critical upgrade that comes from M$ Corporation

ROTFLM*cough*O

Reply to
Chris Wilson

So, given that, was it really sensible to advise others that it was perfectly OK to open those files?

Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Colin. Take a look at

(mind any line wrapping). To give you an idea that you are playing with fire, and other people are ones who will bet burnt, I'll quote just one sentence,

"The worm switches off any anti-virus or firewall software and mails itself to addresses it finds on the victim's computer." .

So your AV and / or FW didn't find any problems then, are you sure they were running, and operative, at the time ?...

It is people like you who think just because they have the latest AV / FW updates etc. and are thus immune that this sort of worm / virus spreads, the writers are exploiting / your / stupidity.

You are as bad as the people who say, 'Oh I don't get viruses, I only open email's and their attachments from people I know' ! F*ckwits all of you :~(

Reply to
Jerry.
[...]

[...]

Get yourself a copy of MailWasher (it's free) - you can then screen your emails BEFORE you download them.

Reply to
Tessy

So where *exactly* do I tell and/or advise others to open potential virus files in their system(s).....?? Some say it's a virus, some say it's a hoax.....the sensibility is with the individual, if they are stupid enough to open a file(s) which are harmful, etc.....if in doubt then delete!!!

I have suggested that those who would rather avoid such problems should avail themselves of the necessary protection for their respective system(s).

It was perfectly O.K. for me to act as I did because of the protection-installed system which I use....O.K. because the harmful part(s) were stripped before opening E-mail and/or file.

I'm sorry if I'm not making myself understood and/or if certain people fail to comprehend what I'm saying but I also find some pedantic people and/or potential problems are not really worth pandering to beyond the simple explanation(s) given.....

Regards,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

Try: It looks real but isn't.....you sure about that??? Looks more like a balls-up at Microsoft......I've had about 20-30 tonight alone and none contained a virus whatsoever. In fact, you can reply to Microsoft who will return your E-mail.....

Regards,

Colin.

In the context that you were responding to you were telling people it was harmless. I agree you did not use the words 'open it' but you implied that it was harmless.

Yes you did, later. Cheers Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

-------------------

Earlier (3 mins past midnight on the 20th) you pronounced to the world thusly ...

IOW you suggested, well more than suggested that,

1/ The mails were coming from M$ (they aren't - nor do M$ despite its many faults mail people in this way)

2/ That none contained a virus - half marks for this one, it's a worm not a virus, nevertheless your comment reads as though it is safe to open - which of course it isn't and ...

3/ You wrote to somebody believing them to be M$ and were happy when they put you on their "email accounts that work" list in order to target you for further attacks.

I'm newly returned to the hobby of running and building model railways so of course I whilst being more than willing to offer a suggestion now and again I wouldn't for a moment offer advice on a subject I clearly know little about. I recommend this approach to others ...

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , Colin writes

I use Turnpike. I open mails and nothing gets executed. There's no protection system, no nothing.

If I select "view raw message text" I can see exactly what comes in to my system.

Please stop arguing. The fact that you are using a broken mail/news reader is irrelevant. Get something decent (i.e. not Micro$$$oft Oulook (Express) (a.k.a. Outhouse Excess) and you won't have any more problems.

Remember, Micro$$oft is only interested in the $$$.

Reply to
John Sullivan

I've managed to get away with none so far, but I've blocked snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com anyway. I'm still getting lots of Klez emails though, and although I know exactly who they're coming from (their ISP's SMTP server seems to insert their real email address into headers) the person in question is making no effort to eradicate it from their PC >:(

--

***
*** Updated 18 September, now 533 images online. Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)

1st line..... I asked for assurity. 2nd line.....It wouldn't be the first time that numerous repeat e-mails have been sent-out. NONE of the respective E-mails which I received PROVED to contain a virus!!! To reply to MICROSOFT direct does NOT advise ANYBODY on this earth to actively and/or physically open any suspicious and/or potentially dangerous and/or malicious E-mail.

I, personally, sent an E-mail to Microsoft and a reply was received which gave a name and ID.

Yes you did, later.....???? Yes you did, later...WHAT ???

This is *uk.rec.models.rail* isn't it??

Regards,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

were NOT my words but were the last five words from the original message.....

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

And which operating system do you use? Windows per chance?

Reply to
Fred

So far, my ISP has let through ONE, and it was detected by ZoneAlarm and McAfee Virus Scan

Reply to
MartinS

You have probably had many answers to your post above, but....

No, Colin, they are not FROM Microsoft, but the links DO take you to a 'real' Microsoft Webpage - and why not? They have nothing to lose by doing this, as you still get infected whether you decide to select the links or not!

Microsoft would not send you an attachment - they would send you a link to their Website location where the whole update file can be downloaded from!

What was the content of the 'reply' you got from Microsoft? Was it an Autoresponder message, in which case the sender of this virus has achieved his objective - making it seem 'real' enough for you to believe it, with the help of MS themselves!

The main objective of this rash of virus-infected messages is well documented at Symantec.com - to clog up our Email Inboxes and overload the communications system! I have received over 250 of them in the last 48 hours, and all it takes is one mistake to unleash the virus on your system.

Thankfully, I have a fully up-to-date Norton AV system installed, which stopped every one of them from getting through!

Unless you keep your Anti-Virus software up-to-date, and run a system scan regularly, your computer will now be busy sending out many infected Emails to everyone in your Address Book, without you knowing about it!

They won't know who they are from, as they are anonymous... And all YOU will notice is a slower response to any data you send or receive while you are online.

The classic 'sign' is when your modem is 'busy' doing something in regular 'bursts' of activity, when you are not sending out or requesting information yourself!

Hope this helps you, and other readers, to recognise the signs.

David.

Reply to
David F.

David F. asked, "Was it an autoresponder message,......"

No, David, it was not an auto responder message...didn't keep the original copy unfortunately.

Regards,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

This little bugger:

snipped-for-privacy@mm.html

It's been doing the rounds as it runs its own SMTP engine to transmit and grabs addresses from usenet and email, especially if using OE.

Reply to
Mark W

Well, that's interesting! I wonder how they are dealing with the millions of enquiries they must be getting right now!

David.

Reply to
David F.