critical upgrade that comes from M$ Corporation

Hi, I think that this is an attempt to get a virus onto systems, if anyone get an E-mail supposedly from Microsoft Technical then delete it as the attachment carries a virus. It looks real but isnt.

regards Moggie.Minor

Reply to
john

I can confirm that there is someone out on the internet really trying to spoof alot of people right now, in an attempt to make them install an attached file.

I can also confirm that M$ don't send out any such files with attachments, and that the referred 'September 2003, Cumulative Patch' doesn't in fact exist. On no accounts run any attachment to an email that purports to be from Microsoft, no matter how convincing the email may look. M$ know about it, but due to the sheer weight of emails of this type that have 'suddenly' appeared, can do little to stop it.

It may be that most consumers won't receive such emails, however, businesses, particularly computer related businesses, may find themselves getting hit hard. They should know what they're doing, but for those that don't, just be extra cautious around any email with an attachment, even if it is from a trusted source, as sometimes they get hit and don't know it.

Regards,

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

It looks real but isn't.....you sure about that??? Looks more like a balls-up at Microsoft......I've had about 20-30 tonight alone and none contained a virus whatsoever. In fact, you can reply to Microsoft who will return your E-mail.....

Regards,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

Yes, yes, yes - it is very real. Please read (and/or any bulletin page provided by your anti-virus software vendor):

Then check your system.

M$ for all their faults (and there are thousands) never put out mailings like this.

The worm is in the attachment, I notice that like me you use M$ outhouse as a mail client, if you haven't kept the patches up to date or have the security settings set on anything but "secure" if you've downloaded just one of these mails your machine could be infected.

If you hit the "reply" button your mail will *not* go to M$.

I recommend that everyone ensures that both their firewalls and most importantly their anti-virus software.

Additionally if you can afford a few dollars get yourself "Mailwasher"

- I've used it since it was a free beta and have kept it up to date. It saves an awful lot of anguish.

FWIW since this latest attack started last night (or at least got round to me) in excess of 2,000 attacks have been made either directly to me or mail lists/groups/aliases that I manage.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Colin wrote

It is indeed a virus. Norton issued a new virus definition file yesterday. Please don't open any and run the attached file (106kB) as we will then all have more and more virus e-mails.

And no, they are not from Microsoft. Have a look at

snipped-for-privacy@mm.html

Reply to
Erik Olsen

HI

It's a virus. It's not a new idea, but actually it is a new virus. Get a virus checker installed on your system, run

as frequently as you can remember (I do it daily on the systems I manage at work), and try some form of software such as Ad-Aware to stop nasty web pages.

Companies and consumers are receiving it. Email addresses are gotten normally either from websites, lucky guesses, or posts like this one to UseNet.

I strongly suggest using a dummy email address in your postings to newsgroups and websites that humans can understand but machines can't. Inserting some phrase such as 'nospam' into your normal email (configured in Outlook Express, Tools, Accounts) will prevent any spammer, but will let us normal humans contact you if necessary.

Regards

Reply to
Michael & Louise Wonham

And If your going to use AD Aware, Please please don't bounce any mail that only makes the matter worse.

Reply to
Trev

Reply to
Graeme Hearn

If this is a virus then it has caused me no problems whatsoever. I will concede that I use certain programmes, NOT Norton, and perhaps between them have prevented any such virus as has been suggested......I did contact Microsoft and received a reply to which I replied.....no problems.

Must have had about 30 or so now though....let the idiots (if that's the case) keep trying....it's just boring now.

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

Colin isn't telling anybody to open anything......I'm just pointing out that I have opened several and contacted Microsoft and received a reply.....my PC is fine.

If it really is a virus then I can only put it down to certain sensible precautionary measures.

Do NOT open any programme which you may be unsure about but get the necessary PC protection before operating.

Regards,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

"Colin" wrote

Lucky you! 380 in my case! :-/

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Suppose that's going from one end of the spectrum to the other??

Regards,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

Looks OK ... but I'm currently running Spam Assassin and Spam Box on the server and then MailWasher on my PC to check the mail before I download and that's all before the firewall and virus checker get to have a crack so I'm pretty secure.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Colin, Perhaps you should have a good look here.

How do you know your replies came from microsoft? Did you check the header details? Because the from and reply to addresses on the ones I have recieved will certainly not send any reply back to microsoft. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Just to say:- Never accept any email downloads addressed as if from Microsoft, or have content intimating that they are from Microsoft

It is, and always has been, an absolute Microsoft policy not to send out any files by email.

Any Microsoft update files are either automatically notified on your PC, if you have Critical Update running, or via link on the Microsoft Windows Update download site.

Reply to
Another One Bites The Dust

The reply, which I unfortunately didn't keep, was identified by person and company code/ID.

Some messages could not be returned but the majority were unable to be delivered, etc.

I can only repeat that my PC is fine and showing no problems whatsoever but the update information appears to be continuous.

I can only suggest that those affected by the virus have not used anti-virus protection....perhaps they should also consider using ZA (Pro) and/or a programme not too dissimilar to Firetrust "Benign".

Regards,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

reply.....my

Sorry!! It should have said that the majority were *ABLE* to be delivered. Colin.

Reply to
Colin

You originally said you had opened the files and your PC is fine, since you have all this protection I take it you did not open the attachments at all but just the email. Its the attachments that cause the problem and which people are being warned against. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

You can wear the unofficial 'Potty Mouth' badge for a week now. (I've had my go..) :)

Pete

Reply to
mutley

Keith,

Possibly, because of the protection on my system, the malicious parts of the attachments were destroyed as soon as they were detected before opening.

I can open files in safety which is due to the protection system I use....any and/or all harmful parts of files are literally stripped and made safe.

Regards,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin