Vertical Air Compressor?

Hi Guys,

I am in the market for a compressor for my home shop. I have lots of woodworking equipment and quite a bit of metalworking equipment including air impact wrenches, paint sprayers and air sanders. I am trying to decide between a 60 or 80 gallon vertical compressor. The problem is which brand compressor to buy. I want a 2 stage single phase unit 5hp or more.

There are so many brands and models out there that I don't know which way to go. Quincy, Ingersoll Rand, Puma, Kellogg, Porter Cable, Campbell Hausfield, Husky and so many others. I'm even contemplating an Eaton which when looking at the specifications looks pretty good. Each brand extoles the virtues of their machines i.e. we don't use reed valves or finger valves! Some have all cast iron cylinders, some have cast iron sleeves.

I am lost and look to the collective wisdom of this group for some guidance.

Thanks for the help.

Joe...

Reply to
JB

I can only give my recommendation for Curtis Toledo compressors. I have a 3 HP unit, which delivers roughly 11 CFM. I am very happy with it. I have nothing good or bad to say about other good brands that you mentioned. I suspect that they are all comparable.

Ignoramus28861

Forget Puma, Porter Cable, CH and Husky for starters. Quincy and I-R are both good solid brands. Kellogg I don't know about. Have you watched your local wantads lately? Quality compressors last a *long* time and the best way to get a good deal is to buy a real good one used. Around here I see them *all the time* for like $400-500. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I have an Ingersol Rand 60 Gal vertical. The best $40 I have ever spent! Oh, did I mention that it's only 7 months old now. I lucked out on this one. I was shopping for part for something I was tinkering with one day and saw this IR sitting near the cash register with a defective tag on it that read "leaks". I asked what they were going to do with it, girl said it goes to the back for disposal. I thought WHAT!!! Disposal, why are you gonna do that? Then the manger came out and noticed I was looking at it. He said ya want it? How much said I? Whats it worth to ya? I told him I really wasn't interested in something that wasn't working, ( But I was of course, I noticed a pin hole in a seam????!!!!) I told him that all I had on me was 50 bucks and I needed a part as well. He said give me 40 and take it away! I could barely contain myself as I was walking out to get the truck. I got it home, pulled the valve out, cleaned the paint and old weld away. I dropped a new weld bead on it and damned if I didn't have a brand new IR for 40 bucks. BUT heres the kicker, I registered it with IR Now I have a 2 year warranty to boot! well, 1 year 5mths! I had the pressure switch go out on it, I called IR around 2pm one Tuesday, explained what was going on he asked for the serial # and said he'd would have the part shipped out that afternoon, you know, that part was at my door the next day by 9 AM! Now thats customer service. I love this thing, its so tough it just goes and goes. More than enough power for my lil shop.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher 1

My Campbell-Hausfeld Power Pal ran a long time. Then I overloaded it and bypassed the relief in an experiment. The repair was easy but it was expensive.

Yours,

Doug Goncz Replikon Research Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394

Reply to
DGoncz

Take a look at this model:

I bought the 60-gal model 18 months ago and it has worked out well. It runs on 240V at low RPM so the noise is acceptable, and the four cylinders output roughly the same CFM as a 2-stage pump.

Another > Hi Guys,

Reply to
Tim Killian

Jeez. That review quotes a guy who says things like "Would have expected a molded plastic shroud which seems to be the norm these days."

Yup, the norm at Homo Depo!!

Why listen to bozos like that?

BUY A USED INDUSTRIAL MACHINE.

Nuff said.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I've been very happy with my IR 5 HP Vertical.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Lane,

Which model do you have? Apparently Ingersoll Rand Makes a consumer line TS Series and an industrial line FP Series. What size tank does your compressor have?

Thanks for the help.

Joe...

Reply to
JB

Its a 5 HP T-30 with 60 gal tank, although I see they don't call them T30's anymore. It keeps up with everything I throw at it, including two sandblasters, though not at the same time. I don't see anything relating to TS or FP on their web page. Don't know where you got that information. I was told that the T30 was an industrial grade compressor. I bought it directly from IR. Use the Zip Code finder at the top of the web page.

Lane

Reply to
ATP*

Reply to
Tim Killian

The T-30 is a very good two-stage pump. That design has been around for at least a couple of decades, for good reason.

My smaller IMC knockoff of the T29 has been running for over 20 years now with air up 24/7, and it's seen some use while doing rust work on cars. The (synthetic) oil level is about where it was when I first filled it and it is still the color of new oil.

Reply to
Don Foreman

But _I_ want to compress air _horizontally_!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Happy Sunday.

========================================================== Save the |||

Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I went with an Eagle brand 7.5HP industrial single stage with twin cast iron cylinders, 80 gal. 30 cfm. I went single stage as I want volume and don't need the high pressures. It has a 45 sec. recovery time and is faster and quieter as compared to my old C.H. Pro unit. My CH also leaked oil constantly.

I think you can find them at TSC farm supply too.

Go 80 gallon or better. Be sure to check the specs on charge up time from empty, recovery time, operating noise levels, and motor current. Not all

80 gallon units are equal.
Reply to
Lucky Strike

The T-30 IS an industrial compressor. Ive rebuilt 3 of them in the last couple years. All of them had had very hard lives, and were still ticking, and only needed rod bearings and replacement of reed valves

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state than a blue person in a red state. As a red person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob at least you have a gun to protect yourself. As a blue person, your only hope is to appease the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)

Reply to
Gunner