slightly O/T. Computer question

Hi Troops:

I am having some small glitches with my computer and I suspect they are due to small bits of previously removed programs remaining in the registry. I was in Office Depot yesterday and noticed a couple of programs for supposedly servicing Windows and cleaning up registry problems. Has anyone on here ever had occasion to use such a program or have any experience with them?

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Bill, Yes, I have. Most of them work well, the only caveat being that they (generally) need to be installed before you start installing/removing other programs - this is to enable them to see what is going where, so that they can make sure that all the bits of the other programs are removed correctly. So, this may not help you at this time.

I assume you're using one of Windows many variatons? Windows is a real bugger for dropping bits of code anywhere and everywhere and then conveniently forgetting to remove them, even in its latest XP variation (and I actually don't mind XP - my system has been very stable since I started using it). I have developed the habit of backing-up everything I need to save that I don't have copies of (documents, pix, downloaded programs etc) then nukeing the HDD every so often and re-installing everything clean - this is a hang-over from the bad old Win98 days (c: I used to need to do it every 6 months or so with 98, but XP seems to be a bit better at housekeeping. It's coming due though.

If you have the skill and time, then vape the HDD and start anew - bestest way. If you want to use one of those programs, then do a bit of research - the software may have developed to the point where it can clean bits of code up without needing to know where it came from. Start with the publisher's websites and go from there.

Best of luck

RobG (The Aussie One)

Reply to
RobG

google up yourself a freebie. i use fix-it tools, but that was a xmas present. there are many free programs. just be carefull, rtfm and ask if you're not sure.

I would highly recommend the Spy Sweeper / Windows Washer combination. You can usually get them at BestBuy or CompUSA for around $10 after the usual rebates. These two, used together, will make a major difference in your computers performance and really clean up your registry and all those fragments from deleted programs or internet activity.

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Try Registry Mechanic. You can check it out at

It's recommended by Kim Komando. She has a nationally syndicated computer call-in show on radio.

Ed R.

William H. Shuey wrote:

Reply to
robbelothe

"William H. Shuey" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@starpower.net:

FWIW. I'm a gear head from way back. Always carried the Norton Utilities with me. have the most recent version on my WinXP. Windoctor generally does a pretty decent job, plus the other utilities (maintenance and security utilities) are pretty decent.

A little pricy in some combos but there are several mix and match packages. Got to Symantec.com and have a look. You can buy it online and download immediately. That's how I do it (I do upgrades this way.)

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

William H. Shuey wrote: : : I am having some small glitches with my computer and I suspect they are : due to small bits of previously removed programs remaining in the : registry. : I find that FORMAT C: is an excellent tool for removing the windows virus and all of the remora that lodge within the main windows virus. :-)

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

All such programs have a nasty habit of removing shared DLL files along with unwanted entries and crashing the PC.

My personal experience suggests the slight gain in PC performance is not worth the drastic loss of reliability and data which often ensues.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Reply to
Ron Smith

I have Registry Mechanic and it works well.

Cheers Ultan

Reply to
Ultan Rooney

snipped-for-privacy@realtime.net (Bruce Burden) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews1.newsguy.com:

GO THE PENGUIN!!

RobG (The Aussie One)

Reply to
RobG

I'd have to agree with that. While you're at it, devide the harddisk into at least two partitions, one for programs, one for data, and when reinstalling the lot, make sure the default paths to all sorts of data point to the data partition. Makes it so much easier to do a wipe and rebuild next time round.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

I've been using PCs heavily from DOS 1.0 onwards and have encountered that problem only one time. Along the years I've used multiple types of tools for registry cleanups and have always liked the Norton tools the best.

Many of the so-called Windows registry problems are actually from programs that are not fully Windows-compatible, which covers a lot of shareware-type programs. Many program installers are buggy and will leave you with multiple DLL handles in the registry, and some will install earlier versions of a DLL. You can back up DLLs and the registry files prior to doing a registry cleanup if you are worried about DLL issues. You can also go in and edit the registry files yourself if you know what you are doing.

John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com)

Reply to
guardian6

-snip-

-snip-

Problem with that, Bruce, is then you want to install that Mac Virus, with it's heaping helping of Macitude & it's Secret crashes & it's secret viruses & all the secret stuff the Apple Gestapo doesn't want anyone to know about their over-rated, over priced toybox.

*smirk*

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin M. Vernon

Wise Guy!! I take it you are not using Windows!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Are you by chance a microshaft shareholder?

After getting rid of the windows virus, you then have ample space to install a perfectly able OS - any of the Linux distros will do.

RobG (The Aussie One)

Reply to
RobG

yeah, yeah and you wear a belt and suspenders. on your socks. some people just don't care for all the kernel junk and somewhat arcane structure. make the install seamless with hardware alterations automatically fixed and make ALL the music, video and odd apps i use 100% compatible with zero effort on my part without having to recompile every time i make a change and maybe....... this is strictly fun for me, i have zero business or work garbage on my pc's. linux is not fun. and it's funny looking. i leaned pc's in 1990, a real latecomer. but i stayed up all night to study.

RobG wrote: : : GO THE PENGUIN!! : Yeah... Been there, didn't like it. Don't see what the hype is about.

Now, if Apple manages to make the correct decision, I'd be happy to dump both the penguin and windoze from my laptop and install o'sucks on it. Whether the sky capitan can make that decision, however, remains to be seen. After all, he screwed up 20 years ago when he make Macs completely closed...

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

William H. Shuey wrote: : : Wise Guy!! I take it you are not using Windows! : Unfortunately, the company I work for insists that I work with one. The sorry fact is, the work I do on the PC is for a OS that makes windoze a cake walk.

And, I left it on my laptop. There are times that I need exploder to view a site (damn front page script kiddies!) or be home from working. Errr, WORKing from HOME. Yeah, that what I mean. And working on documents with - gack, word.

Really, my biggest complaint with windoze is the constant "ability to innovate" that comes from Redmond. If only they would...

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Go to

and if you're drinking a carbonated beverage, but it down. That stuff really burns going through the nose!

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni