air compressor

hi all, which is the best air compressor forum? ty g

Reply to
grace

For what compressor use: pneumatic tools, house painting, diving, airbrushing, tire inflation, or something else?

Since there's no single compressor that excells at everything, you need to be a bit more specific.

Reply to
RAM^3

Right here is the place to be. Since both this group and compressors put out copious amounts of overheated air, I'd say you needn't look any farther.

Reply to
carl mciver

Ya tryin' to start a religious argument?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 02:09:06 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "carl mciver" quickly quoth:

Bwahahaha! Two points and an Atta Boy! , Carl.

---------------------------------------------- Never attempt to traverse a chasm in two leaps

Comprehensive Website Design ===========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

yes, i should have been specific. something like a 5-7 hp two stage, single phase (220)for running air tools,blasting,filling tires,etc etc. let's say i need about 14-16 cfm @90 psi. my usual use is between 100 and 120 psi. anyway it's good to know it's the right forum.

1)ok, here are the questions. is a "ciasons" 5 hp 2 stage,single phase,two or three cylinder with a 800 rpm pump a good buy? is it a known company? i must add that it's a one time investment to use about an hour or two daily.

2) i need also to silence it. are there any methods of making it quieter than it is? (nutty neighbors,that's all) the only space i have is a one car garage set up with a small workshop.

3) i once heard that i can get an old 10 horse compressor and underspin it by switching pulleys. it was an engineer who told me that. but when i asked some companies if i could do so, they freaked out saying the machines were built to run at certain speeds and you should not slow them down.

3) i saw one company online. "eaton compressor" they make it themselves and have low running pumps (800 rpm). do any of you folks use them? any comments? they are very fairly priced.

4)what would you say is the best and most reliable? i tried IR once but they are too noisey. ty

Reply to
grace

I have heard of them, but know nothing more than that.

Build a soundproof room for it to live in. Studs, drywall over fiber sound board, insulation, solid core door. Make provisions for ventilation and a thermostat controlled fan, but run both the cool air input and warm air output through some ducting and/or long labyrinth stud spaces to keep most of the noise from exiting the room.

And make sure you have a good inlet air filter, and you can install a muffler on the compressor air inlet after the filter to keep the sound from coming back out that way.

You can under-speed compressors to a point to reduce both the noise and the horsepower requirements - Look at the Grainger catalog. They list a batch of various sized compressors and list how fast you can spin the same unit when driven by a 1, 2, or 3 HP prime mover. But you reach a point where they're turning too slowly to be efficient.

Quincy is supposed to be the Gold Standard for long life according to several friends, with Ingersoll-Rand in the second tier. But if you aren't going to run it long and hard, anything decently designed and oil lubricated will do.

And changing the oil every once in a while will lengthen their life markedly - don't guess, don't dismiss, put an hour-meter on it and change the oil every 10 running hours (or whatever they call for).

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Bruce, I really like your hour meter idea. My compressor is 220V, are there any 220v hour meters? I am definitley going to get one.

Ignoramus26433

Sure! There are two on EBay right now.

Reply to
Don Foreman