Help identify Drill Press problem

I have Shop Fox 17" floor drill press

When I check runout with indicator it shows only 0.002" but when I grab and try to move chuck back and forth indicator shows a lot of movement -

0.030". It feels like whole spindle sleeve is moving.

Can this be fixed? My drill press is still on warranty (I hope this problem is covered their warranty) I'll be calling them on Monday.

Thanks, Alex

Reply to
Alex

Anything can be fixed, Alex. The question is, can it be fixed easily and cost effectively? In this case, based solely on your opinion, if there is excess play in the quill, then it has to be returned under warranty.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Indeed. Spindle is in spec..but the spindle housing..the quill..is loose in ITs housing, the head.

Most drill presses have some way to remove most of this..gib screws under the front cover/label come to mind..though may not be applicable in the OPs case.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner