critical upgrade that comes from M$ Corporation

Hi, I think that this is an attempt to get a virus onto systems, if anyone get an E-mail supposedly from Microsoft Technical then delete it
as the attachment carries a virus. It looks real but isnt.
regards Moggie.Minor

I can confirm that there is someone out on the internet really trying to spoof alot of people right now, in an attempt to make them install an attached file.
I can also confirm that M$ don't send out any such files with attachments, and that the referred 'September 2003, Cumulative Patch' doesn't in fact exist. On no accounts run any attachment to an email that purports to be from Microsoft, no matter how convincing the email may look. M$ know about it, but due to the sheer weight of emails of this type that have 'suddenly' appeared, can do little to stop it.
It may be that most consumers won't receive such emails, however, businesses, particularly computer related businesses, may find themselves getting hit hard. They should know what they're doing, but for those that don't, just be extra cautious around any email with an attachment, even if it is from a trusted source, as sometimes they get hit and don't know it.
Regards,
Ian J.

It looks real but isn't.....you sure about that??? Looks more like a balls-up at Microsoft......I've had about 20-30 tonight alone and none contained a virus whatsoever. In fact, you can reply to Microsoft who will return your E-mail.....
Regards,
Colin.

Yes, yes, yes - it is very real. Please read (and/or any bulletin page provided by your anti-virus software vendor):
Then check your system.

M$ for all their faults (and there are thousands) never put out mailings like this.

The worm is in the attachment, I notice that like me you use M$ outhouse as a mail client, if you haven't kept the patches up to date or have the security settings set on anything but "secure" if you've downloaded just one of these mails your machine could be infected.

If you hit the "reply" button your mail will *not* go to M$.
I recommend that everyone ensures that both their firewalls and most importantly their anti-virus software.
Additionally if you can afford a few dollars get yourself "Mailwasher" http://www.firetrust.com/home/ - I've used it since it was a free beta and have kept it up to date. It saves an awful lot of anguish.
FWIW since this latest attack started last night (or at least got round to me) in excess of 2,000 attacks have been made either directly to me or mail lists/groups/aliases that I manage.
--

All the best,

Chris Wilson
Colin wrote

It is indeed a virus. Norton issued a new virus definition file yesterday. Please don't open any and run the attached file (106kB) as we will then all have more and more virus e-mails.
And no, they are not from Microsoft. Have a look at http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/ snipped-for-privacy@mm.html
--
Faithfully
Erik Olsen

message

And If your going to use AD Aware, Please please don't bounce any mail that only makes the matter worse.
G'day, Is Colin trying to push people to open these?????? Why would he want you to open them and to reply to them????? Graeme Hearn

Colin isn't telling anybody to open anything......I'm just pointing out that I have opened several and contacted Microsoft and received a reply.....my PC is fine.
If it really is a virus then I can only put it down to certain sensible precautionary measures.
Do NOT open any programme which you may be unsure about but get the necessary PC protection before operating.
Regards,
Colin.

Colin, Perhaps you should have a good look here.
<http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virus.aspx?ID6939
How do you know your replies came from microsoft? Did you check the header details? Because the from and reply to addresses on the ones I have recieved will certainly not send any reply back to microsoft. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit <http://www.grovenor.dsl.pipex.com/ Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

you
that
The reply, which I unfortunately didn't keep, was identified by person and company code/ID.
Some messages could not be returned but the majority were unable to be delivered, etc.
I can only repeat that my PC is fine and showing no problems whatsoever but the update information appears to be continuous.
I can only suggest that those affected by the virus have not used anti-virus protection....perhaps they should also consider using ZA (Pro) and/or a programme not too dissimilar to Firetrust "Benign".
Regards,
Colin.

reply.....my
but
anti-virus
Sorry!! It should have said that the majority were *ABLE* to be delivered. Colin.

You originally said you had opened the files and your PC is fine, since you have all this protection I take it you did not open the attachments at all but just the email. Its the attachments that cause the problem and which people are being warned against. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit <http://www.grovenor.dsl.pipex.com/ Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

and
but
anti-virus
Keith,
Possibly, because of the protection on my system, the malicious parts of the attachments were destroyed as soon as they were detected before opening.
I can open files in safety which is due to the protection system I use....any and/or all harmful parts of files are literally stripped and made safe.
Regards,
Colin.

So, given that, was it really sensible to advise others that it was perfectly OK to open those files?
Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit <http://www.grovenor.dsl.pipex.com/ Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

the
made
So where *exactly* do I tell and/or advise others to open potential virus files in their system(s).....?? Some say it's a virus, some say it's a hoax.....the sensibility is with the individual, if they are stupid enough to open a file(s) which are harmful, etc.....if in doubt then delete!!!
I have suggested that those who would rather avoid such problems should avail themselves of the necessary protection for their respective system(s).
It was perfectly O.K. for me to act as I did because of the protection-installed system which I use....O.K. because the harmful part(s) were stripped before opening E-mail and/or file.
I'm sorry if I'm not making myself understood and/or if certain people fail to comprehend what I'm saying but I also find some pedantic people and/or potential problems are not really worth pandering to beyond the simple explanation(s) given.....
Regards,
Colin.

Try: It looks real but isn't.....you sure about that??? Looks more like a balls-up at Microsoft......I've had about 20-30 tonight alone and none contained a virus whatsoever. In fact, you can reply to Microsoft who will return your E-mail.....
Regards,
Colin.
In the context that you were responding to you were telling people it was harmless. I agree you did not use the words 'open it' but you implied that it was harmless.

Yes you did, later. Cheers Keith
Make friends in the hobby. Visit <http://www.grovenor.dsl.pipex.com/ Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

enough
system(s).
1st line..... I asked for assurity. 2nd line.....It wouldn't be the first time that numerous repeat e-mails have been sent-out. NONE of the respective E-mails which I received PROVED to contain a virus!!! To reply to MICROSOFT direct does NOT advise ANYBODY on this earth to actively and/or physically open any suspicious and/or potentially dangerous and/or malicious E-mail.
I, personally, sent an E-mail to Microsoft and a reply was received which gave a name and ID.
Yes you did, later.....???? Yes you did, later...WHAT ???
This is *uk.rec.models.rail* isn't it??
Regards,
Colin.

enough
system(s).
were NOT my words but were the last five words from the original message.....
Colin.

IOW you suggested, well more than suggested that,
1/ The mails were coming from M$ (they aren't - nor do M$ despite its many faults mail people in this way)
2/ That none contained a virus - half marks for this one, it's a worm not a virus, nevertheless your comment reads as though it is safe to open - which of course it isn't and ...
3/ You wrote to somebody believing them to be M$ and were happy when they put you on their "email accounts that work" list in order to target you for further attacks.
I'm newly returned to the hobby of running and building model railways so of course I whilst being more than willing to offer a suggestion now and again I wouldn't for a moment offer advice on a subject I clearly know little about. I recommend this approach to others ...
--

All the best,

Chris Wilson