[Sort of OT] Do trees grow up?

I mean, the trunk part.

Just put of a clothesling and the far end is attached to an eyehook in the trunk of a medium-sized maple. As the tree grows, will the hook move upwards, resulting in us needing a longer line?

Reply to
jt

No, but it will "grow" inward. You'll have to unscrew it to keep from losing it.

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957

You will need a shorter line over time as the tree grows out, and you will also need to move the hook so the bark does not over-grow it. The tree will grow upwards only from the ends of he shoot branches, and not from the trunk.

/v

Reply to
Nunya Bidness

Now that's INTERESTING...

I Learn something new every day on this ng...

Happy New Year,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Reply to
Roy J

Nunya Bidness wrote: You will need a shorter line over time as the tree grows out,(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^ That's not what John Martin said (above), and I think he is right. The tree does grow outward, decreasing the distance to the other end of the clothes line. However, it does this by adding growth rings on top of the old diameter, slowly submerging the hook. That is why John says you would have to keep unscrewing the hook to keep from losing it inside the tree.

I suppose, if your clothes line were made of wire, you could eventually wind up with the line just disappearing into the tree. Cool. Wouldn't THAT puzzle the next generation?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Not being critical, just asking curious questions. If tree trunks don't grow upward, then how did that wagon axle in the tree down the road a ways from here get 15 feet or more up in the air? Looks like it was propped up in the fork of a limb and traveled upward with the tree growth. About a quarter of it has been encased by the tree. I live on a Civil War battlefield, and a guy years ago supposedly found a long gun overhead encased in a large tree when he sat under it to take a break. Just happened to look straight up the trunk with his head tilted back against it. I have also found old fence wire embedded 6 inches in trunks no more than 4 feet up. With 23,000 fighting here, I bet there's a lot of lead buried in the trees around here. I have found a couple of bullets just while I was walking across the yard.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Trees do indeed only grow upwards from the new growth at their tips. If you can climb the lower branches as a kid,you can climb the same lower branches as a adult. If the trunks grew upward it would save me a lot of time pruning the lower branches(or I would just wait for them to grow above 'head level' :) Maybe a sniper left his rifle high up in the tree. Bead_runner

Reply to
Bead Runner

If that axle was fifteen feet up that was where it started from. Possibly blown there. Trees do not 'grow' vertically from the trunk. They increase height only with 'leader' growth. Regards. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

It has puzzled many a tourist. It's an old wood carver's trick to drill penny-sized holes an inch deep in a young tree and insert a penny in each. Allow a few years growth, then cut the tree down and cut blocks of wood with the now entrapped pennies out. Carve them into interesting shapes or amusing figures with holes through which the penny can be seen but not extracted. Lots of people are bemused about how the carver got the penny in there.

Reply to
John Ings

I can step outside my back door and take pics of several wires that are coming out of the tree there. But they where not on a screw eye but rather wrapped around the tree. The tree has completely swallowed the wrapped portion. They where the guy wires for the antenna (currently bent over from a guy wire snapping on the other side). Since these particular wires didn't need to be removed before letting the tower down they never got moved and eventually grew into the tree. By the time I moved back here (it was my grandparents house) it was to late to remove them.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

That's why loggers and sawyers hate residential trees

Steve

Reply to
Steve Austin

I have Coastal Redwoods that many are 150' or to some 50m tall. Some are an arm reach from the house and this is what they do:

  1. grow about 1 foot when a heavy mist is here.
  2. expand wider and wider to support the ever higher the top is.
  3. some, not all, rotate as they move skywards. This one drives me nuts. I have some next to the deck. The limbs swing an arc as they rise through the years. Sometimes it is good, moving away, sometimes it gets in our faces for a while.

Mart> Wayne Cook wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn