computer advice- slightly OT

Hi Troops:

I am using Netscape 4.7 for news and e-mail. I suspect I have accidentally changed a setting somewhere as suddenly everything that comes in has all attachments stripped off. All I am getting are the headers. Very frustrating. Anybody have a suggestion what to look at?? Oh yes, I also have McAfee virus scan.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I am no expert on Netscape 4.7 (I remember spending more than a year on my work Solaris 2.6 machine (yech!) trying to get a more modern version running...) but do you know if this is a viewing problem or an actual receive problem? And does it affect your existing mail/news articles (stored locally) or only the the new arrivals? Also, do you download the articles and cache them, or read them on the server only?

That was 3 questions :-)

From the header I notice that your mailer/browser reports you running WinNT:

Sadly, I cannot be 100% sure about the location, but under My Documents / My Applications you will probably find your mozilla / netscape folder (or maybe under the Program Files directory as a last resort, this location is where the executable program files are kept). If you go through the subfolders (usually your personal one will be under Default and/or some random digit/character sequence names) until you get to Mail folder, you will be able to see a number of files and subfolders containing your mail. Each folder that you have in Netscape's mail view should have at least one file (two: one for the mail, and one for housekeeping, ostensibly) and maybe there are a few subdirectories also.

In any event, using a normal text editor, open one of these mail files and look at it: it should contain the entire mail (in uncompressed format) for the corresponding Netscape mail view folder. Choose a small one or else the simplest and crappiest editor (Notepad) will barf. You can see if the headers AND body are there safely. That is the most important part. After that, it is a matter of settings in Netscape somewhere. But if Netscape is not downloading the body at all, then you have problems that cannot be corrected by simple settings! No mail program should download ONLY headers, no matter what you tell it (unless you keep the original mail on the server) -- that would be losing data :-)

Good luck, and see if you can't upgrade to a newer version of Netscape, less buggy, less security flaws, better rendering engine and a lot faster: Sea Monkey is the new open source project that took over after Netscape 7.12, or else use the last iteration of Netscape (7.12).

Cheers, Gernot

-- Gernot Hassenpflug ( snipped-for-privacy@rish.kyoto-u.ac.jp) Tel: +81 774 38-3866 JSPS Fellow (Rm.403, RISH, Kyoto Uni.) Fax: +81 774 31-8463

Mob: +81 90 39493924

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

Gernot:

Curious! I upgraded from Windows NT to Windows XP. Looks like maybe the upgrade isn't completely correct.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Hehe, more like it isn' _complete_. When Netscape 4.7 came out, Windows XP did not exist!

Cheers, Gernot

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

i'mstill using 98se. some of my music software isn't xp able. as long as all my toys work, i can resist ums. (upgrade mania syndrome, where you just HAVE to have the newest.) like bolting every accessory possible on you motorcycle. rufus had c*ms.......chrome upgrade mania syndrome. but in all fairness, his bikes are sharp!

Doesn't XP use NTFS (NT File System...as opposed to Win98's fat32/vfat file system)? If so, you could be running XP, but still be "recognized" as a generic NTFS system.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

it can use either file system and you can convert them.

try newsx instead of xnews! it's tiny, take 3 minutes to learn and does everything. just google nx201.zip and go! it's about 600k. i can help you configure it in 1 minute.

Know what'cha mean. I was quite happy with 3.0. Screen was fairly clean and uncluttered. Outlook was just too crapped up with junk and I didn't like Xnews either. I told the kid that if he didn't get Netscape functional I was shoving the online biz. The sad fact seems to be that

3.0 won't work with Win98 and I needed that to get online.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

"If it works, don't throw it out"

Reply to
Mad-Modeller