slightly O/T. Computer question

i heard mac is going to use intel pentiums. any truth?

Their CPUs aren't called "Pentiums," but several Intel-powered Macs laptops and desktops have been available for about a month.

Charles Metz

Reply to
Charles Metz

Now I have a Word question. I'm working on an index and the program seems to have a cow about the spelling of some people's names. They don't show on printouts but on the screen I have a gazillion irritating underlines. Is there a switch to kill that?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

but they use the 086 architecture?

No; this chips are actually pretty much like Pentiums and will run both Windows and the latest version of Macintosh OS X in native mode (i.e., without emulation), though not simultaneously. Most Intel-powered Macs come with dual-core CPUs (essentially two CPUs on one chip), but a few of the entry-level machines have only single CPUs.

Charlie

Reply to
Charles Metz

No; Mac Intel chips are actually pretty much like Pentiums and will run both Windows and the latest version of Macintosh OS X in native mode (i.e., without emulation), though not simultaneously. Most Intel-powered Macs come with dual-core CPUs (essentially two CPUs on one chip), but a few of the entry-level machines have only single CPUs.

Charles Metz

Reply to
Charles Metz

Since Word or any other document program does not know the difference between a name and a misspelled word, only that the string of 0s and 1s doesn't match a string of 0s and 1s in their dictionary, there is only one way to eliminate the underlines. Uncheck the 'check spelling as I type', or some such option in tools. I had MS Word, but don't anymore, so I can't look it up. In Wordperfect, it is called "Spell as you go" under Tools - Proofread. This will eliminate all underlines on all misspelled words or names in the document as you type, but they will show up if you use the check spelling or when you close the document and are told there are misspelled words.

Reply to
willshak

Or... del c:\word That'll switch it off permanantly. (c:

The other option is to add the names to the dictionary - don't ask me how, I don't use Word. But I'm sure it can be done - most real word processors.... oh, hang on a sec.. Anyway, it may or may not be able to be done - have a look in the help file. A bit of a bugger though if you only use the names once.

RobG (The Aussie One)

Reply to
RobG

Yes. The latest 'Core Duo' chips.

Reply to
Harro de Jong

Mad-Modeller wrote: [snipped]

You could always add the names to your very own dictionary!

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Bill,

I'm using Office 2003 but I suppose it will work on an older version as well. Go to the TOOLS button on your menu at the top of the Word document. Select OPTIONS (at the bottom of the drop down menu). Select the SPELLING & GRAMMAR tab. Uncheck the CHECK SPELLING AS YOU TYPE. That should do it.

Ed R.

Reply to
robbelothe

It is possible as I had to go through all this routine with plant names when writing articles for a garden planning CD-ROM. It saved the boss lots of time checking other works that were sent to him.

Heh! There might even be a scale models dictionary.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

pentiums are the 086 series, i have read. a logical progression that stated with a 44 mhz chip/

thanks, i knew it was. the only non 086 intel makes are for other controls, i believe.

from MS Online help....

You can show or hide the wavy underlines that appear when you automatically check spelling and grammar, or when you automatically check formatting consistency.

Spelling and grammar

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Spelling & Grammar tab. Make sure the Check spelling as you type and/or Check grammar as you type check boxes are selected. Select or clear the Hide spelling errors in this document or Hide grammatical errors in this document check box. Formatting consistency

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Edit tab. Select or clear the Mark formatting inconsistencies check box.

Reply to
Jeff_from_Canada

Thanks, everybody. I saved your ideas and will give them a try when I get back to the index.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

why he "bought" dos 86. wanna meet the lawyers to prove it?

Buy? I was told that he illicitly obtained said OS. Probably why he's so big on security for his programs - not operational security, but copying security. I just love those little messages incorporated in Scandisc. If the d--n system had let me close it down correctly I wouldn't be seeing this! Makes one want to reach for a hammer.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Bruce, is the "all-powerful" fdisk still part of the inner workings of Windows? Or a Windows equivalent of something along the lines of "rm -rf /*"; which will certainly remove any and all nasties on a Windows partition?

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

kiddies!) or be home from working. Errr, WORKing from HOME.

In all honesty...take the plunge and learn TeX/LaTeX. A steep learning curve, at first...but once you get the hang of it, you will ask "Why would *anyone* ever want to use a word processor program?!".

And it is really fun to dive into it, and learn it.

Reply to
Greg Heilers