looking for advice slightly O.T.

Hi Troops:

My ISP has become steadily less and less satisfactory in recent months. First, I have dial-up and they do not have anything faster available in my area. Nest, the e-mail server has been down about two days a week for the last few weeks, time to move. Verizon is my telephone provider in this area (Baltimore) and they are plugging their DSL service for internet service. Anybody out there have any experience with Verizon DSL???

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

My sister in law in Pittsburgh has Verizon DSL and loves it. She is into that chatroom scene and she gets enough speed to even use the voice over IP in the chat area. No real problems or down time of any note..

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Bill - Have it, love it and if you get it, you should qualify for a better rate as you also have them for telephone. That's the package that I have. The only thing that I haven't found on Verizon.net as yet has been Newgroup binaries. Between the modeling binaries and the aircraft that I used to subscribe to on AoL (before they dropped them and I dropped AoL), that appears to be the only thing that I'm missing out on. DSL is great, with a 50K dial-up modum I used to be able to log onto a website and make a cup of coffee while I was waiting for it to load; no more, I have to have my coffee ready before I log on! Regards - John

Reply to
The Old Man

7 years. for you the 20 buck a month should be just fine. you'll never look back and even be happy. i need more speed, so i have the 3 mpsdown 768k up. the alternative here it roadrunner.......i'd rather be dead.

news.verizon.net on your newsreader will get it. for binaries they are not good. for text, fine.

I would advise against the lower-price option, as I have heard several of my friends and coworkers complain about it. I have the higher-speed option and it works fine for me.

One serious word of warning however - you will get LOTS of spam even if you don't give out your email address to anyone "commercial." I ONLY use my Verizon address for family/friends and I get dozens of spams every single day. Many get snagged in the filter but a LOT slip through. They're usually the "nonsense words" variety, i.e. strings of legitimate words that make absolutely no sense together.

M. J. Rudy

AT hotmail DOT com

Reply to
M. J. Rudy

the opposite of that is here re the low speed and spam. must be a geographic thins, so ymmv. i average 2 spams per day, caught by my external proggie.

M.J., I get a lot of them now so that won't be any different.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

APN is very inexpensive and features great retention.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Yes, it was very good here and I haven't heard of any change. The only reason I'm not still on it is that the kids moved out and I lost my free ride. All I have now is the e-mail account. Otherwise I'm plugging along on dial-up here.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

verizon HAS a news server. three words get you on

news.verizon.net

I used Verizon for almost a year before I moved and switched to Comcast cable. I was quite satisfied with it and it was very reliable. I'd had AOL's broadband before that and it was not very good, slow and not very reliable. I would recommend it over anything but cable.

Reply to
Bill Woodier