English Electric P.42 proposal??

I recently stumbled upon this a/c at a site,

IIRC. It looks like a cross between a MiG-25 & an Avro Arrow. Bad looking MF! Anyway, I looked in both the "British Secret Projects" books on fighters & jet bombers to no avail. I assumed it was an interceptor & didn't find it there so I looked in the bombers book. Was it a recon a/c or what? I did a Google & the only thing I find is back at that site. Was it even a real proposal? I'd like to find out more info if it's out there. Thanks.

Reply to
frank

Acording to the Putnams book on English Electric, the P42 was to have been a hypersonic research aircraft. The book gives no other information.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

Frank,

some info on this and other related designs is on this site:

There is an illustration in a German book that also shows a variant of this design as the carrier aircraft for a small orbital launch vehicle.

Mart> I recently stumbled upon this a/c at a site,

100450.3563

Thanks! Very informative! The version I've seen are the Scheme 4 version. Scheme 2 is quite sexy, tho!

Reply to
frank