slightly OT (computer problem)

I asking this here because I've found there is a considerable body of basic computer user experience here. A friend who also uses Netscape has suddenly found that he can receive e-mail but cannot send. Every time he clicks on the send button, his computer disconnects from his service provider. It happens whether he is creating a new message or trying to respond to one he has received. Is this some kind of gimmick caused by a virus or has he got a setting screwed up??

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Who is he using for an email provider? And could they have changed the name of their outgoing server? Many isps use servers named something like "pop.this_isp.net" (incoming) and "smtp.this_isp.net" (outgoing). Others might use the same name, such as "mail.that_isp.com" for both incoming and outgoing. Have your friend check these settings first; and make sure they are still valid for his email provider.

--

Greg Heilers Registered Linux user #328317 - SlackWare 10.0

The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/XP/NT, or better." So, I installed LINUX!

Reply to
Greg Heilers