slightly O/T. Computer question

e wrote: [SNIP]

Weird, I can't recall seeing the '186 in anything other than instrument controllers, terminal concentrators, muxes and the like, out here in Oz. But, as I said, I didn't enter the peecee world until about 1986. I can remember using 4004s and 8008s as micro-controllers in various things, but the world of peecees and DOS was quite a shock.

I managed to lose all of my stuff from the 80s and earlier, thankfully. I mean, who has a 9-track tape drive these days, and as for an 8-inch floppy?!?!?!?! I still have a couple of 5-1/4 inch drives in the junk box, and a bus-mouse and card. Far too many 2400bps modems, and 14.4K and a couple of 33Ks and a couple of 56Ks. And a 33MHz '486, as well as a 133MHz '486 (either Cyrix or AMD, can't recall (probably neither)). And sound cards... And EGA/VGA graphics cards...

One day I'll throw the lot out - probably to make space for the junk in the current generation of boxes. :->

Cheers, Gary B-)

Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt

i have an amd 486-120 that smoked the first pentiums. all the way up to the p-133. i still have a dual 5 1/4-3 1/2 floppy for old games. i got rid of most of the daughter boards in 2000, i sold them to a guy starting a repair biz. kinda felt guilty for taking his money, but he refused to learn. didn't last long. the 186 ran ok, it would do 16 nit functions then run on an

8 bit bus. it may have been as fast as 12mhz. i remember putting a 2 meg ram card in it. i had kind of an elaborate boot sequence because of my diagnostic software. coolset software was the directory sorter micheal mefford had. cooledit? i have it on a floppy somewhere. i still love hardware, hate software problems. but i will NEVER do pc's for money again.