trouble (leaking gasket and leaking seal), I'm not convinced I should be worried about how long it will last. It has hydraulic unloading, so it starts load free. High pressure isn't an issue in that regard.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I have set mine up with 70 on, 100 off. Ive a seperate 80 gallon receiver for additional storage..and have never found a need for any air pressure over 100lbs. Shrug...YMMV of course.

My Quincy runs at aprox 300 rpm. It was made in 1963. Still runs fine. Though it has a faint faint clank now..could be a valve hanging or time before long for new bushings on the crank. Before I got it, it ran virtually 24/7 for 30 yrs in an oil field shop.

Gunner

Gunner

I have two #325 and one #qr-25 I can't tell them apart and the parts all seem the same. They are all 2-stage and will do higher pressure. We bought just the pumps over the years and mated them into our existing system so nothing is factory OEM. Our back-up is a 10 hp "Hydrovane" that we run for a day every quarter to service the Quincys. They get fresh oil and a valve cleaning. We try to track-down leaks that will drain the two 80 gallon tanks in about 5 minutes after shut-down but seem to only find the most blatant. I'll bet I'm paying twice as much for air as I should.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Do you remember where it is?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Sure. I just follow the noise and in an hour or so..find it every time.

Gunner

Gunner